Document Type : Research Article
Department of Non-Metallic Materials Research, Niroo Research Institute (NRI), P. O. Box: 14665517, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Department of High Voltage Studies Research, Niroo Research Institute (NRI), P. O. Box: 14665517, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
The crisis of contamination that leads to the accumulation of dust particles on insulation equipment and electrical insulators has disrupted the electricity grid. Electric discharge on infected insulators in wet conditions is a serious threat to the reliability of the grid, which can lead to grid failure and blackout. In this regard, the importance of hydrophobic and dustproof coatings in the electricity industry has increased in recent years. In this paper, silica nanoparticles in the silicon rubber matrix were used to coat ceramic insulators to decrease the environmental impact of dust and moisture on the insulator’s coatings. One of the essential properties of these coatings is their hydrophobicity to prevent possible problems in power transmission. With this regard, nanocomposites were applied to 70 kN insulators and the tests were designed according to the available standards. The performance of these nanocoatings was evaluated by the implementation of electrical, salt fog, and hydrophobicity tests. Finally, the nanocomposite sample containing 3 wt % silica was recognized as the best one.
- Reynders, J.P., Jandrell, I.R. and Reynders, S.M., "Review of aging and recovery of silicone rubber insulation for outdoor use", IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 6, No. 5, (1999), 620-631. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.1999.9286749).
- Song, W., Shen, W.-W., Zhang, G.-J., Song, B.-P., Lang, Y., Su, G.-Q., Mu, H.-B. and Deng, J.-B., "Aging characterization of high temperature vulcanized silicone rubber housing material used for outdoor insulation", IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 22, No. 2 (2015), 961-969. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2015.7076797).
- Gorur, R.S., De La O, A., El-Kishky, H., Chowdhary, M., Mukherjee, H., Sundaram, R. and Burnham, J.T., "Sudden flashover of nonceramic insulators in artificial contamination tests", IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 4, No. 1, (1997), 79-87. (https://doi.org/10.1109/94.590870).
- Zolriasatein, A., Rajabi Mashhadi, Z., Navazani, S., Rezaei Abadchi, M., Riahi Noori, N. and Abdi, N., "Investigation of electrical properties of silica-reinforced RTV nanocomposite coatings", Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 9, (2021), 12265-12274. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-021-05855-0).
- Li, J., Zhao, Y., Hu, J., Shu, L. and Shi, X., "Anti-icing performance of a superhydrophobic PDMS/modified nano-silica hybrid coating for insulators", Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 4, (2012), 665-679. (https://doi.org/10.1163/016942411X574826).
- Syakur, A. and Sutanto, H., "Determination of hydrophobic contact angle of epoxy resin compound silicon rubber and silica", Proceedings of IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, No. 190, (2017), 012025-012032. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/190/1/012025).
- Guo, K., Du, Y., Wu, Y., Mi, X., Li, X. and Chen, S., "Morphology and FT-IR analysis of anti-pollution flashover coatings with adding nano SiO2 particles", Proceedings of IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, No. 274, (2017), 012031-012040. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/274/1/012031).
- Li, J., Wei, Y., Huang, Z., Wang, F., Yan, X. and Wu, Z., "Electrohydrodynamic behavior of water droplets on a horizontal superhydrophobic surface and its self-cleaning application", Applied Surface Science, Vol. 403, (2017), 133-140. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.01.141).
- Ghosh, D., Bhandari, S., Chaki, T.K. and Khastgir, D., "Development of a high performance high voltage insulator for power transmission lines from blends of polydimethylsiloxane/ethylene vinyl acetate containing nanosilica", RSC Advances, Vol. 5, No. 71, (2015), 57608-57618. (https://doi.org/10.1039/C5RA08277C).
- Hui, S., Chaki, T.K. and Chattopadhyay, S.J.P.E., "Dielectric properties of EVA/LDPE TPE system: Effect of nanosilica and controlled irradiation", Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 50, No. 4, (2010), 730-738. (https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.21577).
- Zolriasatein, A., Navazani, S., Abadchi, M.R. and Noori, N.R., "Two-component room temperature vulcanized silicone-rubber (RTV2) properties modification: Effect of aluminum three hydrate and nanosilica additions on the microstructure, electrical, and mechanical properties", Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 7, (2021), 8903-8915. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-021-05562-w).
- Taipalus, R., Harmia, T., Zhang, M.Q. and Friedrich, K., "The electrical conductivity of carbon-fibre-reinforced polypropylene/polyaniline complex-blends: Experimental characterisation and modelling", Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 61, No. 6, (2001), 801-814. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(00)00183-4).
- Nangir, M., Massoudi, A. and Tayebifard, S.A., "Investigating the effect of ultrasonification time on transition from monolithic porous network to size-tunable monodispersed silica nanosphere in Stöber method", Advanced Ceramics Progress, Vol. 4, No. 2, (2018), 37-43. (https://dx.doi.org/10.30501/acp.2018.91124).
- Dang, Z.M., Zhang, Y.H. and Tjong, S.C., "Dependence of dielectric behavior on the physical property of fillers in the polymer-matrix composites", Synthetic Metals, Vol. 146, No. 1, (2004), 79-84. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.synthmet.2004.06.011).
- Yotkuna, K., Chollakup, R., Imboon, T., Kannan, V. and Thongmee, S., "Effect of aluminium hydroxide on thermal, dynamic mechanical and dielectric properties of hexafluoropropylene-vinylidinefluoride elastomeric composites", Journal of Polymer Research, Vol. 28, No. 12, (2017), 83-96. (https://doi.org/10.22606/jan.2017.22001).
- Khan, H., Amin, M., Ali, M., Iqbal, M. and Yasin, M., "Effect of micro/nano-SiO2 on mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties of silicone rubber, epoxy, and EPDM composites for outdoor electrical insulations", Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 2, (2017), 1426-1435. (https://doi.org/10.3906/elk-1603-20).
- Ullah, I., Akbar, M. and Khan, H.A., "Degradation analysis of RTV-SiR based composites under both polarities DC voltage for insulators coating", Materials Today Communications, No. 29, (2021), 102890-102901. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtcomm.2021.102890).