Document Type : Research Article
Department of Biosystems Engineering, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, P. O. Box: 91779-48974, Mashhad, Khorasan Razavi, Iran.
Environmental and economic aspects are two remarkable pillars toward a sustainable agro-system. Accordingly, this study aimed to assess the sustainability of autumn rainfed agro-systems in northern Iran by the Eco-Efficiency (EF) indicator. The data of the production processes of wheat, barley, canola, and triticale were collected in the three crop years of 2016-2019. Results indicated that the canola production system with 720 kgCO2eq ha-1 had the highest greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions; however, wheat with 604 kgCO2eq ha-1 was attributed to the lowest GHG emissions. The results of the economic analysis also highlighted that the barley production system had the lowest while the canola production system had the highest production costs. The canola production system had the highest profitability, while the barley production system had the lowest in terms of net income and average benefit to cost ratio indicators. The EF indicator for wheat, barley, canola, and triticale was determined to be 1.4, 0.6, 1.8, and 1.1, respectively, indicating the highest EF value for the canola production system.
- Rathke, G.W. and Diepenbrock, W., "Energy balance of winter oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) cropping as related to nitrogen supply and preceding crop", European Journal of Agronomy, Vol. 24, No. 1, (2006), 35-44. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2005.04.003).
- Nikkhah, A., Khojastehpour, M., Emadi, B., Taheri-Rad, A. and Khorramdel, S., "Environmental impacts of peanut production system using life cycle assessment methodology", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 92, (2015), 84-90. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.12.048).
- Taheri-Rad, A., Khojastehpour, M., Rohani, A., Khoramdel, S. and Nikkhah, A., "Energy flow modeling and predicting the yield of Iranian paddy cultivars using artificial neural networks", Energy, Vol. 135, (2017), 405-412. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.06.089).
- Khoshnevisan, B., Bolandnazar, E., Barak, S., Shamshirband, S., Maghsoudlou, H., Altameem, T.A. and Gani, A., "A clustering model based on an evolutionary algorithm for better energy use in crop production", Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, Vol. 29, No. 8, (2015), 1921-1935. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-014-0972-6).
- United Nations, Eco-efficiency indicators: Measuring resource-use efficiency and the impact of economic activities on the environment, Greening of economic growth series, United Nations Publication, (2009). (https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/785eco.pdf).
- UNEP, "Eco-efficiency for the dairy processing industry", The UNEP Working Group for Cleaner Production in the Food Industry. Environmental Management Centre, The University of Queensland, St Lucia. Australia, (2004). (https://www.worldcat.org/title/unep-working-group-for-cleaner-production-in-the-food-industry/oclc/224393021).
- Ho, T.Q., Hoang, V.N., Wilson, C. and Nguyen, T.T., "Eco-efficiency analysis of sustainability-certified coffee production in Vietnam", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 183, (2018), 251-260. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.147).
- Bonfiglio, A., Arzeni, A. & Bodini, A., "Assessing eco-efficiency of arable farms in rural areas", Agricultural Systems, Vol. 151, (2017), 114-125. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2016.11.008).
- Ministry of Agriculture of Iran, Iran Agriculture Statistics, (2019). (http://www.maj.ir/Dorsapax/userfiles/Sub65/Amarnamehj195-96-site.pdf).
- Nabavi-Pelesaraei, A., Abdi, R. and Rafiee, S., "Neural network modeling of energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of watermelon production systems", Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 1, (2016), 38-47. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssas.2014.05.001).
- Ghasemi-Mobtaker, H., Kaab, A. and Rafiee, S., "Application of life cycle analysis to assess environmental sustainability of wheat cultivation in the west of Iran", Energy, Vol. 193, (2020), 116768. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.116768).
- Unakıtan, G. and Aydın, B., "A comparison of energy use efficiency and economic analysis of wheat and sunflower production in Turkey: A case study in Thrace region", Energy, Vol. 149, (2018), 279-285. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.02.033).
- Kazemi, H., Bourkheili, S.H., Kamkar, B., Soltani, A., Gharanjic, K. and Nazari, N.M., "Estimation of greenhouse gas (GHG) emission and energy use efficiency (EUE) analysis in rainfed canola production (Case study: Golestan province, Iran)", Energy, Vol. 116, Part. 1, (2016), 694-700. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.10.010).
- Mohammadi, A., Rafiee, S., Jafari, A., Keyhani, A., Mousavi-Avval, S.H. and Nonhebel, S., "Energy use efficiency and greenhouse gas emissions of farming systems in north Iran", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 30, (2014), 724-733. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.11.012).
- Thanawong, K., Perret, S.R. and Basset-Mens, C., "Eco-efficiency of paddy rice production in Northeastern Thailand: A comparison of rain-fed and irrigated cropping systems", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 73, (2014), 204-217. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.12.067).
- Forleo, M.B., Palmieri, N. and Salimei, E., "The eco-efficiency of the dairy cheese chain: An Italian case study", Italian Journal of Food Science, Vol. 30, No. 2, (2018). (https://doi.org/10.14674/IJFS-1077).
- Masuda, K., "Measuring eco-efficiency of wheat production in Japan: A combined application of life cycle assessment and data envelopment analysis", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 126, (2016), 373-381. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.03.090).
- Besharatdeh, M., Norouzi, Gh. and Feizabadi, Y., "Eco-efficiency assessment of tangerine production in Mazandaran province, with rural economic development approach", Quarterly Journal of Space Economy & Rural Development, Vol. 30, No. 8, (2020), 195-218. (In Farsi). (https://iranjournals.nlai.ir/handle/123456789/501403).
- Dyer, J.A. and Desjardins, R.L., "Carbon dioxide emissions associated with the manufacturing of tractors and farm machinery in Canada", Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 93, No. 1, (2006), 107-118. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2005.09.011).
- Dyer, J.A. and Desjardins, R.L., "Simulated farm fieldwork, energy consumption and related greenhouse gas emissions in Canada", Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 85, No. 4, (2003), 503-513. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S1537-5110(03)00072-2).
- Lal, R. "Carbon emission from farm operations", Environment International, Vol. 30, No. 7, (2004), 981-990. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2004.03.005).
- Yildizhan, H., "Energy, exergy utilization and CO2 emission of strawberry production in greenhouse and open field", Energy, Vol. 143, (2018), 417-423. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.10.139).
- Ozilgen, M. and Oner, E.S., Biothermodynamics: Principles and applications, CRC Press, (2016). (https://www.routledge.com/Biothermodynamics-Principles-and-Applications/Ozilgen-Oner/p/book/9780367868123).
- Singh, S. and Mittal, J.P., Energy in production agriculture, Mittal Publications, New Delhi, India, (1992). (https://www.econbiz.de/Record/energy-in-production-agriculture-singh-surendra/10000874369).
- Mondani, F., Aleagha, S., Khoramivafa, M. and Ghobadi, R., "Evaluation of greenhouse gases emission based on energy consumption in wheat Agroecosystems", Energy Reports, Vol. 3, (2017), 37-45. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2017.01.002).
- Sahabi, H., Feizi, H. and Karbasi, A., "Is saffron more energy and economic efficient than wheat in crop rotation systems in northeast Iran?", Sustainable Production and Consumption, Vol. 5, (2016), 29-35. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2015.11.001).
- Amoozad-Khalili, M., Rostamian, R., Esmaeilpour-Troujeni, M. and Kosari-Moghaddam, A., "Economic modeling of mechanized and semi-mechanized rainfed wheat production systems using multiple linear regression model", Information Processing in Agriculture, Vol. 7, No. 1, (2020), 30-40. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inpa.2019.06.002).
- Esmailpour-Troujeni, M., Khojastehpour, M., Vahedi, A. and Emadi, B., "Sensitivity analysis of energy inputs and economic evaluation of pomegranate production in Iran", Information Processing in Agriculture, Vol. 5, No. 1, (2018), 114-123. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inpa.2017.10.002).
- Van-Middelaar, C.E., Berentsen, P.B.M., Dolman, M.A. and De Boer, I.J.M., "Eco-efficiency in the production chain of Dutch semi-hard cheese", Livestock Science, Vol. 139, No. 1-2, (2011), 91-99. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.03.013).
- Shrestha, B.M., Desjardins, R.L., McConkey, B.G., Worth, D.E., Dyer, J.A. and Cerkowniak, D.D., "Change in carbon footprint of canola production in the Canadian Prairies from 1986 to 2006", Renewable Energy, Vol. 63, (2014), 634-641. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.10.022).
- Eady, S., "Greenhouse gas emissions from the cultivation of canola oilseed in Australia." (2017). (http://australianoilseeds.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/11440/Australian_Country_Report_for_Canola_Nov2017-_Updated_with_CO2_MJ_FAME.pdf).
- Mason, M.G. and Brennan, R.F., "Comparison of growth response and nitrogen uptake by canola and wheat following application of nitrogen fertilizer", Journal of Plant Nutrition, Vol. 21, No. 7, (1998), 1483-1499. (https://doi.org/10.1080/01904169809365497).
- Brennan, R.F. and Bolland, M.D.A., "Comparing the nitrogen and potassium requirements of canola and wheat for yield and grain quality", Journal of Plant Nutrition, Vol. 32, No. 12, (2009), 2008-2026. (https://doi.org/10.1080/01904160903308127).
- Paramesh, V., Arunachalam, V., Nikkhah, A., Das, B. and Ghnimi, S., "Optimization of energy consumption and environmental impacts of arecanut production through coupled data envelopment analysis and life cycle assessment", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 203, (2018), 674-684. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.263).
- Nikkhah, A., Firouzi, S. Assad, M.E.H. and Ghnimi, S., "Application of analytic hierarchy process to develop a weighting scheme for life cycle assessment of agricultural production", Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 665, (2019), 538-545. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.02.170).
- Firouzi, S., Nikkhah, A. and Rosentrater, K.A., "An integrated analysis of non‐renewable energy use, GHG emissions, carbon efficiency of groundnut sole cropping and groundnut‐bean intercropping agro‐ecosystems", Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, Vol. 36, No. 6, (2017), 1832-1839. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.12621).
- Nikkhah, A., Kosari-Moghaddam, A., Troujeni, M.E., Bacenetti, J. and Van Haute, S., "Exergy flow of rice production system in Italy: Comparison among nine different varieties", Science of The Total Environment, Vol. 781, (2021), 146718. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.146718).
- Firouzi, S., Nikkhah, A. and Aminpanah, H., "Resource use efficiency of rice production upon single cropping and ratooning agro-systems in terms of bioethanol feedstock production", Energy, Vol. 150, (2018), 694-701. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.02.155).
- Gao, J., Thelen, K.D., Min, D.‐H., Smith, S., Hao, X. and Gehl, R., "Effects of manure and fertilizer applications on canola oil content and fatty acid composition", Agronomy Journal, Vol. 102, No. 2, (2010), 790-797. (https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2009.0368).
- Nabavi-Pelesaraei, A., Hosseinzadeh-Bandbafha, H., Qasemi-Kordkheili, P., Kouchaki-Penchah, H. and Riahi-Dorcheh, F., "Applying optimization techniques to improve of energy efficiency and GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions of wheat production", Energy, Vol. 103, (2016), 672-678. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.03.003).
- Kapoor, R., Giri, B. and Mukerji, K.G., "Improved growth and essential oil yield and quality in Foeniculum vulgare mill on mycorrhizal inoculation supplemented with P-fertilizer", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 93, No. 3, (2004), 307-311. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2003.10.028).
- Megawer, E.A. and Mahfouz, S.A., "Response of canola (Brassica napus L.) to biofertilizers under Egyptian conditions in newly reclaimed soil", International Journal of Agriculture Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 1, (2010), 12. (http://www.fayoum.edu.eg/stfsys/stfPdf/242/476/201212313817.pdf).
- Farahza, M.N., Nazari, B., Akbari, M.R., Naeini, M.S. and Liaghat, A., "Assessing the physical and economic water productivity of annual crops in Moghan plain and analyzing the relationship between physical and economic water productivity", Irrigation and Water Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 2, (2020), 166-179. (https://doi.org/10.22125/IWE.2020.120729).
- Ghasemi-Mobtaker, H., Keyhani, A., Mohammadi, A., Rafiee, S. and Akram, A., "Sensitivity analysis of energy inputs for barley production in Hamedan province of Iran", Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, Vol. 137, No. 3-4, (2010), 367-372. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2010.03.011)..
- Mousavi-Avval, S.H., Rafiee, S., Jafari, A. and Mohammadi, A., "Energy efficiency and cost analysis of canola production in different farm sizes", International Journal of Energy and Environment, Vol. 2, No. 5, (2011), 845-852. (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/S_Hashem_Mousavi_Avval/publication/229053446_Energy_efficiency_and_cost_analysis_of_canola_production_in_different_farm_sizes/links/0deec538738e46d8ec000000/Energy-efficiency-and-cost-analysis-of-canola-production-in-different-farm-sizes.pdf).
- Ozer, H., "Sowing date and nitrogen rate effects on growth, yield and yield components of two summer rapeseed cultivars", European Journal of Agronomy, Vol. 19, No. 3-4, (2003), 453-463. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S1161-0301(02)00136-3).
- Roy, D.K. and Singh, B.P., "Effect of level and time of nitrogen application with and without vermicompost on yield, yield attributes and quality of malt barley (Hordeum vulgare)", Indian Journal of Agronomy, Vol. 51, No. 1, (2006), 40-42. (https://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:ija&volume=51&issue=1&article=013).
- Mirkarimi, S.R., Ardakani, Z. and Rostamian, R., "Economic and environmental assessment of tobacco production in Northern Iran", Industrial Crops and Products, Vol. 161, (2021), 113171. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2020.113171).
- Unakitan, G., Hurma, H. and Yilmaz, F., "An analysis of energy use efficiency of canola production in Turkey", Energy, Vol. 35, No. 9, (2010), 3623-3627. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2010.05.005).
- Forleo, M.B., Palmieri, N., Suardi, A., Coaloa, D. and Pari, L., "The eco-efficiency of rapeseed and sunflower cultivation in Italy, Joining environmental and economic assessment", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 172, (2018), 3138-3153. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.11.094).
- Silalertruksa, T., Gheewala, S.H., and Pongpat, P., "Sustainability assessment of sugarcane biorefinery and molasses ethanol production in Thailand using eco-efficiency indicator", Applied energy, Vol. 160, (2015), 603-609. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.08.087).