Document Type : Research Article
Assistant Professor, Graduated Faculty of Environment, College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Ph. D student in Environmental Planning, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
The rising temperature of the earth's surface and the formation of heat islands in megacities have become two of the biggest environmental threats. This compound problem affects urban climatology, including urban vegetation and air pollution, human health, and the environment, including the group of vulnerable members of the society and public health, leading to the growing death rate. Hence, the purpose of this study is to investigate the leading causes of temperature changes and the development of a thermal island in the city of Tehran following the expansion of this metropolis in recent decades. This research uses thermal remote sensing and GIS techniques to analyze information from Landsat satellite images in (TM-ETM-TIRS) sensors from 1984 to 2020. The results of the research indicated that the surface temperature of the city of Tehran during the years 1984 to 1996, 1998 to 2008, and 2010 to 2020 experienced a relative increase in the summer and winter seasons. In the first decade, the average temperature of the green layer was -7, while the temperature of the magenta and red layers were 20 and 25 degrees, respectively. In the second decade, the average temperatures of the green and dark green classes were -1 and 3 while they were 23 and 27 degrees for the magenta and red classes, respectively. In the third decade, the average temperatures of the green and dark green classes were -1 and 3, and thost of the magenta and red layers increased to 28 and 31 degrees, respectively. Furthermore, the analysis of vegetation cover based on the NDVI index pointed to the continuing reduction of vegetation in the studied years. Regarding the direct correlation between the heat island and vegetation and the concentration of the heat island in the city center, further measures must be taken and the vegetation cover should be increased to reduce the heat island. The city center needs to be decentralized as part of the remedy via proper urban design and planning.
- Mendez-Astudillo J., Lau L., Tang Y. T., Moore T. "A new Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) based method for urban heat island intensity monitoring". International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation. Vol, 94. (2021). Article Number: 102222. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2020.102222).
- Tepanosyan G., Muradyan V., Hovsepyan A., Pinigin G., Medvedev A., Shushanik Asmaryan Sh. "Studying spatial-temporal changes and relationship of land cover and surface Urban Heat Island derived through remote sensing in Yerevan". Armenia Building and Environment. Vol, 187. (2021). Article Number: 107390. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107390).
- El-Hadidy Sh. M. "The relationship between urban heat islands and geological hazards in Mokattam plateau, Cairo, Egypt". The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences. Vol, 24. (2021). Issue 3, Part 2, Pages 547-557. (doi:10.1016/j.ejrs.2021.02.004).
- Macintyre H. L., Heaviside C., Cai X., Phalkey R. "The winter urban heat island: Impacts on cold-related mortality in a highly urbanized European region for present and future climate". Environment International. Vol, 154. (2021). Article Number: 106606. (DOI: 10.1016/j.envint.2021.106530).
- Kabano P., Lindley S., Harris A. "Evidence of urban heat island impacts on the vegetation growing season length in a tropical city". Landscape and Urban Planning. Vol, 206. (2021). Article Number: 103989. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2020.103989).
- Harun Z., Reda E., Abdulrazzaq A., Amer Abbas A., Yusup Y., Zaki Sh. A. "Urban heat island in the modern tropical Kuala Lumpur: Comparative weight of the different parameters". Alexandria Engineering Journal. Vol, 59. The issue, 6. (2020). Pages 4475-4489. (DOI: 10.1016/j.aej.2020.07.053).
- Li H., Zhou Y., Jia G., Zhao K., Dong J. "Quantifying the response of surface urban heat island to urbanization using the annual temperature cycle model". Geoscience Frontiers .Vol, 13. The issue, 1.2022. Article Number: 101141. (doi:10.1016/j.gsf.2021.101141).
- Wang Y., Yi G., Zhou X., Zhang T., Bie X., Li J., Ji B. "Spatial distribution and influencing factors on urban land surface temperature of twelve megacities in China from 2000 to 2017". Ecological Indicators.Vol,125. (2021). Article Number: 107533. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2021.107533).
- Sekertekin A., Zadbagher E. "Simulation of future land surface temperature distribution and evaluating surface urban heat island based on impervious surface area". Ecological Indicators.Vol, 122. (2021). Article Number: 107230. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2020.107230).
- Vasenev V., Varentsova M., Konstantinov P., Romzaykina O., Kanareykina I., Dvornikov V., Manukyana Y. "Projecting urban heat island effect on the spatial-temporal variation of microbial respiration in urban soils of Moscow megalopolis". Science of the Total Environment.Vol, 786 .(2021). Article Number: 147457 .(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.147457).
- Koopmans S., Heusinkveld B. G., Steeneveld G. J. "A standardized Physical Equivalent Temperature urban heat map at 1-m spatial resolution to facilitate climate stress tests in the Netherlands". Building and Environment.Vol, 181. (2020). Article Number: 106984. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.106984).
- Wei B., Bao Y., Yu Sh., Yin Sh., Zhang Y. "Analysis of land surface temperature variation based on MODIS data a case study of the agricultural pastural ecotone of northern China". International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation. Vol, 100. (2021). Article Number: 102342. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2021.102342).
- Ye X., Ren H., Liang Y., Zhu J., Guo J., Nie J., Zeng H., Zhao Y., Qian Y. "Cross-calibration of Chinese Gaofen-5 thermal infrared images and its improvement on land surface temperature retrieval". International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation.Vol,101 .(2021). Article Number: 102357. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2021.102357).
- Gupta N., Mathew A., Khandelwal S. "Analysis of cooling effect of water bodies on land surface temperature in the nearby region: A case study of Ahmedabad and Chandigarh cities in India". The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences.Vol, 22. The issue, 1. (2019). Pages 81-93 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrs.2018.03.007).
- Chi Y., Sun J., Sun Y., Liu Sh., Fu Zh. "Multi-temporal characterization of land surface temperature and its relationships with normalized difference vegetation index and soil moisture content in the Yellow River Delta, China". Global Ecology and Conservation.Vol, 23. (2020). Article Number: e01092. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2020.e01092).
- Al-Masaodi H. J. O., Al-Zubaidi H. A. M. "Spatial-temporal changes of land surface temperature and land cover over Babylon Governorate, Iraq". Materials Today: Proceedings. (2021). (doi:10.1016/J.MATPR.2021.05.179).
- Liu Ch., Yang M., Hou Y., Zhao Y., Xue X. "Spatiotemporal evolution of island ecological quality under different urban densities: A comparative analysis of Xiamen and Kinmen Islands, southeast China". Ecological Indicators.Vol, 124. (2021). Article Number: 107438. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2021.107438).
- Ahmed S. " Assessment of urban heat islands and impact of climate change on socioeconomic over Suez Governorate using remote sensing and GIS techniques". The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences.Vol, 21. Issue, 1 .(2018). Pages 15-25. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrs.2017.08.001).
- Wang W., Liu K., Tang R., Wang Sh. "Remote sensing image-based analysis of the urban heat island effect in Shenzhen". China Physics and Chemistry of the Earth.Vol, 110. (2019). Pages 168-175. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2019.01.002).
- Gadrani L., Lominadze G., Tsitsagi M. "F Assessment of landuse/landcover (LULC) change of Tbilisi and surrounding area using remote sensing (RS) and GIS". Annals of Agrarian Science.Vol, 16. The issue, 2. (2018). Pages 163-169. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aasci.2018.02.005).
- Mousavi-Baygi M., Ashraf B., Miyanabady A. "The Investigation of Tehran's Heat Island by using the Surface Ozone and Temperature Data". International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences (2010), Vol 5(2), Pages189-200. (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268327877).
- Akbari H. "Consideration of Temperature distribution pattern of Tehran using Landsat TM thermal data". MA dissertation, Tarbiat modarres University, 2000. (https://ganj.irandoc.ac.ir ).(In Persian)
- Weng Q. "Thermal infrared remote sensing for urban climate and environmental studies: Methods, applications, and trends". ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.Vol, 64. The issue, 4. (2009). Pages 335-344. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2009.03.007).
- Amiri R., Weng Q., Alimohammadi A., Alavipanah S. K. "Spatial-temporal dynamics of land surface temperature in relation to fractional vegetation cover and land use/cover in the Tabriz urban area, Iran". Remote Sensing of Environment.Vol,113. Issue 12, 15 .(2009) Pages 2606-2617. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2009.07.021).
- Oke T. R. "City size and the urban heat island". Atmospheric Environment Pergamon Press. Vol, 7. (1973). Pages 769-779. (https://www.patarnott.com/pdf/Oke1979CitySizeAndHeatIsland.pdf).
- Oke T. R. "The energetic basis of urban heat island". Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society Vol, 108. (1982). Pages 1-24. (https://www.patarnott.com/pdf/Oake1982_UHI.pdf).
- Barry R., Chorley R. J. "Atmosphere, Weather and climate". London: Methuen and co. Ltd. (1987). (https://www.routledge.com/Atmosphere-Weather-and-Climate/Barry-Chorley/p/book/9780415465700).
- Rizwan A. M., Dennis L. Y., Liu C. "A review on the generation, determination and mitigation of Urban Heat Island". Journal of Environmental Sciences.Vol, 20. The issue, 1. (2008). Pages 120-128. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(08)60019-4).
- Rajeshwari A., Mani N. D. "Estimation of land surface temperature of Dindigul district using Landsat 8 data". International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology.Vol, 3 .(2014). Pages 122-126. (https://ijret.org/volumes/2014v03/i05/IJRET20140305025.pdf).
- Lam N. S. N. "Description and measurement of Landsat TM images using fractals". Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. Vol, 56. Pages187-195. (https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/uploads/pers/1990journal/feb/1990_feb_187-195.pdf).
- Sadeghinia A., Alijani B., Ziaeian P., Khaledi S. "Application of spatial autocorrelation techniques in the analysis of the thermal island of Tehran". Applied Research in Geographical Sciences.Vol, 30 .(2013).Pages 67-90. .(https://www.sid.ir/en/Journal/ViewPaper.aspx?ID=354812). (In Persian)
- Chander G., Markham B., Helder D. "Summary of current radiometric calibration coefficients for Landsat MSS, TM, ETM+, and EO-1 ALI sensors". Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol, 113. (2009). Pages 893-903. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2009.01.007).
- VAN DE GRIEND A., OWE M. "On the relationship between thermal emissivity and the normalized difference vegetation index for natural surfaces ".International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol, 14. The issue, 6. (1993). Pages 1119-1131.(https://doi.org/10.1080/01431169308904400).