Document Type : Research Note
Technology and Supply Chain Excellent Institute (TeSCE), School of Technology Management and Logistics, College of Business, Universiti Utara Malaysia, 06010 UUM Sintok, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia.
Universitas Islam Bandung, Jalan Tamansari No. 20, 40116 Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.
Department of Energy, Minerals and Materials Technology, Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, 17600 Jeli, Kelantan, Malaysia.
Penetration of renewable energy in the energy generation mix must be viewed from different angles. This issue shall not only cover the technological part, but also economic, environmental, and social criteria. The fuel cell provides huge potential with less reliance on fossil fuel-based electricity generation. This paper aims to model the optimum design of fuel cell-based electricity generation in Malaysia. Economic and environmental aspects are indicators that contribute to designing an optimum model. Both Multi-Criteria Analysis and Analytic Hierarchy Process were employed in order to decide on the optimum site for the system. Truck transportation, biogas storage, and fuel cell system are among the most important criteria that provide final weighted criteria. Considering both criteria for the economic and environment concerns, the best optimum location is in Sarawak State. The findings of this study influence the decision-making and help researchers and decision-makers develop proper strategies in the renewable energy roadmap.
- Peng, J., Huang, J., Wu, X.L., Xu, Y.W., Chen, H. and Li, X., "Solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) performance evaluation, fault diagnosis and health control: A review", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 505, (2021), 230058. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2021.230058).
- Shafie, S.M., Othman, Z., Hami, N. and Omar, S., "The potential of using biogas feeding for fuel cells in Malaysia", International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 10, No. 1, (2020), 109-113. (https://doi.org/10.37934/arfmts.81.1.1825).
- Leone, P., Lanzini, A., Santarelli, M., Cali, M., Sagnelli, F., Boulanger, A., Scaletta, A. and Zitella, P., "Methane-free biogas for direct feeding of solid oxide fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 195, No. 1, (2010), 239-248. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.06.108).
- Soltani, A., Hewage, K., Reza, B. and Sadiq, R., "Multiple stakeholders in multi-criteria decision-making in the context of Municipal Solid Waste Management: A review", Waste Management, Vol. 35, (2015), 318-328. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2014.09.010).
- Habib, S.M., Suliman, A.E.E., Nahry, A.H.A. and Rahman, E.N.A., "Spatial modeling for the optimum site selection of solar photovoltaics power plant in the northwest coast of Egypt", Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment, Vol. 18, (2020), 100313. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rsase.2020.100313).
- Ilbahar, E., Cebi, S. and Kahraman, C., "A state-of-the-art review on multi-attribute renewable energy decision making", Energy Strategies Reviews, Vol. 25, (2019), 18-33. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esr.2019.04.014).
- Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB), "Directory of Malaysian palm oil processing sectors", Ministry of Primary Industries, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2019), 100. (https://econ.mpob.gov.my/economy/publications/EID_publication.htm).
- Shafie, S.M., Othman, Z., Hami, N., Nu'man, A.H., Yusuf, N.N.A.N. and Shah, A., "Biogas fed-fuel cell based electricity generation: A life cycle assessment approach", International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 10, No. 5, (2020), 498-505. (https://doi.org/10.32479/ijeep.9957).
- Saaty, R.W., "The analytic hierarchy process—What it is and how it is used", Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 9, No. 3-5, (1987), 161-176. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0270-0255(87)90473-8).
- Yalcinkaya, S., "A spatial modeling approach for siting, sizing and economic assessment of centralized biogas plants in organic waste management", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 255, (2020), 1-13. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.120040).
- Østergaard, P.A., "Comparing electricity, heat and biogas storages’ impacts on renewable energy integration", Energy, Vol. 37, No. 1, (2012), 255-262. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.11.039).
- The Borneo Post Online, "Green energy gets a boost from ‘Hydrogen’ technology", (2019). (https://sarawak.gov.my/web/home/news_view/223/13364/), [Cited 1 June 2021].
- Shafie, S.M., Othman, Z., Nu'man, A.H. and Yusuf, N.N.A.N., "Life cycle cost of biogas feeding into fuel cell: Case of Malaysia", (2021). (Unpublished manuscript). (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GomYA2pE9cNyu1APkihp6MHVl4WyWBRS/view?usp=sharing).