Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering of Biosystems, Shahrekord University, Shahrekord, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari, Iran.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Najafabad, Iran.
Aerospace and Energy Conversion Research Center, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Najafabad, Iran
To investigate the possibility of using fuel for plant origin in a diesel generator, safflower methyl ester was prepared and used as a biodiesel. In this research, biodiesel was produced through a transesterification reaction using a hydrodynamic reactor, which increased the reaction efficiency and reduced fuel production time. Upon increasing the reaction time from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, the reaction performance increased by 5.5 %. Then, its important features complied with ASTM D-6751 standard. The performance and pollution indices of the diesel generator engine were tested with compounds B0, B20, B50, B80 and B100. The results of short-term engine tests showed that by increasing the share of biodiesel to 20 %, CO emissions were reduced by 21 % compared to pure diesel fuel, but the amount of NOX increased by 0.82 % compared to diesel. Also, the use of 20 % volume of biodiesel in the fuel composition increased the thermal efficiency of braking, braking power, and braking torque of fuel, compared to diesel. Also, the specific fuel consumption of B20 was reduced by 2 %, which is very important economically. Finally, the TOPSIS analysis illustrated that B50 fuel outperformed pure diesel fuel and other listed fuel combinations.
- Caliskan, H., "Environmental and enviroeconomic researches on diesel engines with diesel and biodiesel fuels", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 154, (2017), 125-129. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.03.168).
- Brennan, L. and Owende, P., "Biofuels from microalgae-A review of technologies for production, processing, and extractions of biofuels and co-products", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, No. 2, (2010), 557-577. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2009.10.009).
- Demirbas, A., "Biodiesel for future transportation energy needs", Energy Sources, Vol. 32, No. 16, (2010), 1490-1508. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15567030903078335).
- Demirbas, A., "Progress and recent trends in biodiesel fuels", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 50, No. 1, (2009), 14-34. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2008.09.001).
- Aransiola, E.F., Ojumu, T.V., Oyekola, O., Madzimbamuto, T. and Ikhu-Omoregbe, D., "A review of current technology for biodiesel production: State of the art", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 61, (2014), 276-297. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2013.11.014).
- Makareviciene, V., Skorupskaite, V., Levisauskas, D., Andruleviciute, V. and Kazancev, K., "The optimization of biodiesel fuel production from microalgae oil using response surface methodology", International Journal of Green Energy, Vol. 11, No. 5, (2014), 527-541. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15435075.2013.777911).
- Shahid, E.M. and Jamal, Y., "Production of biodiesel: A technical review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 19, No. 9, (2011), 4732-4745. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.079).
- Atadashi, I., Aroua, M.K,. Aziz, A.A. and Sulaiman, N.M.N., "Production of biodiesel using high free fatty acid feedstocks", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16, No. 5, (2012), 3275-3285. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.02.063).
- Ito, T., Sakurai, Y., Kakuta, Y., Sugano, M. and Hirano, K., "Biodiesel production from waste animal fats using pyrolysis method", Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 94, No. 1, (2012), 47-52. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2011.10.004).
- Rashtizadeh, E., Farzaneh, F. and Ghandi, M., "A comparative study of KOH loaded on double aluminosilicate layers, microporous and mesoporous materials as catalyst for biodiesel production via transesterification of soybean oil", Fuel, Vol. 89, No. 11, (2010), 3393-3398. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.05.039).
- Abbaszaadeh, A., Ghobadian, B., Omidkhah, M.R. and Najafi, G., "Current biodiesel production technologies: A comparative review", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 63, (2012), 138-148. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.02.027).
- Saifuddin, N., Samiuddin, A. and Kumaran, P., "A review on processing technology for biodiesel production", Trends in Applied Sciences Research, Vol. 10, No. 1, (2015), 1. (https://doi.org/10.3923/tasr.2015.1.37).
- Lin, L., Cunshan, Z., Vittayapadung, S., Shen, X. and Dong, M., "Opportunities and challenges for biodiesel fuel", Applied Energy, Vol. 88, No. 4, (2011), 1020-1031. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.09.029).
- Qiu, Z., Zhao, L. and Weatherley, L., "Process intensification technologies in continuous biodiesel production", Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, Vol. 49, No. 4, (2010), 323-330. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2010.03.005).
- Hosseinzadeh Samani, B., Behruzian, M., Najafi, G., Fayyazi, E., Ghobadian, B., Behruzian, A., Mofijur, M., Mazlan, M. and Yue, J., "The rotor-stator type hydrodynamic cavitation reactor approach for enhanced biodiesel fuel production", Fuel, Vol. 283, (2021), 118821. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2020.118821).
- Ji, J., Wang, J., Li, Y., Yu, Y. and Xu, Z., "Preparation of biodiesel with the help of ultrasonic and hydrodynamic cavitation", Ultrasonics, Vol. 44, (2006), e411-e414. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2006.05.020).
- Raheman, H. and Ghadge, S., "Performance of diesel engine with biodiesel at varying compression ratio and ignition timing", Fuel, Vol. 87, No. 12, (2008), 2659-2666. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2008.03.006).
- Xue, J., Grift, T.E. and Hansen, A.C., "Effect of biodiesel on engine performances and emissions", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, No. 2, (2011), 1098-1116. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2010.11.016).
- Pal, A., Verma, A., Kachhwaha, S.S. and Maji, S., "Biodiesel production through hydrodynamic cavitation and performance testing", Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, No. 3, (2010), 619-624. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2009.08.027).
- Abed, K., Gad, M., El Morsi, A., Sayed, M. and AbuElyazeed, S., "Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions", Egyptian Journal of Petroleum, Vol. 28, No. 2, (2019), 183-188. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpe.2019.03.001).
- Nedayali, A. and Shirneshan, A.R., "Experimental study of the effects of biodiesel on the performance of a diesel power generator", Energy & Environment, Vol. 27, No. 5, (2016), 553-565. (https://doi.org/10.1177/0958305X15627550).
- Duz, M.Z., Saydut, A. and Ozturk, G., "Alkali catalyzed transesterification of safflower seed oil assisted by microwave irradiation", Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 92, No. 3, (2011), 308-313. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2010.09.020).
- Gogate, P.R., Tayal, R.K. and Pandit, A.B., "Cavitation: A technology on the horizon", Current Science, Vol. 91, (2006), 35-46. (https://www.jstor.org/stable/24094173?seq=1).
- Tabatabaei, M., Aghbashlo, M., Dehhaghi, M., Shariat Panahi, H., Molla Hosseini, A., Hosseini, M. and Soufiyan, M., "Reactor technologies for biodiesel production and processing: A review", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 74, (2019), 239-303. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2019.06.001).
- Tahvildari, K. and Amani, M., "Preparation of biodiesel from saffllower oil and study of ITS 20 % mixure whit diesel fuel", Applide Researches in Chemistry, Vol. 4, (2010). (https://www.sid.ir/en/Journal/ViewPaper.aspx?ID=190122).
- Knothe, G. and Steidley, K.R., "Kinematic viscosity of biodiesel components (fatty acid alkyl esters) and related compounds at low temperatures", Fuel, Vol. 86, No. 16, (2007), 2560-2567. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.02.006).
- El Diwani, G., Attia, N. and Hawash, S., "Development and evaluation of biodiesel fuel and by-products from jatropha oil", International Journal of Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 2, (2009), 219-224. (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03327625).
- Sheng, C. and Azevedo, J., "Estimating the higher heating value of biomass fuels from basic analysis data", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 28, No. 5, (2005), 499-507. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2004.11.008).
- Fayyazi, E., Ghobadian, B., van de Bovenkamp, H.H., Najafi, G., Hosseinzadeh Samani, B., Heeres, H. and Yue, J., "Optimization of biodiesel production over chicken eggshell-derived CaO catalyst in a continuous centrifugal contactor separator" Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 57, No. 38, (2018), 12742-12755. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.8b02678).
- Farvardin, M., Hosseinzadeh Samani, B., Rostami, S., Abbaszadeh-Mayvan, A., Najafi, G. and Fayyazi, E., "Enhancement of biodiesel production from waste cooking oil: Ultrasonic-hydrodynamic combined cavitation system", Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Vol. 41, (2019), 1-15. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2019.1657524).
- Rahimi, M., Mohammadi, F., Basiri, M., Parsamoghadam, M. and Masahi, M., "Transesterification of soybean oil in four-way micromixers for biodiesel production using a cosolvent", Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 64, (2016), 203-210. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtice.2016.04.023).
- Wang, Y., Ou, S., Liu, P., Xue, F. and Tang, S., "Comparison of two different processes to synthesize biodiesel by waste cooking oil", Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, Vol. 252, No. 2, (2006), 107-112. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcata.2006.02.047).
- Wang, T.-C. and Chang, T.-H., "Application of TOPSIS in evaluating initial training aircraft under a fuzzy environment", Expert Systems with Applications. Vol. 33, No. 4, (2007), 870-880. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2006.07.003).
- Fathi, M.R., Matin, H.Z., Zarchi, M.K. and Azizollahi, S., "The application of fuzzy TOPSIS approach to personnel selection for Padir Company, Iran", Journal of Management Research, Vol. 3, No. 2, (2011), 1-14. (https://doi.org/10.5296/jmr.v3i2.663).
- Ushakov, S., Valland, H. and Æsøy, V., "Combustion and emissions characteristics of fish oil fuel in a heavy-duty diesel engine", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 65, (2013), 228-238. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.08.009).
- Tyson, K.S., "Biodiesel handling and use guidelines", US Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy; (2006). (https://afdc.energy.gov/files/u/publication/biodiesel_handling_use_guide.pdf).
- Pinto, A.C., Guarieiro, L.L., Rezende, M.J., Ribeiro, N.M., Torres, E.A., Lopes, W.A., Pereira, P. and Andrade, J.B., "Biodiesel: An overview", Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, Vol. 16, No. 6B, (2005), 1313-1330. (https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-50532005000800003).
- Buyukkaya, E., "Effects of biodiesel on a DI diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics", Fuel, Vol. 89, No. 10, (2010), 3099-3105. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.05.034).
- Allami, H.A., Tabasizadeh, M., Rohani, A., Nayebzadeh, H. and Farzad, A., "Effect of ultrasonic irradiation on the properties and performance of biodiesel produced from date seed oil used in the diesel engine", Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, Vol, 60, (2020), 104672. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2019.104672).
- Köse, H. and Acaroğlu, M., "The effect of hydrogen addition to Cynara biodiesel on engine performance and emissions in diesel engine", Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Vol. 42, (2020), 1-20. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2020.1765904).
- Gad, M., El-Araby, R., Abed, K., Ibiari, E.I., El Morsi, A.K. and El-Diwani, G.I., "Performance and emissions characteristics of CI engine fueled with palm oil/palm oil methyl ester blended with diesel fuel", Egyptian Journal of Petroleum, Vol. 27, No. 2, (2018), 215-219. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpe.2017.05.009).
- Behçet, R., "Performance and emission study of waste anchovy fish biodiesel in a diesel engine", Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 92, No. 6, (2011), 1187-1194. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2011.01.012).
- Hosseinzadeh Samani, B., Ansari Samani, M., Shirneshan, A.R., Fayyazi, E., Najafi, E. and Rostami, S., "Evaluation of an enhanced ultrasonic-assisted biodiesel synthesized using safflower oil in a diesel power generator", Biofuels, Vol. 11, No. 4, (2020), 523-532. (https://doi.org/10.1080/17597269.2019.1646542).
- Shirneshan, A.R., Almassi, M., Ghobadian, B. and Najafi, G.H., "Investigating the effects of biodiesel from waste cooking oil and engine operating conditions on the diesel engine performance by response surface methodology", Iranian Journal of Science and Technology-Transactions of Mechanical Engineering, Vol, 38, No. M2, (2014), 289-301. (https://doi.org/10.22099/IJSTM.2014.2496).
- Lapuerta, M., Armas, O. and Rodriguez-Fernandez, J., "Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 34, No. 2, (2008), 198-223. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2007.07.001).
- Aydin, H. and Bayindir, H., "Performance and emission analysis of cottonseed oil methyl ester in a diesel engine", Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, No. 3, (2010), 588-592. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2009.08.009).
- Murillo, S., Miguez, J., Porteiro, J., Granada, E. and Mora´n, J.C., "Performance and exhaust emissions in the use of biodiesel in outboard diesel engines", Fuel, Vol. 86, No. 12-13, (2007), 1765-1771. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2006.11.031).
- Ghobadian, B., Rahimi, H., Nikbakht, A. and Yusaf, T.F., "Diesel engine performance and exhaust emission analysis using waste cooking biodiesel fuel with an artificial neural network", Renewable Energy, Vol. 34, No. 4, (2009), 976-982. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2008.08.008).
- Ramadhas, A., Muraleedharan, C. and Jayaraj, S., "Performance and emission evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with methyl esters of rubber seed oil", Renewable Energy, Vol. 30, No. 12, (2005), 1789-1800. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2005.01.009).
- Lin, B.-F., Huang, J.-H. and Huang, D.-Y., "Experimental study of the effects of vegetable oil methyl ester on DI diesel engine performance characteristics and pollutant emissions", Fuel, Vol. 88, No. 9, (2009), 1779-1785. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2009.04.006).
- Shirneshan, A.R., Hosseinzadeh Samani, B. and Nedayali, A., "Artificial neural network model to predict the performance of a diesel power generator fueled with biodiesel", The Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 42, No. 42, (2016), 43-50. (https://iranjournals.nlai.ir/handle/123456789/649544).
- Luján, J., Bermúdez, V., Tormos, B. and Pla, B., "Comparative analysis of a DI diesel engine fuelled with biodiesel blends during the European MVEG-A cycle: Performance and emissions (II)", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 33, No. 6-7, (2009), 948-956. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2009.02.003).
- Labeckas, G. and Slavinskas, S., "The effect of rapeseed oil methyl ester on direct injection diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 47, No. 13-14, (2006), 1954-1967. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.09.003).
- Song, J. and Zhang, C., "An experimental study on the performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine fuelled with soybean oil methyl ester", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 222, No. 12, (2008), 2487-2496. (https://doi.org/10.1243/09544070JAUTO932).
- Canakci, M., Ozsezen, A.N., Arcaklioglu, E. and Erdil, A., "Prediction of performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine fueled with biodiesel produced from waste frying palm oil", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, No. 5, (2009), 9268-9280. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2008.12.005).