Document Type : Research Article
1 School of Computing and Electrical Engineering (SCEE), Indian Institute of Technology Mandi (IIT Mandi), Mandi, India.
2 Department of Electrical Engineering, University Institute of Technology, Himachal Pradesh University (HPU), Shimla, India.
The use of these conventional resources causes continuous depletion of fossil fuels and increased greenhouse effect. Solar power is the major renewable resource used for power generation across the globe. Solar energy activities depend on the available potential of any geographical location. Therefore, prior to the installation of solar technologies for these activities, estimation of solar potential is very important due to costly technologies. Data of solar potential is not present at every location in Himachal Pradesh (H. P.) due to the high cost of measurement instruments. The objective of this study includes the solar potential estimation for 12 cities of the H. P. The present study could be divided into two parts. Initially, Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) are utilized to estimate global sun radiation utilizing meteorological and geographical data from 23 places. The ANN model with seven input parameters including latitude, longitude, altitude, air temperature, humidity, pressure, and wind speed were used to estimate the solar irradiation. Statistical indicators including Mean Absolute Percentage Error (MAPE) were used for the performance evaluation of these ANNs. The minimum MAPE value was obtained to be 2.39 % with Multi-Layer Perception (MLP) architecture 7-11-1. For the 12 districts of the H. P., the acquired network 7-11-1 was utilized to estimate Global Solar Radiation (GSR). The output of ANN model was implemented in Geographic Information System (GIS) environment to obtain the solar potential map for each month. The available map of the present study may be helpful for solar application in each district.
- Masson, V., Bonhomme, M., Salagnac, J.L., Briottet, X. and Lemonsu, A., "Solar panels reduce both global warming and urban heat island", Frontiers in Environmental Science, Vol. 2, (2014), 14. (https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2014.00014).
- Yang, W., Zhou, X. and Xue, F., "Impacts of large scale and high voltage level photovoltaic penetration on the security and stability of power system", Proceedings of 2010 Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference, IEEE, 1-5. (https://doi.org/10.1109/APPEEC.2010.5448930).
- Lahimer, A.A., Alghoul, M.A., Yousif, F., Razykov, T.M., Amin, N. and Sopian, K., "Research and development aspects on decentralized electrification options for rural household", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 24, (2013), 314-324. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.03.057).
- Byrne, J., Taminiau, J., Kurdgelashvili, L. and Kim, K.N., "A review of the solar city concept and methods to assess rooftop solar electric potential, with an illustrative application to the city of Seoul", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 41, (2015), 830-844. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.08.023).
- Sharma, V., Sharma, S., Verma, O.P., Bhardwaj, B., Sharma, T.K. and Pachauri, N., "Prediction and optimization of abrasive wear loss of ultrahigh strength martensitic steel using response surface methodology, Harris Hawk and artificial neural network", International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, (2021), 1-17. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s13198-021-01160-5).
- Chen, J.L., He, L., Yang, H., Ma, M., Chen, Q., Wu, S.J. and Xiao, Z.L., "Empirical models for estimating monthly GSR: A most comprehensive review and comparative case study in China", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 108, (2019), 91-111. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2019.03.033).
- Antonopoulos, V.Z., Papamichail, D.M., Aschonitis, V.G. and Antonopoulos, A.V., "Solar radiation estimation methods using ANN and empirical models", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 160, (2019), 160-167. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2019.03.022).
- Kumar, S. and Tarlochan, K., "Development of ANN based model for solar potential assessment using various meteorological parameters", Energy Procedia, Vol. 90, (2016), 587-592. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2016.11.227).
- Duffie, J.A., Beckman, W.A., and Blair, N., Solar engineering of thermal processes, photovoltaics and wind, John Wiley & Sons, (2020). (https://books.google.co.in/books?id=4vXPDwAAQBAJ&dq=+Duffie,+J.+A.,+Beckman,+W.+A.,+%26+Blair,+N.+(2020).+Solar+engineering+of+thermal+processes,+photovoltaics+and+wind.+John+Wiley+%26+Sons.&lr=&source=gbs_navlinks_s).
- Zhang, J., Zhao, L., Deng, S., Xu, W. and Zhang, Y., "A critical review of the models used to estimate solar radiation", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 70, (2017), 314-329. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.124).
- Besharat, F., Dehghan, A.A. and Faghih, A.R., "Empirical models for estimating GSR: A review and case study", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 21, (2013), 798-821. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.12.043).
- Shavandi, H. and Ramyani, S.S., "A linear genetic programming approach for the prediction of solar global radiation", Neural Computing and Applications, Vol. 23. No. 3, (2013), 1197-1204. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-012-1039-6).
- Gairaa, K., Khellaf, A., Messlem, Y. and Chellali, F., "Estimation of the daily GSR based on Box–Jenkins and ANN models: A combined approach", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 57, (2016), 238-249. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.111).
- Irvin, J.D. and Wilamowski, B.M., "Intelligent systems: The Industrial Electronics Handbook", CRC Press, (2018), 1-12. (https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315218427).
- Almaraashi, M., "Investigating the impact of feature selection on the prediction of solar radiation in different locations in Saudi Arabia", Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 66, (2018), 250-263. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2018.02.029).
- Jović, S., Aničić, O., Marsenić, M. and Nedić, B., "Solar radiation analyzing by neuro-fuzzy approach", Energy and Buildings, Vol. 129, (2016), 261-263. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.08.020).
- Xue, X., "Prediction of daily diffuse solar radiation using artificial neural networks", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 42, No. 47, (2017), 28214-28221. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2017.09.150).
- Premalatha, M. and Naveen, C., "Analysis of different combinations of meteorological parameters in predicting the horizontal GSR with ANN approach: A case study", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 91, (2018), 248-258. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.03.096).
- Ramachandra, T.V., Krishnadas, G. and Jain, R., "Solar potential in the Himalayan landscape", International Scholarly Research Notices, (2012). (https://doi.org/10.5402/2012/203149).
- Yadav, A.K., Malik, H. and Chandel, S.S., "Selection of most relevant input parameters using WEKA for artificial neural network based solar radiation prediction models", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 31, (2014), 509-519. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.12.008).
- Yadav, A.K., Malik, H. and Chandel, S.S., "Application of rapid miner in ANN based prediction of solar radiation for assessment of solar energy resource potential of 76 sites in Northwestern India", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 52, (2015), 1093-1106. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.07.156).
- Sumithira, T.R. and Kumar, A.N., "Prediction of monthly GSR using adaptive neuro fuzzy inference system (ANFIS) technique over the State of Tamilnadu (India): A comparative study", Applied Solar Energy, Vol. 48, No. 2, (2012), 140-145. (https://doi.org/10.3103/S0003701X1202020X).
- NASA, (2019). (https://power.larc.nasa.gov/data-access-viewer/.)
- Wu, C.L., Chau, K.W. and Li, Y.S., "Methods to improve neural network performance in daily flows prediction", Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 372, (2009), 80-93. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.03.038).
- Reddy, K.S. and Ranjan, M., "Solar resource estimation using artificial neural networks and comparison with other correlation models", Energy Conservation & Management, Vol. 44, (2003), 2519-2530. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(03)00009-8).
- Arora, M.K. and Mathur, S., "Multi-source classification using Artificial Neural Network in a rugged terrain", Geocarto International, Vol. 16, (2001), 37-44. (https://doi.org/10.1080/10106040108542202).
- Wasserman, P., Advanced methods in neural computing, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, (1993). (https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.5555/562821).
- Hagan, M.T. and Menhaj, M., "Training feed forward networks with the Marquardt algorithm", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Vol. 5, (1994), 989-993. (https://doi.org/10.1109/72.329697).
- Hagan, M.T., Demuth, H.B. and Beale, M.H., Neural network design, PWS Publishing, Boston, MA (1996). (https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.5555/249049).