Document Type : Research Article
School of New Technologies, Department of Energy Systems Engineering, Iran University of Science & Technology, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Energy plays a vital role in all human life activities. Due to the problems caused by fossil fuels in recent decades such as global warming, greenhouse gas emissions, ozone depletion, etc., the use of renewable and clean energy has been considered. An experimental facility for the acquisition of reliable data from Parabolic Trough Solar Collectors (PTCs) was established to develop a robust analytical model. A wide range of Heat Transfer Fluid (HTF) flow rates (0.0372-0.1072 kg/s) and solar radiation (400-900 W/m2) were used to determine PTC parameters such as the outlet temperature of HTF loss and temperature distribution. Vacuum conditions in the receiver were considered effective in terms of thermal efficiency. Also, three types of HTF including two oil fluids (Syltherm 800 and S2) and water were examined. The temperature distribution showed that when Syltherm 800 or S2 passed through the absorber tube, the outlet temperature was higher than water: 2.84 % for Syltherm 800 and 3.72 % for S2. Since the absorber tube temperature was much higher than water, the heat loss in this condition was considered for oil HTF. Of note, the results demonstrated that use of the vacuum tube could diminish heat loss for the oil HTF. The effect of solar intensity increases from 600 W/m2 to 900 W/m2 on the maximum temperature of the receiver tube indicated that when Syltherm 800 was used as an HTF, this temperature increased by 35.1 % (from 167 °C to 219 °C), while this percentage was 32.7 % and 6.8 % for S2 and water, respectively.
- Borzuei, D., Moosavian, S.F. and Farajollahi, M., "On the performance enhancement of the three-blade savonius wind turbine implementing opening valve", Journal of Energy Resources Technology, Vol. 143, No. 5, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4049460).
- Zahedi, R., Ahmadi, A. and Sadeh, M., "Investigation of the load management and environmental impact of the hybrid cogeneration of the wind power plant and fuel cell", Energy Reports, Vol. 7, (2021), 2930-2939. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2021.05.008).
- Kizilkan, O., Kabul, A. and Dincer, I., "Development and performance assessment of a parabolic trough solar collector-based integrated system for an ice-cream factory", Energy, Vol. 100, (2016), 167-176. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.01.098).
- Jamar, A., Majid, Z., Azmi, W., Norhafana, M. and Razak, A., "A review of water heating system for solar energy applications", International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 76, (2016), 178-187. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2016.05.028https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.01.098).
- Chahine, K., Murr, R., Ramadan, M., Hage, H.E. and Khaled, M., "Use of parabolic troughs in HVAC applications–Design calculations and analysis", Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, Vol. 12, (2018), 285-291. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csite.2018.04.016).
- Ahmadi, A., Ehyaei, M.A., Doustgani, A., El Haj Assad, M., Hmida, A., Jamali, D.H., Kumar, R., Li, Z.X. and Razmjoo, A., "Recent residential applications of low-temperature solar collector", Journal of Cleaner Production, (2020), 123549. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.123549).
- Marefati, M., Mehrpooya, M. and Shafii, M.B., "Optical and thermal analysis of a parabolic trough solar collector for production of thermal energy in different climates in Iran with comparison between the conventional nanofluids", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 175, (2018), 294-313. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.12.080).
- Abid, M., Ratlamwala, T. and Atikol, U., "Performance assessment of parabolic dish and parabolic trough solar thermal power plant using nanofluids and molten salts", International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 40, No. 4, (2016), 550-563. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/er.3479).
- Kalogirou, S.A., Solar energy engineering: Processes and systems, Academic Press, (2013). (https://www.google.com/books/edition/Solar_Energy_Engineering/wYRqAAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Kalogirou,+S.A.,+Solar+energy+engineering:+Processes+and+systems,+Academic+Press,+(2013)&pg=PP1&printsec=frontcover)
- Ghodbane, M. and Boumeddane, B., "A numerical analysis of the energy behavior of a parabolic trough concentrator", Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 3, (2016), 671-691. (http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/jfas.v8i3.2).
- Yaghoubi, M., Ahmadi, F. and Bandehee, M., "Analysis of heat losses of absorber tubes of parabolic through collector of Shiraz (Iran) solar power plant", Journal of Clean Energy Technologies, Vol. 1, No. 1, (2013), 33-37. (http://10.7763/JOCET.2013.V1.8).
- Ibrar Hussain, M., Mokheimer, E. and Ahmed, S., "Optimal design of a solar collector for required flux distribution on a tubular receiver", Journal of Energy Resources Technology, Vol. 139, No. 1, (2017). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4035361).
- Kalogirou, S.A., "Solar thermal collectors and applications", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 30, No. 3, (2004), 231-295. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2004.02.001).
- Bellos, E., Tzivanidis, C. and Tsimpoukis, D., "Multi-criteria evaluation of parabolic trough collector with internally finned absorbers", Applied Energy, Vol. 205, (2017), 540-561. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.07.141).
- Bellos, E. and Tzivanidis, C., "Investigation of a star flow insert in a parabolic trough solar collector", Applied Energy, Vol. 224, (2018), 86-102. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.04.099).
- Xiao, X., Zhang, P., Shao, D. and Li, M., "Experimental and numerical heat transfer analysis of a V-cavity absorber for linear parabolic trough solar collector", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 86, (2014), 49-59. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.05.001).
- Bellos, E. and Tzivanidis, C., "Thermal analysis of parabolic trough collector operating with mono and hybrid nanofluids", Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Vol. 26, (2018), 105-115. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2017.10.005).
- Boukelia, T., Mecibah, M. and Laouafi, A., "Performance simulation of parabolic trough solar collector using two fluids (thermic oil and molten salt)", Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 2, (2016), 600-626. (https://doi.org/10.4314/jfas.v8i2.28).
- Dudley, V.E., Kolb, G.J., Mahoney, A.R., Mancini, T.R., Matthews, C.W., Sloan, M. and Kearney, D., "Test results: SEGS LS-2 solar collector", Nasa STI/Recon Technical Report N, Vol. 96, (1994), 11437. https://doi.org/10.2172/70756
- Reddy, K., Kumar, K.R. and Ajay, C., "Experimental investigation of porous disc enhanced receiver for solar parabolic trough collector", Renewable Energy, Vol. 77, (2015), 308-319. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.12.016).
- Chowdhury, M. and Mokheimer, E., "Recent developments in solar and low-temperature heat sources assisted power and cooling systems: A design perspective", Journal of Energy Resources Technology, Vol. 142, No. 4, (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4044562).
- Moosavian, S.F., Borzuei, D. and Ahmadi, A., "Energy, exergy, environmental and economic analysis of the parabolic solar collector with life cycle assessment for different climate conditions", Renewable Energy, Vol. 165, (2021), 301-320. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2020.11.036).
- Behar, O., Khellaf, A. and Mohammedi, K., "A novel parabolic trough solar collector model–Validation with experimental data and comparison to Engineering Equation Solver (EES)", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 106, (2015), 268-281. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.09.045).
- Tagle-Salazar, P.D., Nigam, K. and Rivera-Solorio, C.I., "Heat transfer model for thermal performance analysis of parabolic trough solar collectors using nanofluids", Renewable Energy, Vol. 125, (2018), 334-343. (http://10.1016/j.renene.2018.02.069).
- Swinbank, W.C., "Long‐wave radiation from clear skies", Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, Vol. 89, No. 381, (1963), 339-348. (https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49708938105).
- Duffie, J.A. and Beckman, W.A., Solar engineering of thermal processes, John Wiley & Sons, (2013).(https://doi.org/ 10.1002/9781118671603)
- Tzivanidis, C. and Bellos, E., "The use of parabolic trough collectors for solar cooling–A case study for Athens climate", Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, Vol. 8, (2016), 403-413. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csite.2016.10.003).
- Bergman, T.L., Incropera, F.P., DeWitt, D.P. and Lavine, A.S., Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer, John Wiley & Sons, (2011). (https://www.google.com/books/edition/Fundamentals_of_Heat_and_Mass_Transfer/vvyIoXEywMoC?hl=en)
- Ehyaei, M., Ahmadi, A., El Haj Assad, M., Hachicha, A. and Said, Z.J.S.E., "Energy, exergy and economic analyses for the selection of working fluid and metal oxide nanofluids in a parabolic trough collector", Solar Energy, Vol. 187, (2019), 175-184. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2019.05.046).