Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
The greenhouse problem has a significant effect on our communities, health, and climate. So, the capturing techniques for CO2 remain the focus of attention these days. In this work, a Chemical Looping Combustor (CLC) was designed and fabricated with the major geometric sizes at the Faculty of Engineering, Suez Canal University. The system involves two interconnected fluidized beds. Nickel powder with 150 µm diameter as well as brown coal and liquefied petroleum gas were used as oxygen carrier, solid fuel, and gaseous fuel, respectively. The temperature distributions along the fuel reactor for LPG flow rates of 11 and 18 LPM with and without using nickel powder as well as using preheated reactor were discussed and evaluated. The effects of brown coal diameter change with and without using nickel powder were studied. The CO and CO2 concentrations at combustion gases with and without using nickel powder were conducted for LPG and brown coal fuels. A mathematical model was used to simulate the combustion in CLC using combustion and energy code. The obtained results showed that using nickel powder improved the combustion process and in case of using LPG, the flame color changed to blue which is the color of the complete combustion flame. The CO was reduced by 48.4 % and CO2 was augmented by 66.5 %. In case of using brown coal as solid fuel, CO was reduced by 53.7 % and CO2 was increased by 71.9 %. Finally, there is good agreement between the experimental and numerical results based on the determination coefficient.
- Karl, R. and Trenberth, K., "Modern global climate change", Science, Vol. 302, (2003), 1719-1723. (https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1090228).
- Chan., E.Y., "Climate change is the world's greatest threat–In Celsius or Fahrenheit", Journal of Environmental Psychology, Vol. 60, (2018), 21-26. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2018.09.002).
- Pelletier, C., Rogaume, Y., Dieckhoff, L., Bardeau, G., Pons, M.-N. and Dufour, A., "Effect of combustion technology and biogenic CO2 impact factor on global warming potential of wood-to-heat chains", Applied Energy, Vol. 235, (2019), 1381-1388. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.11.060).
- IPCC, IPCC special report: Carbon dioxide capture and storage, (2005). (Accessed: 10 July 2016) (https://www.ipcc.ch/report/carbon-dioxide-capture-and-storage/).
- Cho, P., Mattisson, T. and Lyngfelt, A., "Comparison of iron-, nickel-, copper and manganese-based oxygen carriers for chemical-looping combustion", Fuel, Vol. 83, (2004), 1215-1225. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2003.11.013).
- Lyngfelt, A., Leckner, B. and Mattisson, T., "A fluidized-bed combustion process with inherent CO2 separation; Application of chemical looping combustion", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 56, (2001), 3101-3113. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2509(01)00007-0).
- Ma, J., Zhao, H., Tian, X., Wei, Y., Zhang, Y. and Zheng, C., "Continuous operation of interconnected fluidized bed reactor for chemical looping combustion of CH4 using hematite as oxygen carrier", Energy Fuels, Vol. 29, (2015), 3257-3267. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ef502881x).
- Linderholm, C. and Schmitz, M., "Chemical-looping combustion of solid fuels in a 100 kW dual circulating fluidized bed system using iron ore as oxygen carrier", Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Vol. 4, (2016), 1029-1039. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.01.006).
- Pérez-Vega, R., Abad, A., García-Labiano, F., Gayán, P., Luis, F. and Adánez, J., "Coal combustion in a 50 kWth chemical looping combustion unit: Seeking operating conditions to maximize CO2 capture and combustion efficiency", International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 50, (2016), 80-92. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.04.006).
- Lewis, W.K., Gilliland, E.R. and Sweeney, W.P., "Gasification of carbon metal oxides in a fluidized power bed", Chemical Engineering Progress, Vol. 47, (1951), 251-256. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50474a017).
- Ishida, M. and Jin, H., "A novel combustor based on chemical-looping combustion reactions and its reactions kinetics", Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, Vol. 27, (1994), 296-301. (https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.27.296).
- Lyngfelt, A. and Mattisson, T., "Materials for chemical-looping combustion", Process Engineering for CCS Power Plants, (2011), 475-504. (https://www.worldcat.org/title/process-engineering-for-ccs-power-plants/oclc/740976968).
- Lyngfelt, A., "Oxygen carriers for chemical looping combustion - 4000 h of operational experience", Oil & Gas Science and Technology, Vol. 66, (2011), 161-172. (https://doi.org/10.2516/ogst/2010038).
- Hoteit, A., Forret, A., Pelletant, W., Roesler, J. and Gauthier, T., "Chemical-looping combustion with different types of liquid fuels", Oil & Gas Science and Technology, Vol. 66, (2011), 193-199. (https://doi.org/10.2516/ogst/2010022).
- Moldenhauer, P., Ryd´en, M., Mattisson, T. and Lyngfelt, A., "Chemical-looping combustion and chemical-looping with oxygen uncoupling of kerosene with Mn- and Cu-based oxygen carriers in a circulating fluidized-bed 300 W laboratory reactor", Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 104, (2012), 378-389. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2012.06.013).
- 16. Leion, H., Mattisson, T. and Lyngfelt, A., "The use of petroleum coke as fuel in chemical-looping combustion", Fuel, 86, (2007), 1947-1958. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2006.11.037).
- Jerndal, E., Mattisson, T. and Lyngfelt, A., "Thermal analysis of chemical-looping combustion", Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Vol. 84, (2006), 795-806. (https://doi.org/10.1205/cherd05020).
- Ishida, M., Jin, H. and Okamoto, T., "A fundamental study of a new kind of medium material for chemical-looping combustion", Energy Fuel, Vol. 10, (1996), 958-963. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ef950173n).
- Nakano, Y., Iwamoto, S., Maeda, T., Ishida, M. and Akehata, T., "Characteristics of reduction and oxidation cycle process by use of a Fe2O3 medium", Iron Steel J Jpn, Vol. 72, (1986), 1521-1528.
- Jin, H. and Ishida, M., "Reactivity study on natural-gas-fuelled chemical looping combustion by a fixed-bed reactor", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 41, (2002), 4004-4007. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ie020184l).
- Mattisson, T., Lyngfelt, A. and Cho, P., "The use of iron oxide as oxygen carrier in chemical-looping combustion of methane with inherent separation of CO2", Fuel, Vol. 80, (2001), 1953-1962. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-2361(01)00051-5).
- Mattisson, T., Järdnäs, A. and Lyngfelt, A., "Reactivity of some metal oxide supported on alumina with alternating methane and oxygen application for chemical-looping combustion", Energy Fuels, Vol. 17, (2003), 643–651. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ef020151i).
- Coleman, H.W. and Glenn Steele, W., Experimentation and uncertainty analysis for engineers, Wiley, New York, (1999). (https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Experimentation%2C+Validation%2C+and+Uncertainty+Analysis+for+Engineers%2C+4th+Edition-p-9781119417514).
- Holman, J.P., Experimental method for engineers, 6th ed., McGraw-Hill, Singapore, (1994). (https://www.amazon.com/Experimental-Methods-Engineers-J-Holman/dp/0070296669).
- Ismail, T.M., Ramzy,K., Abelwhab, M.N., Elnaghi, B.E., Abd El-Salam, M. and Ismail, M.I., "Performance of hybrid compression ignition engine using hydroxy (HHO) from dry cell", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 155, (2018), 287-300. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.10.076).
- Yaws, C.L. and Braker, W., "Flammability characteristics of combustible gases and vapors", Matheson gas data book, New York: Parsippany, NJ: Matheson Tri-Gas, Vol. 443, (2001). (https://www.worldcat.org/title/matheson-gas-data-book/oclc/46685585).
- Koshiba, Y., Hasegawa, T., Kim, B. and Ohtani, H., "Flammability limits, explosion pressures, and applicability of Le Chatelier”s rule to binary alkane–nitrous oxide mixtures", Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 45, (2017), 1-8. (https://ynu.repo.nii.ac.jp/?action=repository_action_common_download&item_id=9396&item_no=1&attribute_id=20&file_no=1).
- Maindonald, J. and Braun, J., Data analysis and graphics using R: An example-based approach, Cambridge University Press, (2006). (https://www.amazon.com/Data-Analysis-Graphics-Using-Example-Based/dp/0521762936).