Document Type : Research Article
Department of Energy Engineering, Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University (IAU), P. O. Box: 14515-775, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology (IROST), P. O. Box: 33535-111, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
In this study, various configurations design of a Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) are examined to enhance energy efficiency of a Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP). A novel approach is used to investigate ten applicable configurations of a dual pressure Heat Recovery Steam Generator HRSG thoroughly to explore the best practice models from the energy-conserving considerations. Further, a fuel consumption assessment has been conducted to identify the best performance of the cycle and investigate the minimum pollutants released of each Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) configuration. The results have revealed that four scenarios among ten, have expressed a considerably better performance regarding; fuel consumption, steam production, energy efficiency, and finally yet importantly environmental considerations. Further, it has been found that in comparison to the conventional configuration, not only the selected scenarios have proved almost four times improvement in the low-pressure steam generation, but also 30% fuel consumption saving in supplementary firing has been achieved which has both economic and environmental benefits. Moreover the carbon dioxide saving potential for the best scenario is 51.37 kgCO2 MWh-1 consequently the environmental benefit of it is calculated about 133,418 $ MWh-1.
- Moghadasi, M., Ozgoli, H.A. and Farhani, F., "A machine learning-based operational control framework for reducing energy consumption of an amine-based gas sweetening process", International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 45, No. 1, (2021), 1055-1068. (https://doi.org/10.1002/er.6159).
- Ozgoli, H.A. and Ghadamian, H., "Energy price analysis of a biomass gasification-solid oxide fuel cell-gas turbine power plant", Iranian Journal of Hydrogen & Fuel Cell, Vol. 3, No. 1, (2016), 45-58. (https://doi.org/10.22104/ijhfc.2016.327).
- Ozgoli, H.A., Safari, S. and Sharifi, M.H., "Integration of a biomass-fueled proton exchange membrane fuel cell system and a vanadium redox battery as a power generation and storage system", Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Vol. 42, (2020), 100896. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2020.100896).
- Moghadasi, M., Ozgoli, H.A. and Farhani, F., "Gas sweetening process simulation - Investigation on recovering waste hydraulic energy", International Journal of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 8, (2018), 789-804. (https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1340566).
- Ozgoli, H.A., Elyasi, S. and Mollazadeh, M., "Hydrodynamic and electrochemical modeling of vanadium redox flow battery", Mechanics & Industry, Vol. 16, No. 2, (2015), 201-213. (https://doi.org/10.1051/meca/2014071).
- Ozgoli, H.A., Ghadamian, H. and Farzaneh, H., "Energy efficiency improvement analysis considering environmental aspects in regard to biomass gasification PSOFC/GT power generation system", Procedia Environmental Sciences, Vol. 17, (2013), 831-841. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2013.02.101).
- Ozgoli H.A., Moghadasi, M., Farhani, F. and Sadigh, M., "Modeling and simulation of an integrated gasification SOFC-CHAT cycle to improve power and efficiency", Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, Vol. 36, No. 2, (2016), 610-618. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.12487).
- Safari, S., Ghasedi, A.H. and Ozgoli, H.A., "Integration of solar dryer with a hybrid system of gasifier-solid oxide fuel cell/micro gas turbine: Energy, economy, and environmental analysis", Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, Vol. 40, No. 3, (2020), e13569. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.13569).
- Safari, S., Hajilounezhad, T. and Ehyaei, M.A., "Multi-objective optimization of solid oxide fuel cell/gas turbine combined heat and power system: A comparison between particle swarm and genetic algorithms", International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 44, No. 11, (2020), 9001-9020. (https://doi.org/10.1002/er.5610).
- Ozgoli, H.A. and Yazdani, H., "Integration of a vanadium redox flow battery with a proton exchange membrane fuel cell as an energy storage system", Iranian Journal of Hydrogen and Fuel Cell, Vol. 1, (2017), 53-68. (https://doi.org/10.22104/ijhfc.2017.2281.1140).
- Abanades, S., Abbaspour, H., Ahmadi, A., Das, B., Ali Ehyaei, M., Esmaeilion, F., El Haj Assad, M., Hajilounezhad, T., Hmida, A., Rosen, M.A., Safari, S., Shabi, M.A. and Silveira, J.L., "A conceptual review of sustainable electrical power generation from biogas", Energy Science & Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 2, (2021), 630-655. (https://doi.org/10.1002/ese3.1030).
- Ozgoli, H.A., "Simulation of integrated biomass gasification-gas turbine-air bottoming cycle as an energy efficient system", International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 7, No. 1, (2017), 276-284. (https://doi.org/10.20508/ijrer.v7i1.5428.g6986).
- Ozgoli, H.A., Ghadamian, H. and Pazouki, M., "Economic analysis of biomass gasification-solid oxide fuel cell-gas turbine hybrid cycle", International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 7, No. 3, (2017), 1007-1018. (https://doi.org/10.20508/ijrer.v7i3.5814.g7131).
- Safari, S. and Ozgoli, H.A., "Electrochemical modeling and techno-economic analysis of solid oxide fuel cell for residential applications", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 7, No. 1, (2020), 40-50. (https://doi.org/10.30501/jree.2020.105451).
- Kaviri, A.G., Jaafar, M.N.M., Lazim, T.M. and Barzegaravval, H., "Exergoenvironmental optimization of heat recovery steam generators in combined cycle power plant through energy and exergy analysis", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 67, (2013), 27-33. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.10.017).
- Kumar, A., Kachhwaha, S. and Mishra, R., "Thermodynamic analysis of a regenerative gas turbine cogeneration plant", Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, Vol. 69, No. 3, (2010), 225-231. (http://nopr.niscpr.res.in/bitstream/123456789/7384/1/JSIR%2069%283%29%20225-231.pdf).
- Khaliq, A. and Kaushik, S.C., "Second-law based thermodynamic analysis of Brayton/Rankine combined power cycle with reheat", Applied Energy, Vol. 78, No. 2, (2004), 179-197. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2003.08.002).
- Ahmadi, P. and Dincer, I., "Thermodynamic analysis and thermoeconomic optimization of a dual pressure combined cycle power plant with a supplementary firing unit", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 52, No. 5, (2011), 2296-2308. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.12.023).
- Franco, A. and Casarosa, C., "On some perspectives for increasing the efficiency of combined cycle power plants", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 13, (2002), 1501-1518. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(02)00053-4).
- Bassily, A.M., "Modeling, numerical optimization, and irreversibility reduction of a triple-pressure reheat combined cycle," Energy, Vol. 32, No. 5, (2007), 778-794. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2006.04.017).
- Tajik Mansouri, M., Ahmadi, P., Ganjeh Kaviri, A. and Mohd Jaafar, M.N., "Exergetic and economic evaluation of the effect of HRSG configurations on the performance of combined cycle power plants", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 58, (2012), 47-58. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2011.12.020).
- Antonanzas, J., Alía Martínez, M., Ascacibar, F.J. and Antonanzas, F., "Towards the hybridization of gas-fired power plants: A case study of Algeria", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 51, (2015), 116-124. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.06.019).
- Erdem, H. and Sevilgen, S., "Case study: Effect of ambient temperature on the electricity production and fuel consumption of a simple cycle gas turbine in Turkey", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 26, (2006), 320-326. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.08.002).
- Ibrahim, T.K., Kamil Mohammed, M., Awad, O.I., Rahman, M.M., Najafi, G., Basrawi, F., Abd Alla, A.N. and Mamat, R., "The optimum performance of the combined cycle power plant: A comprehensive review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 79, (2017), 459-474. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.05.060).
- Feng, H., Zhong, W., Wu, Y. and Tong, S., "Thermodynamic performance analysis and algorithm model of multi-pressure heat recovery steam generators (HRSG) based on heat exchangers layout", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 81, (2014), 282-289. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.02.060).
- Razak, A.M.Y., Industrial gas turbines, 1st Edition, Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier, (2007), 624-650.
- Ahmadi, A., Das, B., Ehyaei, M.A., Esmaeilion, F., El Haj Assad, M., Jamali, D.H., Koohshekan, O., Kumar, R., Rosen, M.A., Negi, S., Sekhar Bhogilla, S. and Safari, S., "Energy, exergy, and techno-economic performance analyses of solar dryers for agro products: A comprehensive review", Solar Energy, Vol. 228, (2021), 349-373. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2021.09.060).
- Abanades, S., Abbaspour, H., Ahmadi, A., Das, B., Ehyaei, M.A., Esmaeilion, F., El Haj Assad, M., Hajilounezhad, T., Jamali, D.H., Hmida, A., Ozgoli, H.A., Safari, S., AlShabi, M. and Bani-Hani, E.H., "A critical review of biogas production and usage with legislations framework across the globe", International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 19, (2022), 3377–3400. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-021-03301-6).
- Hosseinpour, J., Chitsaz, A., Liu, L. and Gao, Y., "Simulation of eco-friendly and affordable energy production via solid oxide fuel cell integrated with biomass gasification plant using various gasification agents", Renewable Energy, Vol. 145, (2020), 757-771. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.06.033).