Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
A full three-dimensional, single phase computational fluid dynamics model of a proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) with both the gas distribution flow channels and the Membrane Electrode Assembly (MEA) has been developed. A single set of conservation equations which are valid for the flow channels, gas-diffusion electrodes, catalyst layers, and the membrane region are developed and numerically solved using a finite volume based computational fluid dynamics technique. In this research some parameters such as oxygen consumption, water production, temperature distribution, ohmic losses, anode water activity, cathode over potential and the fuel cell performance for straight single cell were investigated in more details. The numerical simulations reveal that these important operating parameters are highly dependent to each other and the fuel cell efficiency is affected by the kind of species distribution. So for especial uses in desirable voltages, for preventing from the unwilling losses, these numerical results can be useful. Finally the numerical results of proposed CFD model have been compared with the published experimental data that represent good agreement.
- Arasti M.R., Bagheri Moghaddam N. Use of technology mapping in identification of fuel cell sub-technologies. Int J Hydrogen Energ, 2010, 35, 9516–9525.
- Sadeghzadeh K., Salehi M.B. Mathematical analysis of fuel cell strategic technologies development solutions in the automotive industry by the TOPSIS multi-criteria decision making method. Int J Hydrogen Energ, 2011, 36, 13272–13280.
- Zaidi S.M.J., Rahman S.U., Zaidi H.H. R&D activities of fuel cell research at KFUPM, Desalination. 2007, 209, 319–327.
- Ashraf Khorasani M.R., Asghari S., Mokmeli A., Shahsamandi M.H., Faghih Imani B. A diagnosis method for identification of the defected cell(s) in the PEM fuel cells. Int J Hydrogen Energ,2010, 35, 9269–9275.
- Costamagna P., Srinivasan S. Quantum jumps in the PEMFC science and technology from the 1960s to the year 2000: part I. Fundamental scientific aspects. J Power Sources, 2001, 102, 242–252.
- Rismanchi B., Akbari M.H. Performance prediction of proton exchange membrane fuel cells using a three-dimensional model. Int J Hydrogen Energ, 2008, 33, 439–448.
- Akbari M.H., Rismanchi B. Numerical investigation of flow field configuration and contact resistance for PEM fuel cell performance. Renewable Energ, 2008, 33, 1775–1783.
- Khajeh-Hosseini-Dalasm N., Kermani M.J., Moghaddam D.G., Stockie J.M. A parametric study of cathode catalyst layer structural parameters on the performance of a PEM fuel cell. Int J Hydrogen Energ, 2010, 35, 2417–2427.
- Mokmeli A., Asghari S. An investigation into the effect of anode purging on the fuel cell performance. Int J Hydrogen Energ,2010, 35, 9276–9282.
- Jang J.-H., Yan W.-M., Shih C.-C. Numerical study of reactant gas transport phenomena and cell performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cells. J Power Sources, 2006, 156, 244–252.
- Hontañón E., Escudero M.J., Bautista C., García-Ybarra P.L., Daza L. Optimisation of flow-field in polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells using computational fluid dynamics techniques.J Power Sources, 2000, 86, 363–368.
- Yan W.-M., Li H.-Y., Chiu P.-C., Wang X.-D. Effects of serpentine flow field with outlet channel contraction on cell performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cells. J Power Sources, 2008, 178, 174–180.
- Bernardi D.M., Verbrugge M.W. Mathematical Model of a Gas Dissusion Electrode Bonded to a Polymer Electrolyte. AIChE J, 1991, 37(8):1151–1163.
- Bernardi D.M., Verbrugge M.W. A Mathematical Model of the Solid- Polymer-Electrolyte Fuel Cell. J Electrochem Soc, 1992, 139(9):2477–2491.
- Fuller T. F., Newman J. Water and Thermal Managament in Solid-Polymer-Electrolyte Fuel Cells. J Electrochem Soc, 1993, 140(5):1218–1225.
- Nguyen T.V., White R.E. Water and heat management model for proton-exchange-embrane fuel cells. J Electrochem Soc, 1993, 140, 2178–2186.
- Baschuk J.J., Li X. Modelling of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells with variable degrees of water ‡ooding. J Power Sources, 2000, 86:181–195.
- Gurau V., Liu H., Kakac S. “Two-Dimensional Model for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells”. AIChE J. 1998, 44(11):2410–2422.
- Dutta S., Shimpalee S., Van Zee J.W. Numerical prediction of mass-exchange between cathode and anode channels in a PEM fuel cell. Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 2001, 44, 2029–2042.
- Rezazadeh S., Mehrabi M., Pashaee T., Mirzaee I. Using adaptive neuro-fuzzy nference system (ANFIS) for proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) performance modeling. JMechanical Sci Technol, 2012, 26(11), 3701~3709.
- Pourmahmoud N., Rezazadeh S., Mirzaee1 I, Motaleb F.S. A computational study of a three-dimensional proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) with conventional and deflected membrane electrode assembly. J Mechanical Sci Technol, 26 (9) (2012) 2959~2968.
- Wang L., Husar A., Zhou T., Liu H. Int J Hydrogen Energ, 2003, 28(11), 1263-1272.