Document Type : Research Article
1 Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Science and Technology of Mazandaran, P. O. Box: 48518-78195, Behshahr, Mazandaran, Iran.
2 Biotechnology Group, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University, P. O. Box: 14115-143, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
3 Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Research Center of Iran (CCERCI), P. O. Box: 14335-186, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Long mixing time, high power consumption, and small mass transfer coefficients are common problems in the photobioreactor design for microalgae culture which have a great effect on system efficiency and performance, CO2 stabilization, and biomass production. In this study, a special design of the triangular external loop airlift photobioreactor was studied. The bioreactor's geometry was such that the angle between hypotenuse and the horizontal side ( ) could vary. This configuration created an effective gas-liquid countercurrent flow in the downcomer section. In the present research, hydrodynamic and mass transfer of the reactor were investigated on the microalgae productivity under different design and operating parameters. The optimum conditions for the enhancement of Chlorella vulgaris productivity were explored by analyzing the mixing time ( ), volumetric power consumption (P/V), mass transfer coefficients ( ), bubble diameter (d), and gas holdup ( ) as responses. The results showed that the hypotenuse angle of = 59o and the superficial gas velocities of the = 0.0050 m.s-1 for the downcomer and = 0.008 m.s-1 for the riser of the reactor were the best conditions to achieve the highest biomass productivity. The responses’ values obtained in the optimum condition were as follows: = 19.67 (h-1), = 23.79 (h-1), = 23.76 (h-1), = 0.41, and = 62.83 , which had a smaller deviation than the actual values. The highest concentration of Chlorella vulgaris ( 1.4 g.l-1) achieved in this work was obtained in a shorter span of time (11th day of cultivation) based on the growth curve in optimized conditions.
- Tagliaferro, G.V., Izário Filho, H.J., Chandel, A.K., da Silva, S.S., Silva, M.B. and dos Santos, J.C., "Continuous cultivation of Chlorella minutissima 26a in a tube-cylinder internal-loop airlift photobioreactor to support 3G biorefineries", Renewable Energy, Vol. 130, (2019), 439-445. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2018.06.041).
- Carvalho, A.P., Meireles, L.A. and Malcata, F.X., "Microalgal reactors: A review of enclosed system designs and performances", Biotechnology Progress, Vol. 22, No. 6, (2006), 1490-1506. (https://doi.org/10.1021/bp060065r).
- Essadki, A., Bennajah, M., Gourich, B., Vial, C., Azzi, M. and Delmas, H., "Electrocoagulation/electroflotation in an external-loop airlift reactor—Application to the decolorization of textile dye wastewater: A case study", Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, Vol. 47, No. 8, (2008), 1211-1223. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2007.03.013).
- Choi, K.H., "Hydrodynamic and mass transfer characteristics of external-loop airlift reactors without an extension tube above the downcomer", Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 2, (2001), 240-246. (https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02698466).
- Nikakhtari, H. and Hill, G.A., "Continuous bioremediation of phenol‐polluted air in an external loop airlift bioreactor with a packed bed", Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology: International Research in Process, Environmental & Clean Technology, Vol. 81, No. 6, (2006), 1029-1038. (https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.1520).
- Bahadar, A. and Khan, M.B., "Progress in energy from microalgae: A review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 27, (2013), 128-148. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.06.029).
- Barbosa, M.J., Janssen, M., Ham, N., Tramper, J. and Wijffels, R.H., "Microalgae cultivation in air‐lift reactors: Modeling biomass yield and growth rate as a function of mixing frequency", Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 82, No. 2, (2003), 170-179. (https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.10563).
- Zeng, X., Danquah, M.K., Chen, X.D. and Lu, Y., "Microalgae bioengineering: From CO2 fixation to biofuel production", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, No. 6, (2011), 3252-3260. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.04.014).
- Scarsella, M., Torzillo, G., Cicci, A., Belotti, G., De Filippis, P. and Bravi, M., "Mechanical stress tolerance of two microalgae", Process Biochemistry, Vol. 47, No. 11, (2012), 1603-1611. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2011.07.002).
- Powtongsook, S., Kaewpintong, K., Shotipruk, A. and Pavasant, P., "Effect of superficial gas velocity on growth of the green microalga haematococcus pluvialis in airlift photobioreactor", Studies in surface science and catalysis, Elsevier, (2006),.481-484. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2991(06)81638-1).
- Hoseinkhani, N., Jalili, H., Ansari, S. and Amrane, A., "Impact of bubble size on docosahexaenoic acid production by Crypthecodinium cohnii in bubble column bioreactor", Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, Vol. 11, (2019), 1137-1144. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-019-00510-5).
- Ugwu, C., Aoyagi, H. and Uchiyama, H., "Photobioreactors for mass cultivation of algae", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 99, No. 10, (2008), 4021-4028. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.01.046).
- Barahoei, M., Hatamipour, M.S. and Afsharzadeh, S., "CO2 capturing by Chlorella vulgaris in a bubble column photo-bioreactor; Effect of bubble size on CO2 removal and growth rate", Journal of CO2 Utilization, Vol. 37, (2020), 9-19. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcou.2019.11.023).
- Geng, S., Li, Z., Liu, H., Yang, C., Gao, F., He, T. and Huang, Q., "Hydrodynamics and mass transfer in a slurry external airlift loop reactor integrating mixing and separation", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 211, (2020), 115294. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2019.115294).
- Zhang, L., Wu, M., Han, Y., Liu, M. and Niu, J., "Structural parameter optimization for novel internal-loop iron–carbon micro-electrolysis reactors using computational fluid dynamics", Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 4, (2019), 737-744. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjche.2018.08.001).
- Reyna-Velarde, R., Cristiani-Urbina, E., Hernández-Melchor, D.J., Thalasso, F. and Cañizares-Villanueva, R.O., "Hydrodynamic and mass transfer characterization of a flat-panel airlift photobioreactor with high light path", Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, Vol. 49, No. 1, (2010), 97-103. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2009.11.014).
- Fadavi, A. and Chisti, Y., "Gas holdup and mixing characteristics of a novel forced circulation loop reactor", Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 131, No. 1-3, (2007), 105-111. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2006.12.037).
- Yazdian, F., Hajiabbas, M.P., Shojaosadati, S.A., Nosrati, M., Vasheghani-Farahani, E. and Mehrnia, M., "Study of hydrodynamics, mass transfer, energy consumption, and biomass production from natural gas in a forced-liquid vertical tubular loop bioreactor", Biochemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 49, No. 2, (2010), 192-200. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2009.12.013).
- Yazdian, F., Shojaosadati, S.A., Nosrati, M., Mehrnia, M. and Vasheghani-Farahani, E., "Study of geometry and operational conditions on mixing time, gas hold up, mass transfer, flow regime and biomass production from natural gas in a horizontal tubular loop bioreactor", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 64, No. 3, (2009), 540-547. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2008.09.031).
- Gao, X., Kong, B. and Vigil, R.D., "Multiphysics simulation of algal growth in an airlift photobioreactor: Effects of fluid mixing and shear stress", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 251, (2018), 75-83. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.12.014).
- Chiu, S.Y., Tsai, M.T., Kao, C.Y., Ong, S.C. and Lin, C.S., "The air‐lift photobioreactors with flow patterning for high‐density cultures of microalgae and carbon dioxide removal", Engineering in Life Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 3, (2009), 254-260. (https://doi.org/10.1002/elsc.200800113).
- Lakaniemi, A.M., Intihar, V.M., Tuovinen, O.H. and Puhakka, J.A., "Growth of Chlorella vulgaris and associated bacteria in photobioreactors", Microbial Biotechnology, Vol. 5, No. 1, (2012), 69-78. (https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-7915.2011.00298.x).
- Posten, C., "Design principles of photo‐bioreactors for cultivation of microalgae", Engineering in Life Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 3, (2009), 165-177. (https://doi.org/10.1002/elsc.200900003).
- Mendoza, J., Granados, M., De Godos, I., Acién, F., Molina, E., Banks, C. and Heaven, S., "Fluid-dynamic characterization of real-scale raceway reactors for microalgae production", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 54, (2013), 267-275. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2013.03.017).
- Verlaan, P., Van Eijs, A., Tramper, J., Van't Riet, K. and Luyben, K.C.A., "Estimation of axial dispersion in individual sections of an airlift-loop reactor", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 44, No. 5, (1989), 1139-1146. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(89)87013-7).
- Shadpoor, S., Pirouzi, A., Hamze, H. and Mazaheri, D., "Determination of bodenstein number and axial dispersion of a triangular external loop airlift reactor", Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Vol. 165, (2021), 61-68. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2020.10.018).
- Guo, X., Yao, L. and Huang, Q., "Aeration and mass transfer optimization in a rectangular airlift loop photobioreactor for the production of microalgae", Bioresource tTechnology, Vol. 190, (2015), 189-195. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2015.04.077).
- Kochem, L.H., Da Fré, N.C., Redaelli, C., Rech, R. and Marcílio, N.R., "Characterization of a novel flat‐panel airlift photobioreactor with an internal heat exchanger", Chemical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 37, No. 1, (2014), 59-64. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201300420).
- Mirón, A.S., García, M.-C.C., Camacho, F.G., Grima, E.M. and Chisti, Y., "Mixing in bubble column and airlift reactors", Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Vol. 82, No. 10, (2004), 1367-1374. (https://doi.org/10.1205/cerd.82.10.1367.46742).
- Vunjak-Novakovic, G., Kim, Y., Wu, X., Berzin, I. and Merchuk, J.C., "Air-lift bioreactors for algal growth on flue gas: Mathematical modeling and pilot-plant studies", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 44, No. 16, (2005), 6154-6163. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ie049099z).
- Reilly, I., Scott, D., Debruijn, T. and MacIntyre, D., "The role of gas phase momentum in determining gas holdup and hydrodynamic flow regimes in bubble column operations", The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 72, No. 1, (1994), 3-12. (https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.5450720102).
- Pirouzi, A., Nosrati, M., Shojaosadati, S.A. and Shakhesi, S., "Improvement of mixing time, mass transfer, and power consumption in an external loop airlift photobioreactor for microalgae cultures", Biochemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 87, (2014), 25-32. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2014.03.012).
- Roselet, F., Vandamme, D., Roselet, M., Muylaert, K. and Abreu, P.C., "Screening of commercial natural and synthetic cationic polymers for flocculation of freshwater and marine microalgae and effects of molecular weight and charge density", Algal Research, Vol. 10, (2015), 183-188. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.algal.2015.05.008).
- Abreu, A.P., Fernandes, B., Vicente, A.A., Teixeira, J. and Dragone, G., "Mixotrophic cultivation of Chlorella vulgaris using industrial dairy waste as organic carbon source", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 118, (2012), 61-66. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.05.055).
- Sacasa Castellanos, C., "Batch and continuous studies of Chlorella vulgaris in photo-bioreactors", Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Repository, (2013), 1113. (https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/etd/1113).
- Yoo, C., Jun, S.-Y., Lee, J.-Y., Ahn, C.-Y. and Oh, H.-M., "Selection of microalgae for lipid production under high levels carbon dioxide", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 101, No. 1, (2010), S71-S74. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.03.030).
- Rodolfi, L., Chini Zittelli, G., Bassi, N., Padovani, G., Biondi, N., Bonini, G. and Tredici, M.R., "Microalgae for oil: Strain selection, induction of lipid synthesis and outdoor mass cultivation in a low‐cost photobioreactor", Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 102, No. 1, (2009), 100-112. (https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.22033).
- Liang, Y., Sarkany, N. and Cui, Y., "Biomass and lipid productivities of Chlorella vulgaris under autotrophic, heterotrophic and mixotrophic growth conditions", Biotechnology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 7, (2009), 1043-1049. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-009-9975-7).
- Scragg, A., Illman, A., Carden, A. and Shales, S., "Growth of microalgae with increased calorific values in a tubular bioreactor", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 23, No. 1, (2002), 67-73. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0961-9534(02)00028-4).
- Illman, A., Scragg, A. and Shales, S., "Increase in Chlorella strains calorific values when grown in low nitrogen medium", Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Vol. 27, No. 8, (2000), 631-635. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0229(00)00266-0).