Document Type : Research Article
Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Razi University, P. O. Box: 67144-14971, Kermanshah, Iran.
Industrial Intelligent Systems Research Center (IISRC), Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran.
Today, the presence of energy storage systems along with the alternative nature of renewable energy sources has become undeniable and one of these types of systems is battery energy storage systems. The most important factor in studying the stability of DC microgrids (DCMGs) is the stabilization of the DC bus voltage when an error occurs on its reference value. Therefore, batteries along with power electronic converters play an important role in maintaining DCMG stability. In this paper, the use of Cascaded Buck-Boost Converter (CBBC) can be considered as a suitable alternative to bidirectional buck-boost converter due to such advantages as high power density, 98 % efficiency, and higher operating temperature in battery. The control strategy is applied in the microgrid implemented in the converter system set with storage, and Virtual DC Machine (VDCM) is based on charging and discharging battery through CBBC. In the studied control method, the theoretical properties of the DC machine, which is responsible for amplifying the virtual inertia in the system, are directed to the CBBC for correct switching. VDCM can be changed from motoring to generating mode or vice versa, regardless of mechanical machinery. Therefore, the proposed control system is simulated in an islanded DCMG in Matlab/Simulink and the stability of the studied system is analyzed according to the small-signal model of the proposed control and converter units. According to the simulation results and small-signal model analysis, the stability of the proposed idea under different scenarios is confirmed.
- Chauhan, A. and Saini, R., "A review on Integrated Renewable Energy System based power generation for stand-alone applications: Configurations, storage options, sizing methodologies and control", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 38, (2014), 99-120. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.05.079).
- Ertugrul, N. and Abbott, D., "DC is the Future [Point of view]", Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 108, No. 5, (2020), 615-624. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2020.2982707).
- Sun, Y., Zhao, Z., Yang, M., Jia, D., Pei, W. and Xu, B., "Overview of energy storage in renewable energy power fluctuation mitigation", CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 6, No. 1, (2019), 160-173. (https://doi.org/10.17775/CSEEJPES.2019.01950).
- Byrne, R.H., Nguyen, T.A., Copp, D.A., Chalamala, B.R. and Gyuk, I., "Energy management and optimization methods for grid energy storage systems", IEEE Access, Vol. 6, (2017), 13231-13260. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2741578).
- Dragicevic, T., Vasquez, J.C., Guerrero, J.M. and Skrlec, D., "Advanced LVDC electrical power architectures and microgrids: A step toward a new generation of power distribution networks", IEEE Electrification Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 1, (2014), 54-65. (https://doi.org/10.1109/MELE.2013.2297033).
- Hammad, E., Farraj, A. and Kundur, D., "On effective virtual inertia of storage-based distributed control for transient stability", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 10, No. 1, (2017), 327-336. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2017.2738633).
- Zhu, X., Xie, Z., Jing, S. and Ren, H., "Distributed virtual inertia control and stability analysis of dc microgrid", IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 12, No. 14, (2018), 3477-3486. (https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2017.1520).
- Tamrakar, U., Shrestha, D., Maharjan, M., Bhattarai, B.P., Hansen, T.M. and Tonkoski, R., "Virtual inertia: Current trends and future directions", Applied Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 7, (2017), 654. (https://doi.org/10.3390/app7070654).
- Golpîra, H., Atarodi, A., Amini, S., Messina, A.R., Francois, B. and Bevrani, H., "Optimal energy storage system-based virtual inertia placement: A frequency stability point of view", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 35, No. 6, (2020), 4824-4835. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3000324).
- Wu, D., Tang, F., Dragicevic, T., Guerrero, J.M. and Vasquez, J.C., "Coordinated control based on bus-signaling and virtual inertia for islanded DC microgrids", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 6, No. 6, (2015), 2627-2638. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2387357).
- Yan, X., Congcong, B. and Yuan, F. editors, "Virtual inertia control strategy at energy-storage terminal in DC microgrid", 2017 IEEE Conference on Energy Internet and Energy System Integration (EI2), (2017), 1-5. (https://doi.org/ 10.1109/EI2.2017.8245653).
- Yi, Z., Zhao, X., Shi, D., Duan, J., Xiang, Y. and Wang, Z., "Accurate power sharing and synthetic inertia control for dc building microgrids with guaranteed performance", IEEE Access, Vol. 7, (2019), 63698-63708.(https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2915046).
- Li, Y., He, L., Liu, F., Li, C., Cao, Y. and Shahidehpour, M., "Flexible voltage control strategy considering distributed energy storages for DC distribution network", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 10, No. 1, (2017), 163-172. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2017.2734166).
- Zhi, N., Ding, K., Du, L. and Zhang, H., "An SOC-based virtual DC machine control for distributed storage systems in DC microgrids", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 35, No. 3, (2020), 1411-1420. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2020.2975033).
- Yang, Y., Li, C., Xu, J., Blaabjerg, F. and Dragičević, T., "Virtual inertia control strategy for improving damping performance of DC microgrid with negative feedback effect", IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, (2020), 1241-1257. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2020.2998812).
- Guo, L., Zhang, S., Li, X., Li, Y.W., Wang, C. and Feng, Y., "Stability analysis and damping enhancement based on frequency-dependent virtual impedance for DC microgrids", IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 1, (2016), 338-350. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2016.2598821).
- Li, C., Li, Y., Cao, Y., Zhu, H., Rehtanz, C. and Häger, U., "Virtual synchronous generator control for damping DC-side resonance of VSC-MTDC system", IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 3, (2018), 1054-1064. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2018.2827361).
- Rouzbehi, K., Candela, J.I., Gharehpetian, G.B., Harnefors, L., Luna, A. and Rodriguez, P., "Multiterminal DC grids: Operating analogies to AC power systems", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 70, (2017), 886-895. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.270).
- Hirase, Y., Sugimoto, K., Sakimoto, K. and Ise, T., "Analysis of resonance in microgrids and effects of system frequency stabilization using a virtual synchronous generator", IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 4, (2016), 1287-1298. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2016.2581818).
- Zhu, X., Meng, F., Xie, Z. and Yue, Y., "An inertia and damping control method of DC–DC converter in DC microgrids", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 35, No. 2, (2019), 799-807. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2019.2952717).
- Lin, G., Zuo, W., Li, Y., Liu, J., Wang, S. and Wang, P., "Comparative analysis on the stability mechanism of droop control and VID control in DC microgrid", Chinese Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 1, (2021), 37-46. (https://doi.org/10.23919/CJEE.2021.000003).
- dos Santos Neto, P.J., dos Santos Barros, T.A., Silveira, J.P.C., Ruppert Filho, E., Vasquez, J.C. and Guerrero, J.M., "Power management strategy based on virtual inertia for DC microgrids", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 11, (2020), 12472-12485. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2020.2986283).
- Samanta, S., Mishra, J.P. and Roy, B.K., "Virtual DC machine: An inertia emulation and control technique for a bidirectional DC–DC converter in a DC microgrid", IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 12, No. 6, (2018), 874-884. (https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2017.0770).
- Chen, X., Pise, A.A. and Batarseh, I., "Magnetics-based efficiency optimization for low power cascaded-buck-boost converter", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 67, No. 12, (2020), 5611-5623. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2020.2994940).
- Wang, Z., Chen, B., Zhu, L., Zheng, Y., Guo, J., Chen, D., Ho, M. and Leung, K.N., "A 3.3-MHz fast-response load-dependent-on/off-time buck-boost DC-DC converter with low-noise hybrid full-wave current sensor", Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 74, (2018), 1-12. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mejo.2018.01.010)
- Samanta, S., Mishra, J.P. and Roy, B.K., "Virtual DC machine: An inertia emulation and control technique for a bidirectional DC–DC converter in a DC microgrid", IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 12, No. 6, (2018), 874-884. (http://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2017.0770).
- Erickson, R.W. and Maksimović, D., Fundamentals of power electronics, Springer Science & Business Media, New York, (2007). (https://doi.org/10.1007/b100747).