Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Marathwada Mitramandal’s College of Engineering, Pune Affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, P. O. Box: 411052, Pune, Maharashtra, India
The present study aims to develop different strategies for better utilization of oxygenated Diethyl ether and ethanol as supplementary fuels by blending them with biodiesel as the base fuel in CI engines. The used biodiesel used was readily available Karanja Oil Methyl Ester (KOME), its scientific name being Pongamia Pinnata. Initially, 5 %, 10 %, 15 %, and 20 % amounts of ethanol (volume) were mixed with biodiesel. Further, the optimum selected blend BE15 was mixed with 5 %, 10 %, 15 %, and 20 % DEE by volume to make the ternary blend. This DEE-ethanol-biodiesel blend was tested on the same engine under the same conditions. The experimental results exhibited that the DEE-ethanol-biodiesel ternary blend, BE15DE10, mitigated BTE by 8.89 % and the smoke, NOx, and CO emissions by 15.66 %, 50.7 %, and 18.5 %, respectively, compared with neat biodiesel. The HC emission exhibited a slightly increasing trend. The results summarize the trade-off between smoke and NOx reduction using DEE and ethanol oxygenated fuels. The addition of ethanol by 15 % and DEE up to 10 % by volume to biodiesel could be considered the most favorable blend without any significant modifications in the CI engine.
- Ibrahim, A., "Investigating the effect of using diethyl ether as a fuel additive on diesel engine performance and combustion", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 107, (2016), 853-862. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.07.061).
- Patil, K.R. and Thipse, S.S., "Experimental investigation of CI engine combustion, performance and emissions in DEE–kerosene–diesel blends of high DEE concentration", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 89, (2015), 396-408. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.enconman.2014.10.022).
- Hariram, V., Seralathan, S., Paulson, V., Prakash, R. and Premkumar, T.M., "Production of biodiesel from eucalyptus tereticornis and its effect on combustion, performance and emission characteristics of a CI engine", International Journal of Vehicle Structures and Systems, Vol. 10, No. 6, (2018), 443-452. (https://doi.org/10.4273/ijvss.10.6.13).
- Kaimal, V.K. and Vijayabalan, P., "An investigation on the effects of using DEE additive in a DI diesel engine fuelled with waste plastic oil", Fuel, Vol. 180, (2016), 90-96. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.fuel.2016.04.030).
- Patil, K.R. and Thipse, S,S., "Characteristics of performance and emissions in direct injection diesel engine fuelled with kerosene/diesel blends", International Journal of Automotive & Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 10, (2014), 2102-2111. (http://doi.org.10.15282/ijame.10.2014.26.0177).
- Oyegoke, T., Obadiah, E., Adah, F., Oguche, J.E., Timothy, G.T., Mantu, I.A. and Ado, A.D., "Trends of progress in setting up biorefineries in developing countries: A review of bioethanol exploration in Nigeria", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 9, No. 1, (2022), 37-52. (https://doi.org/10.30501/jree.2021.278037.1197).
- Rakopoulos, D.C., Rakopoulos, C.D., Giakoumis, E.G., Papagiannakis, R.G. and Kyritsis, D.C., "Influence of properties of various common bio-fuels on the combustion and emission characteristics of high-speed DI (direct injection) diesel engine: Vegetable oil, bio-diesel, ethanol, n-butanol, diethyl ether", Energy, Vol. 73, (2014), 354-366. (https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENERGY.2014.06.032).
- Gharibian, M., Hosseinzadeh, S.B., Shirneshan, A.R. and Rostami, S., "Investigation and ranking of the effect of biodiesel produced from safflower oil by the hydrodynamic method in diesel generator engine using TOPSIS method", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 9, No. 1, (2022), 13-22. (https://doi.org/10.30501/jree.2021.272074.1186).
- Patel, R.L. and Sankhavara, C.D., "Biodiesel production from karanja oil and its use in diesel engine: A review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 71, (2017), 464-474. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.12.075).
- Naveen, S., Kannappan, P.G., Rajagopal, M., Jayaraman, R.S., Krishnan, A. and Jayaseelan, A., "A solar reactor for bio-diesel production from Pongamia oil: Studies on transesterfication process parameters and energy efficiency", Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 40, (2021), 218-224. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjche.2020.10.010).
- Dhar, A. and Agarwal, A.K., "Performance, emissions and combustion characteristics of karanja biodiesel in a transportation engine", Fuel, Vol. 119, (2014), 70-80. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.002).
- Thangaraj, S. and Govindan, N., "Evaluating combustion, performance and emission characteristics of diesel engine using karanja oil methyl ester biodiesel blends enriched with HHO gas", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 43, No. 12, (2018) 6443-6455. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.02.036).
- Liaquata, A.M., "Application of blend fuels in a diesel engine", Energy Procedia, Vol. 14, (2012), 1124-1133. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2011.12.1065).
- Chang, Y., Lee, W., Wu, T., Wu, C. and Chen S., "Use of water containing acetone-butanol-ethanol for NOx-PM (nitrogen oxide-particulate matter) trade-off in the diesel engine fueled with biodiesel", Energy, Vol. 64, (2014), 678-687. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.10.077).
- Agarwal, A.K., "Biofuels (alcohols and biodiesel) applications as fuels for internal combustion engines", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 33, (2007), 233-271. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2006.08.003).
- Nigam, P.S. and Singh, A., "Production of liquid biofuels from renewable resources", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 37, (2011), 52-68. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2010.01.003).
- Patil, K.R. and Thipse, S.S., "Characterisation of the key fuel properties of oxygenated diethyl ether-diesel blends", Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 612, (2014), 175-180. (http://doi.org.10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.612.175).
- Bailey, B., Guguen, S. and Erwin J., "Diethyl ether (DEE) as a renewable fuel", SAE Paper, (1997), 972978. (https://doi.org/10.4271/972978).
- Patil, K.R. and Thipse, S.S., "Effect of injection timing on performance and emissions of direct injection CI engine running on diethyl ether-diesel blends", International Journal of Automotive & Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 3, (2016), 3773-3787. (https://doi.org/10.15282/ijame.13.3.2016.19.0309).
- Menezes, E.W.D., Silva, R.D., Cataluna, R. and Ortega, R.J.C., "Effect of ethers and ether/ethanol additives on the physicochemical properties of diesel fuel and on engine tests", Fuel, Vol. 85, (2006), 815-822. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2005.08.027).
- Ortiz, Y., Sanchez, Florez E.G. and Mesa, D.H., "Analysis of the influence of droplet breakup time using kelvin-helmholtz model, on the diesel spray formation, evaporation and combustion", International Journal of Automotive & Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 4, (2021), 9271-9283. (https://doi.org/10.15282/ijame.18.4.2021.10.0713).
- Patil, K.R., Thipse, S.S. and Warke, A., "Effect of oxygenate and cetane improver on performance and emissions of diesel engine fuelled with diethyl ether-diesel blends", SAE Technical Papers, Vol. 26, (2015), 0057. (http://doi.org.10.4271/2015-26-0057).
- Masoud, I., Subrahamanyam, J.P. and Babu M.K.G., "Potential of diethyl ether as supplementary fuel to improve combustion and emission characteristics of diesel engines", SAE Technical Papers, Vol. 28, (2008), 0044. (https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1805).
- Gonca, G., "Investigation of the effects of steam injection on performance and NO emissions of a diesel engine running with ethanol–diesel blend", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 77, (2014), 450-457. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.enconman.2013.09.031).
- Heywood, J.B., Internal combustion engine fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, New York, N.Y., (1988).
- Xing-cai, L., Jian-guang, Y., Wu-gao, Z. and Zhen, H., "Effect of cetane number improver on heat release rate and emissions of high-speed diesel engine fueled with ethanol-diesel blend fuel", Fuel, Vol. 83, (2004), 2013-2020. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.fuel.2004.05.003).
- Rakopoulos, D.C., Rakopoulos, C.D., Giakoumis, E.G. and Dimaratos, A.M., "Characteristics of performance and emissions in high-speed direct injection diesel engine fueled with diethyl ether/diesel fuel blends”, Energy, Vol. 43, No. 1, (2012), 214-224. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.energy.2012.04.039).
- Rakopoulos, D.C., Rakopoulos, C.D., Giakoumis, E.G. and Dimaratos, A.M., "Studying combustion and cyclic irregularity of diethyl ether as supplement fuel in diesel engine", Fuel, Vol. 109, (2013), 325-335. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.fuel.2013.01.012).
- Ali, O.M., Mamat, R., Masjuki, H.H. and Abdullah, A.A., "Analysis of blended fuel properties and cycle-to-cycle variation in a diesel engine with a diethyl ether additive", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 108, (2016), 511-519. (http://doi.org.10.1016/j.enconman.2015.11.035).
- Anand, R. and Mahalakshmi, N.V., "Simultaneous reduction of NOx and smoke from a direct-injection diesel engine with exhaust gas recirculation and diethyl ether", Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, (2007), 221. (https://doi.org/10.1243%2F09544070JAUTO258).
- Gorski, K. and Przedlacki, M., "Evaluation of the influence of diethyl ether (DEE) addition on selected physicochemical properties of diesel oil and ignition delay period", Energy & Fuels, Vol. 28, No. 4, (2014), 2608-2616. (http://doi.org.10.1021/ef4025036).
- Kowalewicz, A., "Eco-diesel engine fuelled with rapeseed oil methyl ester and ethanol, Part 1: Efficiency and emission", Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 219, (2005). (https://doi.org/10.1243%2F09544070JAUTO218).
- Rakopoulos, C.D., Antonopoulos, K.A. and Rakopoulos, D.C., "Multi-zone modeling of diesel engine fuel spray development with vegetable oil, bio-diesel or diesel fuels", Energy Conversion Management, Vol. 47, (2006), 1550-1573. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.08.005).