Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Shahid Bahonar, P. O. Box: 76175-133, Kerman, Kerman, Iran.
As a result of growing energy demand, shortage of fossil fuel resources, climate change, and environmental protection, the need for renewable energy sources has been growing rapidly. However, there is an urgent need to cope with intermittency and fluctuation of renewable energies. Various energy storage systems are considered as appropriate solutions to the above-mentioned problem. In the present manuscript, a novel compressed carbon dioxide energy storage system was proposed. Furthermore, an extra thermal energy storage with Therminol VP-1 as a working fluid, coupled with Parabolic Trough Collector (PTC), was added to the system. This integration is conducive to rising the inlet temperature of turbines and reducing the work load that should be done by the compressors. In the present study, a method based on software product including Engineering Equation Solver (EES) for determining thermodynamic characters per component and System Advisor Model (SAM) was employed to model the solar field for a desired location. Energy and exergy analyses were conducted to evaluate the whole cycle performance during charging and discharging periods. In this study, the city of Kerman located in the south-eastern part of Iran, with Direct Normal Incidence (DNI) of 950 , was selected for the present modeling. The results of a random day (June 22/2019) at time 15:00 represented the exergy efficiency of 66.98 % and the round trip efficiency of 93.14 %. High exergy efficiency and round trip efficiency of this system make this idea applicable to enhancing the total performance of the entire system.
- Zhang, Y., Yao, E., Zhang, X. and Yang, K., "Thermodynamic analysis of a novel compressed carbon dioxide energy storage system with low-temperature thermal storage", International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 44, No. 8, (2020), 6531-6554. (https://doi.org/10.1002/er.5387).
- Rehman, S., Al-Hadhrami, L. and Alam, M., "Pumped hydro energy storage system: A technological review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 44, (2015), 586-598. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.12.040).
- Wang, M., Zhao, P., Wu, Y. and Dai, Y., "Performance analysis of a novel energy storage system based on liquid carbon dioxide", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 91, (2015), 812-823. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng..08.081).
- Zhou, Q., Du, D., Lu, C., He, Q. and Liu, W., "A review of thermal energy storage in compressed air energy storage system", Energy, Vol. 188, (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.115993).
- Kere, A., Goetz, V., Py, X., Olives, R., Sadiki, N. and Mercier, E., "Dynamic behavior of a sensible-heat based thermal energy storage", Energy Procedia, Vol. 49, (2014), 830-839. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.03.090).
- Guizzi, G.L., Manno, M., Tolomei, L.M. and Vitali, R.M., "Thermodynamic analysis of a liquid air energy storage system", Energy, Vol. 93, No. 1977, (2015) 1639-1647. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.10.030).
- Baxter, J.W. and Bumby, J.R., "Fuzzy control of a mobil robotic vehicle", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I : Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, Vol. 209, No. 2, (1995). (https://doi.org/10.1243/PIME_PROC_1995_209_369_02).
- Chen, H., Goswami, D.Y. and Stefanakos, E.K., "A review of thermodynamic cycles and working fluids for the conversion of low-grade heat", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, No. 9, (2010), 3059-3067. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2010.07.006).
- Rony, R.U., Yang, H., Krishnan, S. and Song, J., "Recent advances in transcritical CO2 (R744) heat pump system: A review", Energies, Vol. 12, No. 3, (2019). (https://doi.org/10.3390/en12030457).
- Alami, A.H., Hawili, A., Hassan, R., Al-Hemyari, M. and Aokal, K., "Experimental study of carbon dioxide as working fluid in a closed-loop compressed gas energy storage system", Renewable Energy, Vol. 134, (2019), 603-611. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2018.11.046).
- Mercangöz, M., Hemrle, J., Kaufmann, L., Z’Graggen, A. and Ohler, C., "Electrothermal energy storage with transcritical CO2 cycles", Energy, Vol. 45, No. 1, (2012), 407-415. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2012.03.013).
- Liu, H., He, Q., Borgia, A., Pan, L., and Oldenburg, C.M., "Thermodynamic analysis of a compressed carbon dioxide energy storage system using two saline aquifers at different depths as storage reservoirs", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 127, (2016), 149-159. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.08.096).
- Liu, Z., Liu, B., Guo, J., Xin, X. and Yang, X., "Conventional and advanced exergy analysis of a novel transcritical compressed carbon dioxide energy storage system", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 198, No. July, (2019), 111807. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2019.111807).
- Zhang, Y., Yang, K., Hong, H., Zhong, X. and Xu, J., "Thermodynamic analysis of a novel energy storage system with carbon dioxide as working fluid", Renewable Energy, Vol. 99, (2016), 682-697. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.07.048).
- Bishoyi, D. and Sudhakar, K., "Modeling and performance simulation of 100 MW LFR based solar thermal power plant in Udaipur India", Resource-Efficient Technologies, Vol. 3, No. 4, (2017), 365-377. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reffit.2017.02.002).
- Zhang, Y., Liang, T., Yang, C., Zhang, X. and Yang, K., "Advanced exergy analysis of an integrated energy storage system based on transcritical CO2 energy storage and Organic Rankine Cycle", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 216, No. April, (2020), 112938. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2020.112938).
- Zhang, Y. and Yao, E., "Comparative analysis of compressed carbon dioxide energy storage system and compressed air energy storage system under low-temperature conditions based on conventional and advanced exergy methods", Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 35, No. October 2020, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2021.102274).
- Zhang, Y., Yao, E., Tian, Z., Gao, W. and Yang, K., "Exergy destruction analysis of a low-temperature compressed carbon dioxide energy storage system based on conventional and advanced exergy methods", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 185, No. August 2020, (2021), 116421. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.116421).
- Kreith, F., "CRC Handbook of Thermal Engineering", Cycle, (2000), (https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783540663492).