Document Type : Research Article
School of Engineering, Centre for Energy Transition, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Faculty of Engineering, University of Mataram, Mataram, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia.
Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Bristol, Bristol, England, United Kingdom.
The effectiveness of trailing-edge flaps and microtabs in damping 1P-3P loads has been proven through a series of research work during the past decade. This paper presents the results of an investigation into the effectiveness of these devices in power enhancement and power control for responding to the issue of where these devices can be used with dual function of load and power control on a medium size turbine. The 300 kW-AWT27 wind turbine is used as the base wind turbine and the effects of adding trailing-edge flaps and string of microtabs of different lengths positioned at different span locations on the aerodynamic performance of the rotor are studied. In each case, the wind turbine simulator WTSim is used to obtain the aerodynamic performance measures. In the next step, the original blade twist is redesigned to ensure that the blade is optimized upon the addition of these active flow controllers. It is found that blades equipped with flaps can increase the annual average power and reduce the blade loading at the same time for constant speed and variable speed generators. Power enhancement is more visible on constant speed rotors, while load reduction is more significant on variable speed rotors. To achieve constant speed rotors, an average power enhancement of around 12 % is achieved for a flap of size 25 % of the blade span located at about 72 % of the blade span. Microtabs are less effective in power control and can improve the produced power only by a few percentage points.
- Barlas, T.K. and van Kuik, G.A.M., "Review of state of the art in smart rotor control research for wind turbines", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 1, (2010), 1-27. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2009.08.002).
- Yuan, Y. and Tang, J., "On advanced control methods toward power capture and load mitigation in wind turbines", Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 4, (2017), 494-503. (https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENG.2017.04.023).
- Menezes, E.J.N., Araújo, A.M. and da Silva, N.S.B., "A review on wind turbine control and its associated methods", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 174, (2018), 945-953. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.10.297).
- Larsen, T.J., Madsen, H.A. and Thomsen, K., "Active load reduction using individual pitch, based on local blade flow measurements", Wind Energy, Vol. 8, No. 1, (2005), 67-80. (https://doi.org/10.1002/we.141).
- van Engelen, T.G., "Design model and load reduction assessment for multirotational mode individual pitch control (higher harmonics control)", Proceedings of European Wind Energy Conference, Athens, (2006). (https://publicaties.ecn.nl/PdfFetch.aspx?nr=ECN-RX--06-068).
- Johnson S.J., Baker J.P., van Dam, C.P. and Berg, D., "An overview of active load control techniques for wind turbines with an emphasis on microtabs", Wind Energy, Vol. 13, No. (2-3), (2010), 239-253. (https://doi.org/10.1002/we.356).
- Bæk, P., Gaunaa, M., Sørensen, N.N. and Fuglsang, P., "Comparative study of distributed active load control concepts for wind turbine blades", Proceedings of Science of Making Torque from Wind Conference, Heraklion, Greece, (2010), 611-617. (https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2011-348).
- Macquart, T., Maheri, A. and Busawon, K., "Microtab dynamic modelling for wind turbine blade load rejection", Renewable Energy, Vol. 64, (2014), 144-152. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.11.011).
- Macquart, T. and Maheri, A., "Integrated aeroelastic and control analysis of wind turbine blades equipped with microtabs", Renewable Energy, Vol 75, (2015), 102-114. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.09.032).
- Macquart, T., Maheri, A. and Busawon, K., "A decoupling control strategy for wind turbine blades equipped with active flow controllers”, Wind Energy, Vol. 20, (2017), 569-584. (https://doi.org/10.1002/we.2024).
- Chen, H. and Qin, N., "Trailing-edge flow control for wind turbine performance and load control", Renewable Energy, Vol. 105, (2017), 419-435. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.12.073).
- Oltmann, N.C., Sobotta, D. and Hoffmann, A., "Load reduction of wind turbines using trailing edge flaps", Energy Procedia, Vol. 136, (2017), 176-181. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.10.316).
- Zhuang, C., Yang, G., Zhu, Y. and Hu, D., "Effect of morphed trailing-edge flap on aerodynamic load control for a wind turbine blade section", Renewable Energy, Vol. 148, (2020), 964-974. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.10.082).
- Chen, Z.J., Stol, K.A. and Mace, B.R., "Wind turbine blade optimisation with individual pitch and trailing edge flap control", Renewable Energy, Vol. 103, (2017), 750-765. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.11.009).
- Ebrahimi, A. and Movahhedi, M., "Wind turbine power improvement utilizing passive flow control with microtab", Energy, Vol. 150, (2018), 575-582. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.02.144).
- Maheri, A., "Simulation of wind turbines utilising smart blades", Journal of Thermal Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, (2016), 557-565. (https://doi.org/10.18186/jte.01522).
- Maheri, A., "Multiobjective optimisation and integrated design of wind turbine blades using WTBM-ANSYS for high fidelity structural analysis", Renewable Energy, Vol. 145, (2020), 814-834. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.06.013).
- Maheri, A., Noroozi, S., Toomer C. and Vinney, J., "WTAB, a computer program for predicting the performance of horizontal axis wind turbines with adaptive blades", Renewable Energy, Vol. 31, No. 11, (2006), 1673-1685. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2005.09.023).
- Maheri, A., Noroozi, S., Toomer C. and Vinney, J., "Damping the fluctuating behaviour and improving the convergence rate of the axial induction factor in the BEMT-based rotor aerodynamic codes", Proceedings of European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition 2006, EWEC (2006), Athens, Greece, Vol. 2, (2006), 1176-1179. (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277016534_Damping_the_fluctuating_behaviour_and_improving_the_convergence_rate_of_the_axial_induction_factor_in_the_BEMT_based_rotor_aerodynamic_codes).
- Macquart, T., Maheri, A. and Busawon, K., "Improvement of the accuracy of the blade element momentum theory method in wind turbine aerodynamics analysis", Proceedings of 2nd International Symposium on Environment Friendly Energies and Applications, Newcastle, UK, (2012). (https://doi.org/10.1109/EFEA.2012.6294047).
- Drela, M., "XFOIL: An analysis and design system for low Reynolds number airfoils", Low Reynolds number aerodynamics, Lecture notes in engineering, Mueller, T.J. (eds.), Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, (1989). (https://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/papers/xfoil_sv.pdf).
- Maheri, A., Macquart, T., Safari, D. and Maheri, M., "Phenotype building blocks and geometric crossover in structural optimisation", Proceedings of ECT2012: Eighth International Conference on Engineering Computational Technology, Dubrovnik, Croatia, (2012). (https://doi.org/10.4203/ccp.100.51).
- Kahwash, F. and Maheri, A., "A genetic algorithm for optimal distribution of aerofoils on wind turbine blades", Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Engineering of Tarumanagara (ICET 2013), Jakarta, (2013). (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261285892).
- Poore, R., "NWTC AWT-26 research and retrofit project -Summary of AWT-26/27 turbine research and development", NREL report NREL/SR-500-26926, (2000). (https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/26926.pdf).
- Wiratama, I.K. and Maheri, A., "Optimal design of wind turbine blades equipped with flaps", ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 9, (2014), 1511-1515. (http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-84907258786&partnerID=MN8TOARS).