Document Type : Technical Note
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Golestan University, P. O. Box: 49138-15759, Gorgan, Golestan, Iran.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Babol University of Technology, P. O. Box: 47148-73113, Babol, Mazandaran, Iran.
Department of Electrical Engineering, Shahrood University of Technology, P. O. Box: 36199-95161, Shahrood, Semnan, Iran.
Energy harvesting from ambient vibrations using piezoelectric cantilevers is one of the most popular mechanisms for producing electrical energy. Recently, efforts have been made to improve the performance of energy harvesters. The output voltage dramatically depends on the geometrical and physical parameters of these devices. In addition, improved performance is often achieved by operating at or near the resonance point. So, this paper aims to reduce the natural frequency to match the environmental excitation frequency and increase the harvested energy. For this purpose, different geometrical and physical parameters are studied to determine the impact of each parameter. These parameters include the length, thickness, density, and Young’s modulus of each layer. The beam is considered a unimorph cantilever with rectangular configuration and the study is performed using COMSOL Multiphysics software. The results are compared with those obtained by an analytical approach. The results show that changing the parameters made the natural frequency of the system vary in the range of 20 Hz to 200 Hz and increased the output voltage up to 20 V.
- Fakhzan, M.N. and Muthalif, A.G., "Harvesting vibration energy using piezoelectric material: Modeling, simulation and experimental verifications", Mechatronics, Vol. 23, No. 1, (2013), 61-66. (https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MECHATRONICS.2012.10.009).
- Yang, Z., Zhou, S., Zu, J. and Inman, D., "High-performance piezoelectric energy harvesters and their applications", Joule, Vol. 2, No. 4, (2018), 642-697. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joule.2018.03.011).
- Williams, C.B., Shearwood, C., Harradine, M.A., Mellor, P.H., Birch, T.S. and Yates, R.B., "Development of an electromagnetic micro-generator", IEEE Proceedings-Circuits, Devices and Systems, Vol. 148, No. 6, (2001), 337-342. (https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cds:20010525).
- Roundy, S., Wright, P.K. and Rabaey, J., "A study of low level vibrations as a power source for wireless sensor nodes", Computer Communications, Vol. 26, No. 11, (2003), 1131-1144. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-3664(02)00248-7).
- Pradeesh, E.L. and Udhayakumar, S., "Effect of placement of piezoelectric material and proof mass on the performance of piezoelectric energy harvester", Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 130, (2019), 664-676. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2019.05.044).
- Eugeni, M., Elahi, H., Fune, F., Lampani, L., Mastroddi, F., Romano, G.P. and Gaudenzi, P., "Numerical and experimental investigation of piezoelectric energy harvester based on flag-flutter", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 10, (2020), 933. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2019.105634).
- Liu, Z., Cao, Y., Sha, A., Wang, H., Guo, L. and Hao, Y., "Energy harvesting array materials with thin piezoelectric plates for traffic data monitoring", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 302, (2021), 124-147. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2021.124147).
- Zhao, Z., Dai, Y., Dou, S.X. and Liang, J., "Flexible nanogenerators for wearable electronic applications based on piezoelectric materials", Materials Today Energy, Vol. 20, (2021), 100690. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtener.2021.100690).
- Su, H., Wang, X., Li, C., Wang, Z., Wu, Y., Zhang, J. and Zheng, H., "Enhanced energy harvesting ability of polydimethylsiloxane-BaTiO3-based flexible piezoelectric nanogenerator for tactile imitation application", Nano Energy, Vol. 83, (2021), 105809. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2021.105809).
- Nguyen, T.D., Deshmukh, N., Nagarah, J.M., Kramer, T., Purohit, P.K., Berry, M.J. and McAlpine, M.C., "Piezoelectric nanoribbons for monitoring cellular deformations", Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 10, No. 1038, (2012), 587-593. (https://doi.org/10.1038/nnano.2012.112).
- Jamshidi, R. and Jafari, A.A., "Conical shell vibration control with distributed piezoelectric sensor and actuator layer", Composite Structures, Vol. 117, (2021), 96-117. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isatra.2021.01.037).
- Rui, X., Zeng, Z., Zhang, Y., Li, Y., Feng, H., Huang, X. and Sha, Z., "Design and experimental investigation of a self-tuning piezoelectric energy harvesting system for intelligent vehicle wheels", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 69, No. 2, (2020), 1440-1451 (https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2019.2959616).
- Wang, K.F., Wang, B.L., Gao, Y. and Zhou, J.Y., "Nonlinear analysis of piezoelectric wind energy harvesters with different geometrical shapes", Archive of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 90, (2020), 721-736. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00419-019-01636-8).
- Pradeesh, E.L., Udhayakumar, S. and Sathishkumar, C., "Investigation on various beam geometries for piezoelectric energy harvester with two serially mounted piezoelectric materials", SN Applied Sciences, Vol. 1, No.1648, (2019), 1-11. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-019-1709-4).
- Zhang, S., Liu, Y., Deng, J., Tian, X. and Gao, X., "Development of a two-DOF inertial rotary motor using a piezoelectric actuator constructed on four bimorphs", Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 149, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2020.107213).
- Moon, K., Choe, J., Kim, H., Ahn, D. and Jeong, J., "A method of broadening the bandwidth by tuning the proof mass in a piezoelectric energy harvesting cantilever", Sensors and Actuators, A: Physical, Vol. 276, (2018), 17-25. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2018.04.004).
- Zhang, G., Gao, S., Liu, H. and Niu, S., "A low frequency piezoelectric energy harvester with trapezoidal cantilever beam: theory and experiment", Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 23, (2017), 3457-3466. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-016-3224-5).
- Karadag, C.V., Ertarla, S., Topaloglu, N. and Okyar, A.F., "Optimization of beam profiles for improved piezoelectric energy harvesting efficiency", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 63, (2021), 631-643. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-020-02714-0).
- Lee, M.S., Kim, C.I., Park, W.I., Cho, J.H., Paik, J.H. and Jeong, Y.H., "Energy harvesting performance of unimorph piezoelectric cantilever generator using interdigitated electrode lead zirconate titanate laminate", Energy, Vol. 179, (2019), 373-382. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.04.215).
- Alameh, A.H., Gratuze, M. and Nabki, F., "Impact of geometry on the performance of cantilever-based piezoelectric vibration energy harvesters", IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 22, (2019), 10316-10326. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2019.2932341).
- Rua Taborda, M.I., Elissalde, C., Chung, U.C., Maglione, M., Fernandes, E., Salehian, A. and Debéda, H., "Key features in the development of unimorph stainless steel cantilever with screen‐printed PZT dedicated to energy harvesting applications", International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, Vol. 17, No. 6, (2020), 2533-2544. (https://doi.org/10.1111/ijac.13588).
- Ahoor, Z.H., Ghafarirad, H. and Zareinejad, M., "Nonlinear dynamic modeling of bimorph piezoelectric actuators using modified constitutive equations caused by material nonlinearity", Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Vol. 28, No. 8, (2021), 763-773. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15376494.2019.1590885).
- Erturk, A. and Inman, D.J., "A distributed parameter electromechanical model for cantilevered piezoelectric energy harvesters", Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 130, No. 4, (2008), 1-15. (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2890402).
- Rahimzadeh, M., Samadi, H. and Mohammadi, N.S., "Analysis of energy harvesting enhancement in piezoelectric unimorph cantilevers", Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 24, (2021), 1-16. (https://doi.org/10.3390/s21248463).