Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering, Fasa University, P. O. Box: 74617-81189, Fasa, Iran.
The design of novel and effective receivers is one of the most challenging aspects of solar energy harvesters, especially for Parabolic Dish Collectors (PDCs). The variation of solar flux due to the solar time and sky clearance index can affect the output thermal energy of the collector. One of the major approaches to producing a uniform performance for the PDCs is the utilization of Phase Change Materials (PCMs). The PCMs can absorb the solar flux at its peak instances. Subsequently, due to the thermal buffering effect, excess energy is released in cases with lower solar flux. In the present study, a novel design of receiver with multiple layers of thin PCM inserted between the passages of the working fluid is numerically simulated. The simulations are designed to determine the effect of operational parameters on the performance of the examined novel receiver. According to the results, by increasing the Heat Transfer Fluid (HTF) flow rate from 60 to 90 kg/h, the system efficiency is increased from 53.8 to 66.4 %.
- Kousik, S. S., Natarajan, S. K., "Combined enhancement of evaporation and condensation rates in the solar still for augmenting the freshwater productivity using energy storage and natural fibres", J. Water Supply: Res. Technology-Aqua., Vol. 71, (2022), 628–641. (https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.2022.017).
- Panchal, H. N. & Patel, N., "ANSYS CFD and experimental comparison of various parameters of a solar still", International Journal of Ambient Energy, Vol. 39, (2018), 551-557, (https://doi.org/ 10.1080/01430750.2017.1318785).
- Kabeel, A. E., Elkelawy, M., Mohamad, H. A., Elbanna, A. M., Panchal, H., Suresh, M., Israr, M., "The influences of loading ratios and conveying velocity on gas-solid two phase flow characteristics: a comprehensive experimental CFD-DEM study", International Journal of Ambient Energy, Vol. 43, (2022), 2714-2726, (https://doi.org/ 10.1080/01430750.2020.1758777).
- Sonawane, C., Alrubaie, A. J., Panchal, H., Chamkha, A. J., Jaber, M. M., Oza, A. D., Zahmatkesh, S., Burduhos-Nergis, D. D., Burduhos-Nergis, D. P., "Investigation on the Impact of Different Absorber Materials in Solar Still Using CFD Simulation—Economic and Environmental Analysis", Water, Vol. 14, (2022), 3031. (https://doi.org/10.3390/w14193031).
- Sonawane, C. R., Panchal, H. N., Hoseinzadeh, S., Ghasemi, M. H., Alrubaie, A. J., Sohani, A., "Bibliometric Analysis of Solar Desalination Systems Powered by Solar Energy and CFD Modelled", Energies, Vol. 15, (2022), 5279, (https://doi.org/10.3390/en15145279).
- Panchal, H., Patel, K., Elkelawy, M., Bastawissi, H. A.,"A use of various phase change materials on the performance of solar still: a review", International Journal of Ambient Energy, Vol. 42, (2021), 1575-1580, (https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2019.1594376).
- Palanikumar, G., Sengottain, S., Chithambaram, V., Gorjian, S., Pruncu, C., Essa, F., Kabeel, A. E., Panchal, H., Balasundaram, J., Ebadi, H., Elsheikh, A., Selvaraju, P., "Thermal Investigation of a Solar Box-type Cooker with Nanocomposite Phase Change Materials Using Flexible Thermography", Renewable Energy, Vol. 178, (2021), 260-282. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2021.06.022).
- Saleh, B., Essa, F. A., Aly, A. et al., "Investigating the performance of dish solar distiller with phase change material mixed with Al2O3 nanoparticles under different water depths", Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res., Vol. 29, 28115–28126 (2022), (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-18295-4).
- Felemban, B. F., Essa, F. A., Afzal, A. et al., "Experimental investigation on dish solar distiller with modified absorber and phase change material under various operating conditions", Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res., Vol. 29, 63248–63259, (2022). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-022-20285-z).
- Natarajan, S. K. et al. 2019 IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 312 012020. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/312/1/012020).
- Reddy, K., Kumar, N.S., "Convection and surface radiation heat losses from modified cavity receiver of solar parabolic dish collector with two-stage concentration", Heat Mass Transf., Vol. 45, (2009), 363–373. (https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s00231-008-0440-2).
- Suraparaju, S.K, Sampathkumar, A, Natarajan, S.K., "Experimental and economic analysis of energy storage-based single-slope solar still with hollow-finned absorber basin", Heat Transfer., Vol. 50, (2021), 5516– 5537. (https://doi.org/10.1002/htj.22136).
- Taumoefolau, T., Paitoonsurikarn, S., Hughes, G., Lovegrove, K., "Experimental investigation of natural convection heat loss from a model solar concentrator cavity receiver", J. Sol. Energy Eng., (2021), Vol. 126, 801–807. (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1687403).
- Suraparaju, S.K., Natarajan, S.K., "Productivity enhancement of single-slope solar still with novel bottom finned absorber basin inserted in phase change material (PCM): techno-economic and enviro-economic analysis", Environ Sci Pollut Res., Vol. 28, (2021), 45985–46006. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-13495-4).
- Sampathkumar, A., Natarajan, S.K, "Experimental analysis on single slope solar still by the inclusion of Agar-Agar (Eucheuma) Fibre and micro Phase Change Material for the productivity enhancement", Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 50, (2022), 104284. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2022.104284).
- Suraparaju, S.K., Natarajan, S.K., "Experimental investigation of single-basin solar still using solid staggered fins inserted in paraffin wax PCM bed for enhancing productivity", Environ Sci Pollut Res., Vol. 28, 20330–20343. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-020-11980-w).
- Thakur, A.K., Singh, R., Gehlot, A. et al., "Advancements in solar technologies for sustainable development of agricultural sector in India: a comprehensive review on challenges and opportunities", Environ Sci Pollut Res., Vol. 29, (2022), 43607–43634. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-022-20133-0).
- Senthil, R., Cheralathan, M., "Enhancement of the thermal energy storage capacity of a parabolic dish concentrated solar receiver using phase change materials", J. Energy Storage, Vol. 25, (2019) 100841. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2019.100841).
- Khalil Anwar, M., Yilbas, B.S., Shuja, S.Z., "A thermal battery mimicking a concentrated volumetric solar receiver", Appl. Energy, Vol. 175, (2016), 16–30. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.04.110).
- Yilbasa, B.S., Khalil Anwar, M., "Design of a mobile thermal battery and analysis of thermal characteristics", J. Renew. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 8 , (2016), 024102. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4943662).
- Mazzucco, G., Xott, G., Salomoni, V.A., Majorana, C.E., Giannuzzi, G.M., Miliozzi, A., "Modeling techniques of storage modules with PCM microcapsules: case study", J. Energy Eng., Vol. 144, (2018), 05017005. (https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000501).
- Avargani, V.M., Rahimi, A., Tavakoli, T., "Exergetic optimization and optimum operation of a solar dish collector with a cylindrical receiver", J. Energy Eng., Vol. 142, (2016) 04015049. (https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000322).
- Ren, Y., Qi, H., Shi, J., Chen, Q., Wang, Y., Ruan, L., "Thermal performance characteristics of porous media receiver exposed to concentrated solar radiation", J. Energy Eng., Vol. 143, (2018), 04017013. (https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000448).
- Saleem, U., Aziz, M.S., Waqas, A., Hanif, M.A., "Heat energy transfer using butyl stearate as phase change material for free-cooling applications", J. Energy Eng., Vol. 144, (2018), 04018043. (https://doi.org/10.1061/%28ASCE%29EY.1943-7897.0000562).
- Peiro, G., Gasia, J., Mir, L., Cabeza, L.F., "Experimental evaluation at pilot plant scale of multiple PCM (cascaded) vs. single PCM configuration for thermal energy storage", Renew. Energy , Vol. 83, (2018), 729–736. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.05.029).
- Mawire, A., Lentswe, K.A., Shobo, A., "Performance comparison of four spherically encapsulated phase change materials for medium temperature domestic applications", J. Energy Storage, Vol. 23, (2019), 469–479. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2019.04.007)
- Santhi Rekha, S.M., Sukchai, S., "Design of phase change material based domestic solar cooking system for both indoor and outdoor cooking applications", J. Sol. Energy-Trans. ASME, Vol. 140, (2018), (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4039605).
- Tharun, M., Navin, S.R., Arjun Singh, K., Sampathkumar, A., Natarajan, S.K., "Numerical Comparison of Elliptical and Conical Cavity Receiver of Solar Parabolic Dish Collector System. In: Govindan, K., Kumar, H., Yadav, S. (eds)", Adv. Mech. Mat. Tech. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering. Springer, Singapore, (2022), (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-2794-1_53).
- Kopalakrishnaswami, A.S, Natarajan, S.K., "Comparative study of modified conical cavity receiver with other receivers for solar paraboloidal dish collector system", Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. Vol. 29, (2022), 7548-7558. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-16127-z).
- Singh, A.K & Natarajan, S.K., "Thermal analysis of modified conical cavity receiver for a paraboloidal dish collector system", Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects., Vol. 1, (2021), 121,134, (https://doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2021.2017516).
- Varun, K. & Arunachala, U.C. & Elton, D.N., "Trade-off between wire matrix and twisted tape: SOLTRACE® based indoor study of parabolic trough collector", Renewable Energy, Elsevier, Vol. 156, (2020), 478-492. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2020.04.093).