Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanics and Engineering Graphics, Tambov State Technical University, Tambov, Russia.
Department of Machines and Equipment Engineering Techniques, Al-Mussaib Technical College, Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University, Babil, Iraq.
Department of Technology and Methods of Nanoproducts Manufacturing, Tambov State Technical University, Tambov, Russia.
Researchers worldwide are studying thermal energy storage with phase change materials because of their substantial benefits in the enhancement of energy efficiency of thermal drying systems. A two-stage convective-vacuum impulsive drying plant is a technology for the manufacturing of chemical and food products with high quality and low energy costs. Energy consumption during the drying process is the main indicator in terms of economy. In this paper, a brief and focused review of the peculiarities of TEAs with PPCMs and opportunities of their application in such drying systems is done and discussed. The paper described the mentioned manufacturing system. The advantages of paraffin wax and thermal conductivity improvement techniques were demonstrated for their use as heat storage materials in CVID drying units. The results of similar previous studies were presented. The results of the experimental studies conducted by the researchers proved that the use of heat accumulators with PCMs increased the overall energy efficiency of drying systems. Finally, integration of TEAs based on modified PPCMs in the CVID system was recommended to intensify thermal energy, reduce thermal influence on the main indicators of the vacuum pump during the evacuation process, and decrease production costs.
- Iqbal M J, Akbar M W, Aftab R, Younas I, and Jamil U., “Heat and mass transfer modeling for fruit drying: a review”. MOJ Food Process Technol, Vol. 7, (2019), 69‒73. (https://doi.org/10.15406/mojfpt.2019.07.00222).
- Azzouz S, Hermassi I, Chouikh R, Guizani A, and Belghith A. “The convective drying of grape seeds: Effect of shrinkage on heat and mass transfer”, Journal of Food Process Engineering, Vol. 41, (2018), 1-8. (https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.12614).
- Aktaş M, Şevik S, and Aktekeli B., “Development of heat pump and infrared-convective dryer and performance analysis for stale bread drying” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 113, (2016), 82-94. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.01.028).
- Malakar S, and Arora V.K. “Development of phase change material assisted evacuated tube solar dryer: Investigation of thermal profile, drying characteristics, and functional properties of pumpkin slices”, Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, Vol. 80, (2022), 103109. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2022.103109).
- Srinivasan G, Rabha DK, and Muthukumar P. A, “review on solar dryers integrated with thermal energy storage units for drying agricultural and food products” Solar Energy, Vol. 229, (2021), 22-38. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2021.07.075).
- Bahari M., Najafi B., and Babapoor A., “Evaluation of α-AL2O3-PW nanocomposites for thermal energy storage in the agro-products solar dryer” Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 28, (2020), 101181. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2019.101181).
- Srinivasan G, Rabha DK, and Muthukumar P. A., “A review on solar dryers integrated with thermal energy storage units for drying agricultural and food products”. Solar Energy, Vol. 229, (2021), 22–38. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2021.07.075).
- Ahmadi Mezjani M., Karimi G.R., Medi B., Babapoor A., and Paar M. “Passive Thermal Management of a Lithium-Ion Battery Using Carbon Fiber Loaded Phase Change Material: Comparison and Optimization.” Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (IJCCE), Vol. 41, (2022), 310-327. (https://doi.org/10.30492/ijcce.2020.118203.3862).
- Babapoor A, Azizi M, and Karimi G. “Thermal management of a Li-ion battery using carbon fiber-PCM composites.” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 82, (2015), 281-290. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.02.068).
- Babapoor A., Haghighi AR, Jokar SM, and Ahmadi Mezjin M. “The Performance Enhancement of Paraffin as a PCM During the Solidification Process: Utilization of Graphene and Metal Oxide Nanoparticles.” Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (IJCCE), Vol. 41, (2022), 37-48. (https://doi.org/10.30492/ijcce.2020.127799.4135).
- Nikitin D V., Rodionov Y V., Makhmud M.A.S., Skomorokhova A.I, Pakhomov A.N, and Zorin A.S. “Liquid Ring Vacuum Pumps for Heat and Mass Transfer Processes” Transactions of Tambov State Technical University, No. 3, (2021), 428-441. (https://doi.org/10.17277/vestnik.2021.03.pp.428-441).
- Didone M, and Tosello G., “Potential of impulse drying technology for molded pulp products manufacture”, Progress in Paper Physics Seminar, (2016), 9-15.
- Zubov D.M., and Khamitova L.V. “Grounds for the use of pulse-vacuum wood drying”. (http://www.intermedia-publishing.ru/ENZhM/Zubov_Ground.pdf).
- Zorin A.S, “Improvement of technology and technical means of combined vacuum drying of vegetable raw materials for the production of chips”, Ph.D. dissertation, Tambov State Technical University, (2019).
- Petrovna I.E. Development of technology for the preparation of dry sourdough based on vegetable raw materials for the production of functional bakery products, Ph.D. dissertation, Michurinsk State Agrarian University, (2016).
- Socaciu L., “Thermal energy storage with phase change material”, Leonardo Electronic Journal of Practices and Technologies, No. 20, (2012), 75-98. (http://lejpt.academicdirect.org/A20/075_098.pdf).
- Ibrahim Dincer and Marc A. Rosen. , “Thermal energy storage. Systems and applications”, 2ed. Wiley, (2011), (file:///C:/Users/Mohammed%20Ali/Downloads/1dincer_i_rosen_m_a_thermal_energy_storage_systems_and_applic.pdf).
- Abedin A.H., “A Critical Review of Thermochemical Energy Storage Systems”, The Open Renewable Energy Journal, Vol. 4, (2011),42-46. (https://doi.org/10.2174/1876387101004010042).
- Sarbu I., and Sebarchievici C., “A comprehensive review of thermal energy storage”. Sustainability, Vol. 10, (2018), (https://doi.org/10.3390/su10010191).
- Du K., Calautit J., Wang Z., Wu Y., and Liu H., “A review of the applications of phase change materials in cooling, heating and power generation in different temperature ranges”, Applied Energy, Vol. 220, (2018), 242-773. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.03.005).
- Mondal S. “Phase change materials for smart textiles – An overview”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 28, (2008), 1536-1550. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2007.08.009).
- Morrison D.J., “Effects of phase change energy storage on the performance of air-based and liquid-based solar heating systems”, Solar Energy, No. 1, (1978), 57-67. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-092X(78)90141-X).
- Ghoneim A.A., “Comparison of theoretical models of phase-change and sensible heat storage for air and water-based solar heating systems” Solar Energy, Vol. 42, (1989), 209-220. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-092X(89)90013-3).
- Kumar A, and Shukla S.K., “A Review on Thermal Energy Storage Unit for Solar Thermal Power Plant Application”, Energy Procedia, Vol. 74, (2015), 462-469. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.728).
- Pahamli Y, and Valipour M.S. “Application of Phase Change Materials in Refrigerator and Freezer Appliances: A Comprehensive Review”, Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer Research, Vol. 8, (2021), 87-104. (https://doi.org/10.22075/jhmtr.2021.21860.1316).
- Al-yasiri Q. “Paraffin As a Phase Change Material to Improve Building Performance: An Overview of Applications and Thermal Conductivity Enhancement Techniques. Renewable energy and environmental sustainability”, Vol. 6, (2021), 13. (https://doi.org/10.1051/rees/2021040).
- Hamad A.J. “Energy saving and charging discharging characteristics of multiple PCMS subjected to internal air flow”, Fluids, Vol. 6, (2021), 1-15. (https://doi.org/10.3390/fluids6080275).
- Sharma A., Tyagi V.V., Chen C.R., and Buddhi D., “Review on thermal energy storage with phase change materials and applications”. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, (2009), 318-345. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2007.10.005).
- Wang Q., Wei W., Li D., Qi H., Wang F., and Ar M. “Experimental investigation of thermal radiative properties of Al2O3-paraffin nanofluid”, Vol. 177, (2019), 420-426. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.11.034).
- Zhang G. “Seasonal thermal performance analysis of glazed window filled with paraffin including various nanoparticles”, Energy research, Vol. 44, (2020), 1-12. (https://doi.org/10.1002/er.5129).
- Al-yasiri Q, Szabó M, and Arıcı M. “Single and Hybrid Nanofluids to Enhance Performance of Flat Plate Solar Collectors: Application and Obstacles”, Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 65, (2021), 86 -102. (https://doi.org/10.3311/PPme.17312).
- Sundar L.S., Sharma K.V., Singh M.K., and Sousa A.C.M. “Hybrid nanofluids preparation, thermal properties, heat transfer and friction factor – A review”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 68, (2017), 185-98. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.09.108).
- Mohammad Reza Safaei, Hamid Reza Goshayeshi and Issa Chaer, “Solar Still Efficiency Enhancement by Using Graphene Oxide/Paraffin Nano-PCM”, Vol. 12, (2019),1-13. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en12102002).
- Kenisarin M, Mahkamov K, Kahwash F, and Makhkamova I. “Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells Enhancing thermal conductivity of paraffin wax 53 – 57 °C using expanded graphite”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 200, (2019), 110026, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2019.110026).
- Zhang M., Wang C., Luo A., Liu Z., and Zhang X. “Molecular dynamics simulation on thermophysics of paraffin/EVA/graphene nanocomposites as phase change materials”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 166, (2020), 114639. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.114639).
- Karthik M., Faik A., Bruno D'Aguannoac., “Graphite foam as interpenetrating matrices for phase change paraffin wax: A candidate composite for low temperature thermal energy storage”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 172, (2017), 324-344. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2017.08.004).
- Qureshi Z.A., Ali H.M., and Khushnood S. “Recent advances on thermal conductivity enhancement of phase change materials for energy storage system: A review”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 127, (2018), 838-56. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.08.049).
- Tauseef-ur- Rehman, and Hafiz Muhammad Ali., “Experimental investigation on paraffin wax integrated with copper foam based heat sinks for electronic components thermal cooling. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 98, (2018), 155-162. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2018.08.003).
- Xiao X., Zhang P., and Li M. “Preparation and thermal characterization of paraffin / metal foam composite phase change material”, Applied Energy, Vol. 112, (2013), 1357-1366. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.04.050).
- Shehzad S.A., Alshuraiaan B., Saad M., and Izadi M. “Influence of fin orientation on the natural convection of aqueous-based nano-encapsulated PCMs in a heat exchanger equipped with wing-like fins”, Chemical Engineering and Processing - Process Intensification, Vol. 160, (2021),108287. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2020.108287).
- Zayed M.E., Zhao J., Li. W., Elsheikh A.H., Mohamed A., Jing L, et al. “Recent progress in phase change materials storage containers: Geometries, design considerations and heat transfer improvement methods”, Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 30, (2020), 101341. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2020.101341).
- Wu J., Chen Q., Zhang Y., and Sun K. “Phase change material heat transfer enhancement in latent heat thermal energy storage unit with single fin: Comprehensive effect of position and length”, Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 42, (2021),103101. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2021.103101).
- Poonia S., Singh A.K., and Jain D., “Performance evaluation of phase change material (PCM) based hybrid photovoltaic/thermal solar dryer for drying arid fruits”, Materials Today: Proceeding, Vol. 52, (2022), 1302-1308. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.11.058).
- Mahdavi Nejad A., “Enhancement of drying of paper with phase change material: A numerical study”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 149, (2020), 119169. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.119169).
- Bhardwaj A.K., Kumar R., Kumar S., Goel B., and Chauhan R. “Energy and exergy analyses of drying medicinal herb in a novel forced convection solar dryer integrated with SHSM and PCM”, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Vol. 45, (2021), 101119. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2021.101119).
- Rodionov Yury, Shchegolkov Alexander, Nikitin Dmitry, and Zorin A.S., “Application of Nanomodified Heat-Accumulating Materials in Plant Drying Systems”. Science in Central Russia, Vol. 1, (2020), 43-50. (https://doi.org/10.35887/2305-2538-2020-1-43-50).
- Zorin A.S. , Ivanova I.V. , Nikitin D.V. , Rodionov Y.V. Shchegolkov A.V., “Energy-efficient convective vacuum impulse dryer with heat accumulators”, RF patent, №. 2019106971, Byull. №. 7, (2019).