1. Logan, B.E., Hamelers, B., Rozendal, R., Schröder, U., Keller, J., Freguia, S., Aelterman, P., Verstraete, W. and Rabaey, K., "Microbial fuel cells: methodology and technology", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 40, No. 17, (2006), 5181-5192.
2. Lovley, D.R., "Microbial fuel cells: novel microbial physiologies and engineering approaches", Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Vol. 17, No. 3, (2006), 327-332.
3. Mohan, S.V., Mohanakrishna, G., Reddy, B.P., Saravanan, R. and Sarma, P.N., "Bioelectricity generation from chemical wastewater treatment in mediatorless (anode) microbial fuel cell (MFC) using selectively enriched hydrogen producing mixed culture under acidophilic microenvironment", Biochemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 39, No. 1, (2008), 121-130.
4. Rahimnejad, M., Ghoreyshi, A.A., Najafpour, G. and Jafary, T., "Power generation from organic substrate in batch and continuous flow microbial fuel cell operations",Applied Energy, Vol. 88, No. 11, (2011), 3999-4004.
5. Rahimnejad, M., Najafpour, G. and Bakeri, G., "Investigation and modeling effective parameters influencing the size of BSA protein nanoparticles as colloidal carrier", Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol. 412, (2012), 96-100.
6. Jafary, T., Rahimnejad, M., Ghoreyshi, A.A., Najafpour, G., Hghparast, F. and Daud, W.R.W., "Assessment of bioelectricity production in microbial fuel cells through series and parallel connections", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 75, (2013), 256-262.
7. Tardast, A., Rahimnejad, M., Najafpour, G., Ghoreyshi, A., Premier, G.C., Bakeri, G. and Oh, S.-E., "Use of artificial neural network for the prediction of bioelectricity production in a membrane less microbial fuel cell", Fuel, Vol. 117, (2014), 697-703.
8. Bond, D.R., Holmes, D.E., Tender, L.M. and Lovley, D.R., "Electrode-reducing microorganisms that harvest energy from marine sediments", Science, Vol. 295,(2002), 483-485.
9. Holmes, D., Bond, D., O’neil, R., Reimers, C., Tender, L. and Lovley, D., "Microbial communities associated with electrodes harvesting electricity from a variety of aquatic sediments", Microbial Ecology, Vol. 48, No. 2, (2004), 178-190.
10. Donovan, C., Dewan, A., Heo, D., Lewandowski, Z. and Beyenal, H., "Sediment microbial fuel cell powering a submersible ultrasonic receiver: New approach to remote monitoring", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 233, (2013), 79-85.
11. Gong, Y., Radachowsky, S.E., Wolf, M., Nielsen, M.E., Girguis, P.R. and Reimers, C.E., "Benthic microbial fuel cell as direct power source for an acoustic modem and seawater oxygen/temperature sensor system", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 45, No. 11, (2011), 5047-5053.
12. Nielsen, M.E., Reimers, C.E., White, H.K., Sharma, S. and Girguis, P.R., "Sustainable energy from deep ocean cold seeps", Energy & Environmental Science, Vol. 1, No. 5, (2008), 584-593.
13. Rezaei, F., Richard, T.L., Brennan, R.A. and Logan, B.E., "Substrate-enhanced microbial fuel cells for improved remote power generation from sediment-based systems", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol.41, No. 11, (2007), 4053-4058.
14. Reimers, C.E., Tender, L.M., Fertig, S. and Wang W., "Harvesting energy from the marine sediment-water interface", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 35, No. 1, (2001), 192-195.
15. Nielsen, M.E., Reimers, C.E. and Stecher, H.A., "Enhanced power from chambered benthic microbial fuel cells", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 41, No. 22, (2007), 7895-7900.
16. An, J., Kim, B., Nam, J., Ng, H.Y. and Chang, I.S., "Comparison in performance of sediment microbial fuel cells according to depth of embedded anode", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 127, (2013), 138-142.
17. Donovan, C., Dewan, A., Heo, D. and Beyenal, H., "Batteryless, wireless sensor powered by a sediment microbial fuel cell", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 42, No. 22, (2008), 8591-8596.
18. Huang, D.-Y., Zhou, S.-G., Chen, Q., Zhao, B., Yuan, Y. and Zhuang, L., "Enhanced anaerobic degradation of organic pollutants in a soil microbial fuel cell", Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 172, (2011), 647-653.
19. Tender, L.M., Gray, S.A., Groveman, E., Lowy, D.A., Kauffman, P., Melhado, J., Tyce, R.C., Flynn, D., Petrecca, R. and Dobarro, J., "The first demonstration of a microbial fuel cell as a viable power supply: Powering a meteorological buoy", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 179, No. 2, (2008), 571-575.
20. Morris, J.M. and Jin, S., "Enhanced biodegradation of hydrocarbon-contaminated sediments using microbial fuel cells" Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 213–214, (2012), 474-477.
21. Yan, Z., Song, N., Cai, H., Tay, J.-H. and Jiang, H., "Enhanced degradation of phenanthrene and pyrene in freshwater sediments by combined employment of sediment microbial fuel cell and amorphous ferric hydroxide", Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 199–200, (2012), 217-225.
22. Jeon, H.J., Seo, K.-w., Lee, S.H., Yang, Y.-H., Kumaran, R.S., Kim, S., Hong, S.W., Choi, Y.S. and Kim, H.J., "Production of algal biomass (Chlorella vulgaris) using sediment microbial fuel cells", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 109, (2012), 308-311.
23. Thomas, Y.R.J., Picot, M., Carer, A., Berder, O., Sentieys, O. and Barrière, F., "A single sediment-microbial fuel cell powering a wireless telecommunication system", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 241, (2013), 703-708.
24. An, J., Lee, S.-J., Ng, H.Y. and Chang, I.S., "Determination of effects of turbulence flow in a cathode environment on electricity generation using a tidal mud-based cylindrical-type sediment microbial fuel cell", Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 91, No. 12, (2010), 2478-2482.
25. Song, T.-S. and Jiang, H.-L., "Effects of sediment pretreatment on the performance of sediment microbial fuel cells", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 102, No. 22, (2011), 10465-10470.
26. Scott, K., Cotlarciuc, I., Head, I., Katuri, K., Hall, D., Lakeman, J. and Browning, D., "Fuel cell power generation from marine sediments: Investigation of cathode materials", Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, Vol. 83, No. 9, (2008), 1244-1254.
27. Scott, K., Cotlarciuc, I., Hall, D., Lakeman, J. and Browning, D., "Power from marine sediment fuel cells: the influence of anode material". Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, Vol. 38, No. 9, (2008), 1313-1319.
28. Sajana, T.K., Ghangrekar, M.M. and Mitra, A., "Effect of presence of cellulose in the freshwater sediment on the performance of sediment microbial fuel cell", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 155, (2014), 84-90.
29. Zhou, Y.-L., Yang, Y., Chen, M., Zhao, Z.-W. and Jiang, H.-L. "To improve the performance of sediment microbial fuel cell through amending colloidal iron oxyhydroxide into freshwater sediments", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 159, (2014), 232-239.
30. Babu, M.L. and Mohan S.V., "Influence of graphite flake addition to sediment on electrogenesis in a sediment-type fuel cell" Bioresource Technology, Vol. 110, (2012), 206-213.
31. He, Z., Shao, H. and Angenent, L.T., "Increased power production from a sediment microbial fuel cell with a rotating cathode" Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 22, No. 12, (2007), 3252-3255.
32. Oh, S.-E. and Logan, B.E., "Proton exchange membrane and electrode surface areas as factors that affect power generation in microbial fuel cells", Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, Vol. 70, no. 2, (2006), 162-169.
33. Manohar, A.K. and Mansfeld, F., "The internal resistance of a microbial fuel cell and its dependence on cell design and operating conditions" Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 54, No. 6, (2009), 1664-1670.
34. Fan, Y., Sharbrough, E. and Liu, H., "Quantification of the internal resistance distribution of microbial fuel cells", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 42, No. 21, (2008), 8101-8107.
35. Gil, G.-C., Chang, I.S. and Kim, B.H. et al., "Operational parameters affecting the performance of a mediator-less microbial fuel cell", Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 18, No. 4, (2003), 327-334.
36. Liu, H., Cheng, S., Logan, B., "Power generation in fed-batch microbial fuel cells as a function of ionic strength, temperature, and reactor configuration", Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 39, No. 14, (2005), 5488-5493