Document Type : Research Article
Department of Electrical Engineering, Bu-Ali Sina University, P. O. Box: 65178-38695, Hamedan, Hamedan, Iran.
In the power system, frequency stability is critical. The wind turbine oscillates (depending on the wind speed) and is of low inertia. Thus, wind turbines face the issue of power system frequency stability. Since the power system's resources are interconnected via communication networks, the presence of time delay also affects the frequency stability of the power system. When a disturbance occurs in the power system due to load or distributed generation sources (wind turbine), it leads to frequency deviations in the power system, exhibiting low damping speed. Although large conventional generators in the power system provide sufficient inertia and reduce frequency deviation, the damping speed of frequency fluctuations is slow, which may be due to time delays between power system resources. In this paper, virtual damping (a proposed method) is used to accelerate the damping of frequency deviations caused by load disturbances, distributed generation source disturbances, and the time delay between power system resources. The results of the proposed method are compared to those obtained using the conventional method in this field, demonstrating the superiority of the proposed method. The proposed method reduced frequency deviations in the power system caused by disturbances and time delays by 67 % (a 67 % improvement over existing methods in this field) and increased the damping speed of the frequency deviations by 62 % (a 62 % improvement over the methods used in this field).
- Vahdatpour, S., Behzadfar, S., Siampour, L., Veisi, E. and Jahangiri, M., "Evaluation of off-grid hybrid renewable systems in the four climate regions of Iran", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 4, No. 1, (2017), 61-70. (http://dx.doi.org/10.30501/jree.2017.70107).
- Mostafaeipour, A., Rezaei, M., Jahangiri, M. and Qolipour, M., "Feasibility analysis of a new tree-shaped wind turbine for urban application: A case study", Energy & Environment, Vol. 31, No. 7, (2020), 1230-1256. (https://doi.org/10.1177/0958305X19888878).
- Sedaghat, A., El Haj Assad, M. and Gaith, M., "Aerodynamics performance of continuously variable speed horizontal axis wind turbine with optimal blades", Energy, Vol. 77, (2014), 752-759. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.09.048).
- Sedaghat, A., Samani, I., Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M., El Haj Assad, M. and Gaith, M., "Computational study on novel circulating aerofoils for use in Magnus wind turbine blades", Energy, Vol. 91, (2015), 393-403. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.08.058).
- Lampinen, M.J., Kotiaho, V.W. and El Haj Assad, M., "Application of axial fan theory to horizontal‐axis wind turbine", International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 30, No. 13, (2006), 1093-1107. (https://doi.org/10.1002/er.1208).
- Nazari, M.A., El Haj Assad, M., Haghighat, S. and Maleki, A., "Applying TOPSIS method for wind farm site selection in Iran", Proceedings of 2020 Advances in Science and Engineering Technology International Conferences (ASET), (2020, February), 1-4. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ASET48392.2020.9118223).
- Abidoye, L.K., Bani-Hani, E., El Haj Assad, M., AlShabi, M., Soudan, B. and Oriaje, A.T., "Effects of environmental and turbine parameters on energy gains from wind farm system: Artificial neural network simulations", Wind Engineering, Vol. 44, No. 2, (2020), 181-195. (https://doi.org/10.1177/0309524X19849834).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Designing a fractional order PID controller for a two-area micro-grid under uncertainty of parameters", Iranian Journal of Energy, Vol. 20, No. 4, (2018), 49-78. (https://necjournals.ir/article-1-1212-en.html).
- Amiri, F. and Hatami, A., "Nonlinear load frequency control of isolated microgrid using fractional order PID based on hybrid craziness-based particle swarm optimization and pattern search", Journal of Iranian Association of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Vol. 17, No. 2, (2020), 135-148. (http://jiaeee.com/browse.php?a_id=544&slc_lang=en&sid=1&printcase=1&hbnr=1&hmb=1).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Designing of the controller for shipboard microgrid based on linear matrix inequality", Journal of Applied Research in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 2, (2022). 176-186. (https://doi.org/10.22055/JAREE.2022.39484.1041).
- Magdy, G., Shabib, G., Elbaset, A.A. and Mitani, Y., "Renewable power systems dynamic security using a new coordination of frequency control strategy based on virtual synchronous generator and digital frequency protection", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 109, (2019), 351-368. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2019.02.007).
- Moradi, M.H. and Amiri, F., "Load frequency control in a two area microgrid by optimized model predictive controller", Journal of Iranian Association of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Vol. 19, No. 1, (2022), 125-137. (https://doi.org/10.52547/jiaeee.19.1.125).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Designing of the controller for shipboard microgrid based on linear matrix inequality", Journal of Applied Research in Electrical Engineering, (2022), (https://doi.org/10.22055/JAREE.2022.39484.1041).
- Shahbazi, M. and Amiri, F., "Designing a neuro-fuzzy controller with CRPSO and RLSE algorithms to control voltage and frequency in an isolated microgrid", Proceedings of 2019 International Power System Conference (PSC), (2019), 588-594, (https://doi.org/10.1109/PSC49016.2019.9081492).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Designing a new robust control for virtual inertia control in the microgrid with regard to virtual damping", Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering Innovations (JECEI), Vol. 8, No. 1, (2020), 53-70. (https://doi.org/10.22061/JECEI.2020.6913.347).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Microgrid on the ship: Load frequency- control of the microgrid, taking into account the sea wave energy by the optimized model predictive controller", Journal of Renewable and New Energy, Vol. 8, No. 1, (2021), 78-90. (https://www.jrenew.ir/article_111153_66e20afd3012ff2e42541a303f0f96f7.pdf).
- Lu, L., Saborío‐Romano, O. and Cutululis, N.A., "Torsional oscillation damping in wind turbines with virtual synchronous machine‐based frequency response", Wind Energy, (2022). (https://doi.org/10.1002/we.2719).
- Moradi, M.H. and Amiri, F., "Virtual inertia control in islanded microgrid by using robust model predictive control (RMPC) with considering the time delay", Soft Computing, Vol. 25, No. 8, (2021), 6653-6663.(https://doi.org/10.1007/s00500-021-05662-z).
- Asgari, S., Suratgar, A.A. and Kazemi, M., "Feedforward fractional order PID load frequency control of microgrid using harmony search algorithm", Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Transactions of Electrical Engineering, (2021), 1-13. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s40998-021-00428-7).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Angular speed control in a hybrid stepper motor using linear matrix inequality," Computational Intelligence in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 3, (2021), 33-50. (https://doi.org/10.22108/isee.2020.122029.1346).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Designing a new robust control method for AC servo motor", Journal of Nonlinear Systems in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 1, (2020). 55-80, (http://journals.sut.ac.ir/jnsee/article-1-326-fa.html).
- Ma, M., Zhang, C., Shao, L. and Sun, Y. "Primary frequency regulation for multi-area interconnected power system with wind turbines based on DMPC", Proceedings of 35th Chinese Control Conference (CCC), (2016), 4384-4389, (https://doi.org/10.1109/ChiCC.2016.7554034).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "Coordinated control of LFC and SMES in the power system using a new robust controller", Iranian Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 4, (2021), 1912-1929. (https://doi.org/10.22068/IJEEE.17.4.1912).
- Amiri, F. and Moradi, M.H., "A new control strategy for dontrolling isolated Microgrid," Journal of Experimental Medicine, Vol. 10, No. 4, (2021), 60-73. (https://doi.org/10.22052.10.4.60).
- Afram, A. and Janabi-Sharifi, F., "Theory and applications of HVAC control systems–A review of model predictive control (MPC)", Building and Environment, Vol. 72, (2014) 343-355. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2013.11.016).
- Sharma, M., Bansal, R. K. and Prakash, S., "Robustness analysis of LFC for multi area power system integrated with SMES–TCPS by artificial intelligent technique", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 14, No. 1, (2019), 97-110. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-018-00035-3).
- Akram, U., Nadarajah, M., Shah, R. and Milano, F., "A review on rapid responsive energy storage technologies for frequency regulation in modern power systems", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 120, (2020), 109626. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2019.109626).
- European Wind Energy Association, "Wind energy-the facts: A guide to the technology, economics and future of wind power", Routledge, (2012). (https://doi.org/10.4324/9781849773782).