Document Type : Research Article
Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology (IROST), Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tafresh University, Tafresh, Markazi, Iran.
In this study, the partial alteration of fuel consumption of combined cycle power plants was investigated and analyzed using an innovative model. This system is applicable using the fuel derived from the biomass gasification process. For this purpose, energy modeling of an advanced gasification system to supply a share of the gas fuel was fulfilled. The results demonstrated that by considering the reasonable capacities for the design, up to 10 % of natural gas fuel could be replaced with syngas. In addition, heat recovery of the plant stack in the Kalina low-temperature cycle enhanced the total efficiency by up to 1.7 %. Therefore, the competitive advantage of the proposed cycle was enhanced compared to conventional power generation systems. A parametric study of the components affecting the integrated cycle performance including alternative biomass fuels, moisture content of biomass fuel, steam-to-biomass ratio, and equivalence ratio of the gasifier was performed, and the permissible values of each factor were obtained. Thus, by utilizing the proposed approach, it is possible to gradually substitute the consumed fossil fuels of power plants with renewable resources to achieve the objectives of sustainable energy development.
- Bocci, E., Sisinni, M., Moneti, M., Vecchione, L., Di Carlo, A. and Villarini, M., "State of art of small scale biomass gasification power systems: A review of the different typologies", Energy Procedia, Vol. 45, (2014), 247-256. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.01.027).
- Arnavat, M.P., Bruno, J.C. and Coronas, A., "Review and analysis of biomass gasification models", Reneable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, (2010), 2841-2851. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2010.07.030).
- Ozgoli, H.A., Ghadamian, H. and Pazouki, M., "Economic analysis of biomass gasification-solid oxide fuel cell-gas turbine hybrid cycle", International Journal of Renewable Energy Research (IJRER), Vol. 3, (2017), 1007-1018. (https://www.ijrer.org/ijrer/index.php/ijrer/article/view/5814).
- Ramzan, N., Ashraf, A., Naveed, S. and Malik, A., "Simulation of hybrid biomass gasification using Aspen plus: A comparative performance analysis for food, municipal solid and poultry waste", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 35, (2011), 3962-3969. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2011.06.005).
- Villarini, M., Marcantonio, V., Colantoni, A., Bocci, E., Villarini, M., Marcantonio, V., Colantoni, A. and Bocci, E., "Sensitivity analysis of different parameters on the performance of a CHP internal combustion engine system fed by a biomass waste gasifier", Energies, Vol. 12, (2019), 688. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en12040688).
- Bocci, E., Di Carlo, A., McPhail, S.J., Gallucci, K., Foscolo, P.U., Moneti, M., Villarini, M. and Carlini, M., "Biomass to fuel cells state of the art: A review of the most innovative technology solutions", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 39, (2014), 21876-21895. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.09.022).
- Dascomb, J., Krothapalli, A. and Fakhrai, R., "Thermal conversion effciency of producing hydrogen enriched syngas from biomass steam gasification", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, (2013), 11790-11798. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.07.022).
- Kumar, A., Jones, D.D., and Hanna, M.A., "Thermochemical biomass gasification: A review of the current status of the technology", Energies, Vol. 2, (2009), 556-581. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en20300556).
- Marcantonio, V., Bocci, E., Ouweltjes, J.P., Del Zotto, L. and Monarca, D., "Evaluation of sorbents for high temperature removal of tars, hydrogen sulphide, hydrogen chloride and ammonia from biomass-derived syngas by using Aspen Plus", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 45, (2020), 6651-6662. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.12.142).
- Rahman, M.D.M., Henriksen, U.B., Ahrenfeldt, J. and Arnavat, M.P., "Design, construction and operation of a low-tar biomass (LTB) gasifier for rural applications", Energy, Vol. 204, (2020), 117914. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2020.117944).
- Ahmed, T.Y., Ahmad, M.M., Yusup, S., Inayat, A. and Khan, Z., "Mathematical and computational approaches for design of biomass gasification for hydrogen production: A review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16, (2012), 2304-2315. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.01.035).
- Ozgoli, H.A., "Simulation of integrated biomass gasification-gas turbine-air bottoming cycle as an energy-efficient system", International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 7, (2017), 275-284. (https://www.ijrer.org/ijrer/index.php/ijrer/article/view/5428).
- Ozgoli, H.A., Safari, S. and Sharifi, M.H., "Integration of a biomass-fueled proton exchange membrane fuel cell system and a vanadium redox battery as a power generation and storage system", Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Vol. 42, (2020), 100896. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2020.100896).
- Pfeifer, C., Schmid, J.C., Pröll, T. and Hofbauer, H., "Next generation biomass gasifier", Proceedings of 19th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition, Berlin, Germany, (2011), 1-7. (https://doi.org/10.5071/19THEUBCE2011-VP2.3.24).
- Hosseinpour, S., HajiSeyed Mirzahosseini, A., Mehdipour, R., Hemmasi, A. H. and Ozgoli, H.A., "Energy modeling and techno-economic analysis of a biomass gasification-CHAT-ST power cycle for sustainable approaches in modern electricity grids", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 7, (2020), 43-51. (https://doi.org/10.30501/JREE.2020.106780).
- Safari, S., Ghasedi, A.H. and Ozgoli, H.A., "Integration of solar dryer with a hybrid system of gasifier‐solid oxide fuel cell/micro gas turbine: Energy, economy and environmental analysis", Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, Vol. 40, (2020), e13569. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.13569).
- Trieb, F., "Concentrating solar power for the mediterranean region", Final report by German aerospace center (DLR), Institute of technical Tthermodynamics, Section systems analysis and technology assessment, (2005). (https://www.dlr.de/tt/Portaldata/41/Resources/dokumente/institut/system/projects/MED-CSP_Full_report_final.pdf), (Accessed: 16 April 2005).
- Azizaddini, S.N., Haghparast, A., Adl, M. and Hadijafari, P., “Assessment of gasification potential of agricultural and woody biomass resources in Iran”, International Journal of Environment and Bioenergy, Vol. 3, (2012), 75-87. (http://www.modernscientificpress.com/Journals/ViewArticle.aspx?gkN1Z6Pb60HNQPymfPQlZA6c3PoRlUU8KyuI+AntiXnOzSTP1K6wFq+XYVRbDQeD).
- Javanshir, N., Seyed Mahmoudi, S.M., Kordlar, M.A. and Rosen, M.A., "Energy and cost analysis and optimization of a geothermal-based cogeneration cycle using an ammonia-water solution: Thermodynamic and thermoeconomic viewpoints", Sustainability, Vol. 12, (2020), 484. (https://doi.org/10.3390/su12020484).
- Sun, L., Han, W., Jing, X., Zheng, D. and Jin, H., "A power and cooling cogeneration system using mid/low-temperature heat source", Applied Energy, Vol. 112, (2013), 886-897. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.03.049).
- Rentizelas, A., Karellas, S., Kakaras, E. and Tatsiopoulos, I., "Comparative techno-economic analysis of ORC and gasification for bioenergy applications", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 50, (2009), 674-681. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2008.10.008).
- Kalina, J., "Integrated biomass gasification combined cycle distributed generation plant with reciprocating gas engine and ORC", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 31, (2011), 2829-2840. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.05.008).
- Puig-Arnavat, M., Bruno, J.C. and Coronas, A., "Modeling of trigeneration configurations based on biomass gasification and comparison of performance," Applied Energy, Vol. 114, (2014), 845-856. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.09.013).
- Fortunato, B., Camporeale, S.M. and Torresi, M., "A gas-steam combined cycle powered by syngas derived from biomass", Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 19, (2013), 736-745. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2013.06.097).
- Pallozzi, V., Di Carlo, A., Bocci, E., Villarini, M., Foscolo, P. and Carlini, M., "Performance evaluation at different process parameters of an innovative prototype of biomass gasification system aimed to hydrogen production", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 130, (2016), 34-43. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.10.039).
- Toonssen, R., "Sustainable power from biomass: Comparison of technologies for centralized or de-centralized fuel cell systems", Ph. D. Thesis, TU Delft, (2010). (https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid:57068674-c6fa-4d5c-a7ca-a3e68c2d8324/datastream/OBJ/download)., (Accessed: 8 July 2010).
- Jayah, T.H., Aye, L., Fuller, R.J. and Stewart, D.F., "Computer simulation of a downdraft wood gasi‑er for tea drying", Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 25, (2003), 459-469. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0961-9534(03)00037-0).
- Siemens gas turbine portfolio, SGT-400 Industrial gas turbine, (2022). (https://www.siemens-energy.com/global/en/offerings/power-generation/gas-turbines/sgt-400.html), (Accessed: 12 February 2022).
- Reliable steam turbines, Siemens steam turbine SST-110, (2022). (https://www.siemens-energy.com/global/en/offerings/power-generation/steam-turbines.html), (Accessed: 12 February 2022).
- Di Carlo, A., Borello, D. and Bocci, E., "Process simulation of a hybrid SOFC/mGT and enriched air/steam fluidized bed gasifier power plant", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, (2013), 5857-5874. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.03.005).
- Marcantonio, V., Bocci, E. and Monarca, D., "Development of a chemical quasi-equilibrium model of biomass waste gasification in a fluidized-bed reactor by using Aspen Plus", Energies, Vol. 13, (2019), 53. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en13010053).
- Barrio, M., Gøbel, B., Risnes, H., Henriksen, U., Hustad, J. and Sørensen, L., "Steam gasification of wood char and the effect of hydrogen inhibition on the chemical kinetics. Progress in thermochemical biomass conversion", Vol. 1, (2001), 32-46. (https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470694954.ch2).
- DeLasa, H., Ali, S.A.M. and Hossain, M.M., "Biological CO2 fixation with production of microalgae in wastewater–a review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 76, (2017), 379-390. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.02.038).
- Razak, A.M.Y., Industrial gas turbines, performance and operability, Woodhead Publishing Limited, UK, (2007). (https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9781845692056/industrial-gas-turbines).
- Boyce, M.P., Handbook for cogeneration and combined cycle power plants, Second Edition, ASME Press, The USA, (2010). (https://asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/ebooks/book/198/Handbook-for-Cogeneration-and-Combined-Cycle-Power).
- Dahlquist, A., Genrup, M., Sjoedin, M. and Jonshagen, K., "Optimization of an oxyfuel combined cycle regarding performance and complexity level", Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Power for Land, Sea and Air, Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. Volume 2: Aircraft engine; Coal, Biomass and Alternative Fuels; Cycle Innovations, San Antonio, Texas, USA, (2013). (https://doi.org/10.1115/GT2013-94755).
- Hofbauer, H., Fercher, E., Fleck, T., Rauch, R. and Veronik, G., "Two years experience with the FICFB-gasification process", Proceedings of the 10th European Conference and Technology Exhibition, Wurzburg, Germany, (1998), 3-6. (https://doi.org/10.1.1.462.6284).
- Hofbauer, H., Rauch, R., Loeffler, G., Kaiser, S., Fercher, E. and Tremmel, H., "Six years experience with the FICFB-gasification process", Proceedings of the 12th European Conference and Technology Exhibition on Biomass for Energy, Industry and Climate Protection, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, (2002), 982-985. (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228797225_Six_Years_Experience_with_the_FICFB-Gasification_Process), (Accessed: 21 June 2002).
- Pfeifer, C., Rauch, A.R. and Hofbauer, H., "In-bed catalytic tar reduction in a dual fluidized bed biomass steam gasifier", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 43, (2004), 1634–-1640. (https://doi.org/10.1021/ie030742b).
- Marcantonio, V., Ferrario, A.M., Di Carlo, A., Del Zotto, L., Monarca, D. and Bocci, E., "Biomass steam gasification: A comparison of syngas composition between a 1-D MATLAB kinetic model and a 0-D Aspen Plus quasi-equilibrium model", Computation, Vol. 8, (2020), 86. (https://doi.org/10.3390/computation8040086).
- Eri, Q., Wu, W. and Zhao, X., "Numerical investigation of the air-steam biomass gasification process based on thermodynamic equilibrium model", Energies, Vol. 10, (2017), 2163. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en10122163).
- Nilsson, S., Gómez-Barea, A., Pardo-Arias, I., Suárez-Almeida, M. and de Almeida, V.F., "Comparison of six different biomass residues in a pilot-scale fluidized bed gasifier", Energy & Fuels, Vol. 33, (2019), 10978-10988. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b01513).