Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering, Central Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tafresh University, Tafresh, Markazi, Iran.
One of the best and most important types of concentrating solar power plants is the linear Fresnel collector. The thermal performance and application of absorber in a solar power plant can be enhanced using direct steam generation technology. A particular discrepancy between the present study and others lies in our attempt at applying a new method for calculating critical heat flux based on Look-up Table. In the current study, effects of nanofluid on the length of the critical heat flux and convection heat transfer coefficient were investigated. The nanoparticles considered in this study were aluminum, silver, nickel, and titanium dioxide at concentrations of 0.01, 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 1 and 2 %. Modeling results revealed that the heat transfer coefficient increased upon enhancing the volumetric concentration of nanoparticles, thereby improving this coefficient at 2 vol. % nickel nanoparticles, which was 10.6 % above the value of pure water. On the other hand, thermal efficiency was enhanced when nickel nanoparticles were dispersed in pure water such that increase rates of thermal efficiency equaled 11.2, 10.8 and 11.3 % in the months of June, July, and August, respectively, when the volume concentration of nanoparticles was 0.5 %.
- Qiu, Y., He, Y.L., Wu, M. and Zheng, Z.J., "A comprehensive model for optical and thermal characterization of a linear Fresnel solar reflector with a trapezoidal cavity receiver", Renewable Energy, Vol. 97, (2016), 129-144. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.05.065).
- Guadamud, E., Olivia, A., Lehmkuhl, O., Rodriguez, I. and Gonzalez, I., "Thermal analysis of a receiver for linear Fresnel reflectors", Energy Procedia, Vol. 69, (2015), 405-414. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.03.047).
- Benyakhlef, S., Al Mers, A., Merroun, O., Bouatem, A., Boutammachte, N., El Alj, S., Ajdad, H., Erregueragui, Z. and Zemmouri, E., "Impact of heliostat curvature on optical performance of linear Fresnel solar concentrators", Renewable Energy, Vol. 89, (2016), 463-474. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.12.018).
- Bellos, E., Tzivanidis, C. and Papadopoulos, A., "Enhancing the performance of a linear Fresnel reflector using nanofluids and internal finned absorber", Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 135, (2019), 237-255. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-6989-1).
- Bellos, E. and Tzivanidis, C., "Multi-criteria evaluation of a nanofluid-based linear Fresnel solar collector", Solar Energy, Vol. 163, (2018), 200-214. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.02.007).
- Zamzamian, S.A.H. and Mansouri, M., "Experimental investigation of the thermal performance of vacuum tube solar collectors (VTSC) using alumina nanofluids", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 5, (2018), 52-60. (https://doi.org/10.30501/jree.2018.88634).
- Alah Rezazadeh, S., Mirzaie, I., Pourmahmoud, N. and Ahmadi, N., "Three dimensional computational fluid dynamics analysis of a proton exchange membrane fuel cell", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 1, No. 1, (2014), 30-42. (https://doi.org/10.30501/jree.2015.70069).
- Lopez-Nunez, O.A., Arturo Alfaro-Ayala, J., Jaramillo, O.A., Ramirez-Minguela, J.J., Carlos Castro, J., Damian-Ascencio, C.E. and Cano-Andrade, S., "A numerical analysis of the energy and entropy generation rate in a linear Fresnel reflector using computational fluid dynamic", Renewable Energy, Vol. 146, (2020), 1083-1100. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.06.144).
- Mokhtari Ardekani, A., Kalantar, V. and Heyhat, M.M., "Experimental study on heat transfer enhancement of nanofluid flow through helical tubes", Advanced Powder Technology, Vol. 30, (2019), 1815-1822. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apt.2019.05.026).
- Bellos, E. and Tzivanidis, C., "A review of concentrating solar thermal collectors with and without nanofluids", Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 135, (2019), 763-786. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7183-1).
- Ghodbane, M., Said, Z., Hachicha, A.A. and Boumeddane, B., "Performance assessment of linear Fresnel solar reflector using MWCNTs/DW nanofluids", Renewable Energy, Vol. 151, (2020), 43-56. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.10.137).
- Bellos, E. and Tzivanidis, C., "Thermal efficiency enhancement of nanofluid-based parabolic trough collectors", Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 135, (2019), 597-608. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7056-7).
- Razeghi, A., Mirzaee, I., Abbasalizadeh, M. and Soltanipour, H., "Al2O3/water nano-fluid forced convective flow in a rectangular curved micro-channel: First and second law analysis, single-phase and multi-phase approach", Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 39, (2017), 2307-2318. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-016-0686-4).
- Razmmand, F. and Mehdipour, R., "Effects of different coatings on thermal stress of solar parabolic trough collector absorber in direct steam generation systems", Thermal Science, Vol. 23, (2019), 727-738. (https://doi.org/10.2298/TSCI161019177R).
- Razmmand, F. and Mehdipour, R., "Studying thermal stresses of a solar absorber in single and two-phase regimes and effects of various coatings on the absorber", Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 55, (2019), 1693-1703. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-018-2525-x).
- Razmmand, F., Mehdipour, R. and Mousavi, S.M., "A numerical investigation on the effect of nanofluids on heat transfer of the solar parabolic trough collectors", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 152, (2019), 624-633. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.02.118).
- Saad Kamel, M., Lezsovits, F. and Kadhim Hussein, A., "Experimental studies of flow boiling heat transfer by using nanofluids", Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 138, (2019), 4019-4043. (https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s10973-019-08333-2).
- Tanase, A., Cheng, S.C., Groeneveld, D.C. and Shan, J.Q., "Diameter effect on critical heat flux", Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 239, (2009), 289-294. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2008.10.008).
- Fang, X., Chen, Y., Zhang, H., Chen, W., Dong, A. and Wang, R., "Heat transfer and critical heat flux of nanofluid boiling: A comprehensive review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 62, (2016), 924-940. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.05.047).
- Bergman, T.L., Lavine, A.S., Incropera, F.P. and Dewitt, D.P., Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer, 8th edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., (2018), New York, USA. (https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Fundamentals+of+Heat+and+Mass+Transfer%2C+8th+Edition-p-9781119353881).
- Sarma, P.K., Srinivas, V., Sharma, K.V., Subrahmanyam, T. and Kakac, S., "A correlation to predict heat transfer coefficient in nucleate boiling on cylindrical heating elements", International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 47, (2008), 347-354. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2007.03.003).
- Shah, M.M., "A general correlation for heat transfer during film condensation inside pipe", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 29, (1979), 547-556. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(79)90058-9).
- Baniamerian, Z., "Analytical modeling of boiling nanofluids", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 31, (2017), 136-144. (https://doi.org/10.2514/1.T4910).
- Corcione, M., "Empirical correlation equations for predicting the effective thermal conductivity and dynamic viscosity of nanofluids", Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 52, (2011), 789-793. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.072).
- Baniamerian, Z. and Mashayekhi, M., "Experimental assessment of saturation behavior of boiling nanofluids: pressure and temperature", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 31, (2017), 732-738. (https://doi.org/10.2514/1.T5081).
- Jayakumar, J.S., Mahajani, S.M., Mandal, J.C., Vijayan, P.K. and Bhoi, R., "Experimental and CFD estimation of heat transfer in helically coiled heat exchangers", Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Vol. 86, (2008), 221-232. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2007.10.021).
- Salehi, N., Lavasani, A.M. and Mehdipour, R., "Effect of tube number on critical heat flux and thermal performance in linear Fresnel collector based on direct steam generation", International Journal of Heat and Technology, Vol. 38, No. 1, (2020), 223-230. (https://doi.org/10.18280/ijht.380124).
- Salehi, N., Lavasani, A.M., Mehdipour, R. and Yazdi, M.E., "Investigation the increased heat performance of direct steam generation of Fresnel power plant using nanoparticles", Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy, Vol. 40, No. 1, (2020), 1-11. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.13480).
- Abbas, R., Munoz, J. and Martinez-Val, J.M., "Steady-state thermal analysis of an innovative receiver for linear Fresnel reflectors", Applied Energy, Vol. 92, (2012), 503-515. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.11.070).
- Borzuei, M. and Baniamerian, Z., "Role of nanoparticles on critical heat flux in convective boiling of nanofluids: Nanoparticle sedimentation and Brownian motion", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 150, (2020), 119299. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.119299).