Document Type : Review Article
Department of Electrical Engineering Technology, School of Electrical Engineering, KIIT deemed to be University, Bhubaneswar, India.
The solar photovoltaic system is modeled in Simulink using Matlab. Boost converter, FOTIDC controller, and Reduced Switch Multilevel Inverter are all included in this PV system (RSMLI). With regard to solar photovoltaic systems, the focus of this study is on the Fractional Order Tilt Integral Derivative Controller (FOTIDC). In the suggested control technique, Hybrid Genetic Particle Swarm Jaya Optimization is used to optimize the control parameters (HGPSJO). Jaya Optimization (JO) is a hybrid of the Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO), Genetic Algorithm (GA), and GA/PSO algorithm optimization techniques, combining the best of each for improved control executions. Control performance is enhanced using a fractional calculus-based technique to redesign the Tilt Integral Derivative Controller (TIDC) in order to reduce noise and harmonic distortions. Harmonic distortion and voltage magnitude are reduced by applying the proposed control method to the PV system. Simulated Matlab environments are used to test the stability, robustness, and stability of the proposed system as well as its capacity to reduce harmonic distortions. It is also compared to other well-known control techniques in order to ensure that the real-time implementation is properly validated.
- Shakouri, M., Ghadamian, H. and Noorpoor, A., "Quasi-dynamic energy performance analysis of building integrated photovoltaic thermal double skin façade for middle eastern climate case", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 179, (2020), 115724. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.115724).
- Gopal, Y., Birla, D. and Lalwani, M., "Reduced switches multilevel inverter integration with boost converters in photovoltaic system", SN Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 1, (2020), 1-15. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-019-1848-7).
- Janardhan, K., Mittal, A. and Ojha, A., "A symmetrical multilevel inverter topology with minimal switch count and total harmonic distortion", Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, Vol. 29, No. 11, (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218126620501741).
- Mukundan, C.N., Jayaprakash, P., Subramaniam, U. and Almakhles, D.J., "Binary hybrid multilevel inverter-based grid integrated solar energy conversion system with damped SOGI control", IEEE Access, Vol. 8, (2020), 37214-37228. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2974773).
- Gopal, Y., Birla, D. and Lalwani, M., "Selected harmonic elimination for cascaded multilevel inverter based on photovoltaic with fuzzy logic control maximum power point tracking technique", Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 3, (2018), 62-79.(https://doi.org/10.3390/technologies6030062).
- Babkrani, Y., Naddami, A. and Hilal, M., "A smart cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter with an optimized modulation techniques increasing the quality and reducing harmonics", International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems, Vol. 10, No. 4, (2019), 1852-1862. (https://doi.org/10.11591/ijpeds.v10.i4.1852-1862).
- Mhiesan, H., Wei, Y., Siwakoti, Y.P. and Mantooth, H.A., "A fault-tolerant hybrid cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 12, (2020), 12702-12715. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2020.2996097).
- Doostinia, M, Beheshti, M.T.H., Alavi, S.A. and Guerrero J.M., "Distributed control strategy for DC microgrids based on average consensus and fractional‐order local controllers", IET Smart Grid, Vol. 4, No. 8, (2021),1-12. (https://doi.org/10.1049/stg2.12038).
- Guha, D.R., Banerjee, P.K., Padmanaban, S., Blaabjerg, S. and Chittathuru, D., "Small-signal stability analysis of hybrid power system with quasi-oppositional sine cosine algorithm optimized fractional order PID controller", IEEE Access, Vol. 8, (2020), 155971-155986. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3018620).
- Djebbri, S., Ladaci, S., Metatla, A. and Balaska, H., "Fractional-order model reference adaptive control of a multi-source renewable energy system with coupled DC/DC converters power compensation", Energy Systems, Vol. 11, No. 2, (2020), 315-355. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12667-018-0317-5).
- Shakouri, M., Noorpoor, A. and Ghadamian, H., "Quantification of thermal energy performance improvement for building integrated photovoltaic double-skin façade using analytical method", Journal of Renewable Energy and Environment (JREE), Vol. 7, No. 3, (2020), 56-66. (https://dx.doi.org/10.30501/jree.2020.228559.1105).
- Shakoori, M., Noorpoor, A., Golzari, S. and Zamen, M., "Energy simulation and parametric analysis of water cooled photovoltaic/thermal system", Amirkabir Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 6, (2019), 1361-1374.( in Farsi) (https://dx.doi.org/10.22060/mej.2017.12703.5402).
- Ramadan, H.S., "Optimal fractional order PI control applicability for enhanced dynamic behavior of on-grid solar PV systems", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 42, No. 7, (2017), 4017-4031. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2017.01.122).
- Shakouri, M., Ebadi, H. and Gorjian, S., "Solar photovoltaic thermal (PVT) module technologies", In Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conversion, Academic Press, Vol. 1, No. 1, (2020), 79-116. (https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-819610-6.00004-1).
- Fallah Ardashir, J., Mohammadpour, S.A., Khoun-Jahan, H. and Sabahi, M.,"Fractional PR control of a grid tied flying capacitor inverter for PV applications", Journal of Energy Management and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 2, (2019), 58-64. (https://dx.doi.org/10.22109/jemt.2019.143673.1116).
- Yousef, A.M., Abo-Elyousr, F.., Elnozohy, A., Mohamed, M. and Abdelwahab, S.A.M., "Fractional order PI control in hybrid renewable power generation system to three phase grid connection", International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 3, (2020), 470-493. (https://dx.doi.org/10.15676/ijeei.2020.12.3.5).
- Merai, M., Naouar, M.W., Slama-Belkhodja, I. and Monmasson, E., "An adaptive PI controller design for DC-link voltage control of single-phase grid-connected converters", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 8, (2018), 6241-6249. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2018.2871796).
- Swarnakar, J., Sarkar, P. and Singh, L.J., "Direct discretization method for realizing a class of fractional order system in delta domain–a unified approach", Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, Vol. 53, No 2, (2019), 127-139. (https://doi.org/10.3103/S014641161902007X).
- Heredero-Peris, D., Chillón-Antón, C., Sánchez-Sánchez, E. and Montesinos-Miracle, D., "Fractional proportional-resonant current controllers for voltage source converter", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 168, (2019), 20-45. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2018.09.014).
- Zhang, S., Wei, J., Xu, Z., Tang, B. and Niu, R., "Research on the influence of system parameters on the electromechanical dynamics of a large wind turbine drivetrain", Energy Reports, Vol. 7, (2021), 7835-7851. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2021.11.020).
- Ahmed, T., Waqar, A., Elavarasan, R.M., Imtiaz, J., Premkumar, M. and Subramaniam, U., "Analysis of fractional order sliding mode control in a D-STATCOM integrated power distribution system", IEEE Access, Vol. 9, (2021), 70337-70352. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3078608).
- Nicola, M. and Nicola, C.I., "Fractional-order control of grid-connected photovoltaic system based on synergetic and sliding mode controllers", Energies, Vol. 14, No. 2, (2021), 510-535. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en14020510).
- Darvish, F.A., "Optimal fractional order BELBIC to ameliorate small signal stability of interconnected hybrid power system", Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy, Vol. 38, No. 5, (2019), 13208, 1-23. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2021.102983).
- Kakkar, S., Maity, T., Ahuja, R.K., Walde, P., Saket, R.K., Khan, B. and Padmanaban, S., "Design and control of grid-connected PWM rectifiers by optimizing fractional order PI controller using water cycle algorithm", IEEE Access, Vol. 9, (2021), 125941-125954. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3110431).
- Zamee, M.A. and Dongjun W., "A novel plant propagation-based cascaded fractional order PI controller for optimal operation of grid-connected single-stage three-phase solar photovoltaic system", Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No, 20, (2019), 4269-4290. (https://doi.org/10.3390/app9204269).
- Ozan, G.Ü.L. and Nusret, T.A.N., "Voltage control at building integrated photovoltaic and wind turbine system with PI-PD controller", Avrupa Bilim ve Teknoloji Dergisi, Vol. 18, (2020), 992-1003. (https://doi.org/10.31590/ejosat.668427).
- Guel-Cortez, A.J., Méndez-Barrios, C.F., González-Galván, E.J., Mejía-Rodríguez, G. and Félix, L., "Geometrical design of fractional PDμ controllers for linear time-invariant fractional-order systems with time delay", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, Vol. 233, No. 7, (2019), 815-829. (https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0959651818823450).
- Lai, J., Yin, X., Yin, X. and Jiang, L., "Fractional order harmonic disturbance observer control for three-phase LCL-type inverter", Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 107, (2021), 1-13. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2020.104697).
- Shakouri, M. and Ghadamian, H., "A energy and exergy quasi-dynamic analysis of building integrated photovoltaic system using data analytics", Journal of Solar Energy Research, Vol. 4, No. 4, (2019), 273-279. (https://dx.doi.org/10.22059/jser.2020.295324.1136).
- Mousavi, Y., Bevan, G., Küçükdemiral, I.B. and Fekih, A., "Maximum power extraction from wind turbines using a fault-tolerant fractional-order nonsingular terminal sliding mode controller", Energies, Vol. 14, No. 18, (2021), 5887-5903. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en14185887).
- Pazhanimurugan, R., Bensraj R. and Balamurugan. C.R., "Time response of FOPID controlled PV based cascaded landsman converter-inverter fed induction motor and electric drives applications", International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems, Vol. 11, No. 3, (2020), 1379-1387. (https://doi.org/10.11591/ijpeds.v11.i3.pp1379-1387).
- Prasad, P., Bhaskara, P.L.M., and Sarvesh, B., "Fractional order PID controlled cascaded re-boost seven level inverter fed induction motor system with enhanced response", International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems, Vol. 9, No. 4, (2018), 1784-1791. (https://doi.org/10.11591/ijpeds.v9.i4.pp1784-1791).
- Long, B., Lu, P.J., Chong, K.T., Rodriguez, J. and Guerrero, J.M., "Robust fuzzy-fractional-order nonsingular terminal sliding-mode control of a LCL-type grid-connected converter", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2021.3094411).
- Yousef, A.M., Abo-Elyousr, F.K., Elnozohy, A., Mohamed, M. and Abdelwahab, S.A.M., "Fractional order PI control in hybrid renewable power generation system to three phase grid connection", International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 3, (2020), 470-493. (https://doi.org/10.15676/ijeei.2020.12.3.5).
- Ahmed, E.M., Mohamed, E.A., Elmelegi, A., Aly, M. and Elbaksawi, O., "Optimum modified fractional order controller for future electric vehicles and renewable energy-based interconnected power systems", IEEE Access, Vol. 9, (2021), 29993-30010. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3058521).
- Priyadarshani, S, Subhashini, K.R. and Satapathy, J.K., "Pathfinder algorithm optimized fractional order tilt-integral-derivative (FOTID) controller for automatic generation control of multi-source power system", Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 27, No. 1, (2021), 23-35. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-020-04897-4).
- Banaei, M.R. and Hossein A.F.B., "A high efficiency nonisolated buck–boost converter based on ZETA converter", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 3 (2019), 1991-1998. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2019.2902785).
- Padmanaban, S., "An original transformer and switched-capacitor (T and SC)-based extension for DC-DC boost converter for high-voltage/low-current renewable energy applications: Hardware implementation of a new T and SC boost converter", Energies, Vol. 11, No. 4, (2018), 783-806. (http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en11040783).
- Leyva-Ramos, J., Mota-Varona, R., Ortiz-Lopez, M. G., Diaz-Saldierna, L.H. and Langarica-Cordoba, D., "Control strategy of a quadratic boost converter with voltage multiplier cell for high-voltage gain", IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 4, (2017), 1761-1770. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2749311).
- Zhang, Y., Liu, H., Li, J., Sumner, M. and Xia, C., "DC–DC boost converter with a wide input range and high voltage gain for fuel cell vehicles", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 34, No. 5, (2018), 4100-4111. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2018.2858443).
- Premkumar, K. and Shyam, D., "Design and development of N-level symmetrical multilevel inverter topology with reduced switches", Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, Vol. 30, No. 11, 2150197.(https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218126621501978).
- Davis, T.T. and Dey, A., "Enhanced floating capacitor voltage balancing schemes for single-source seven-level inverters with capacitor fed H-bridge units", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 8, (2019), 6227-6236. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2019.2939976).
- Motamarri, R. and Bhookya, N., "JAYA algorithm based on Lévy flight for global MPPT under partial shading in photovoltaic system", IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 4, (2020), 4979-4991. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2020.3036405).
- Monteghetti, F., Ghislain, H., and Matignon, D., "Stability of linear fractional differential equations with delays: A coupled parabolic-hyperbolic PDEs formulation", IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 50, No. 1, (2017), 13282-13288. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.1966).