Document Type : Research Article
Department of Biosystems Engineering, Factuly of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modares University (TMU), P. O. Box: 14115-111, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Energy System Engineering, Factuly of Mechanical Engineering, K. N. Toosi University of Technology, P. O. Box: 19395-1999, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
In this study, the effect of covering the aperture area of a conical cavity receiver with an ultra-white glass on operational parameters of a Parabolic Dish Collector (PDC) was numerically and experimentally investigated under climate conditions of Tehran (35.44° N latitude and 51.10° longitude). The main components of the experimental setup include a dish reflector, a conical cavity receiver, Heat Transfer Fluid (HTF), hydraulic and cooling cycle, and a sun tracker. For this purpose, a conical cavity receiver with an ultra-white glass cover on its aperture was numerically modeled in Fortran software. During the evaluation, environmental parameters including ambient temperature, solar radiation, and wind speed were considered as inputs of the model. The results revealed fair agreement between the numerical and experimental data with the maximum error of approximately 4.63 % and 7.89 % for receivers with and without the glass cover on the aperture, respectively. For a steady-state analysis, the mean values of useful energy ( ) absorbed by the receiver were calculated as 1,253.25 W and 987.68 W, while thermal efficiency ( ) of the receiver was calculated as 52.61 % and 40.69 % for receivers with and without glass cover, respectively. The results revealed that both and followed a similar trend of the variations in the HTF’s temperature between the inlet and outlet of the receiver. Also, the overall heat loss coefficient ( ) and the collector heat removal factor ( ) were calculated as 420.76 W/m2°C and 0.62 for the conical cavity receiver with the glass cover.
- Gorjian, Sh., Nemat-Zadeh, B., Eltrop, R.R. Shamshiri, L. and Amanlou, Y., "Solar photovoltaic power generation in Iran: Development, policies, and barriers", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 106, (2019), 110-123. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2019.02.025).
- Gorjian, Sh. and Ghobadian, B., "Solar desalination: A sustainable solution to water crisis in Iran", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 48, (2015), 571-584. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.04.009).
- Gorjian, Sh., Ghobadian, B., Ebadi, H., Ketabchi, F. and Khanmohammadi, S., "Applications of solar PV systems in desalination technologies", Photovoltaic solar energy conversion, Elsevier, Iran, (2020), 237-274. (https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-819610-6.00008-9)
- Sharon, H., Reddy, K.S. and Gorjian, Sh., "Parametric investigation and year round performance of a novel passive multi-chamber vertical solar diffusion still: Energy, exergy and enviro-economic aspects", Solar Energy, Vol. 211, (2020), 831-846. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.10.016).
- Hosseini, A., Banakar, A. and Gorjian, Sh., "Development and performance evaluation of an active solar distillation system integrated with a vacuum-type heat exchanger", Desalination, Vol. 435, (2017), 45-59. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2017.12.031).
- Gorjian, Sh., Ebadi, H., Calise, F., Shukla, A. and Ingrao, C., "A review on recent advancements in performance enhancement techniques for low-temperature solar collectors", Energy Conversion Management, Vol. 222, (2020a), 113246. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2020.113246).
- Gorjian, Sh., Ghobadian, B., Tavakkoli-Hashjin, T. and Banakar, A., "Experimental performance evaluation of a stand-alone point-focus parabolic solar still", Desalination, Vol. 352, (2014), 1-17. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2014.08.005).
- Gorjian, Sh. and Ghobadian, B., "Solar thermal power plants: Progress and prospects in Iran", Energy Procedia, Vol. 75, (2015), 533-539. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.447).
- Madadi, V., Tavakoli, T. and Rahimi, A., "Estimation of heat loss from a cylindrical cavity receiver based on simultaneous energy and exergy analyses", Journal of Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Vol. 40, No. 1, (2015), 49-61. (https://doi.org/10.1515/jnet-2014-0029).
- Gorjian, Sh., Tavakkoli-Hashjin, T., Ghobadian, B. and Banakar, A., "A thermal performance evaluation of a medium-temperature point-focus solar collector using local weather data and artificial neural networks", International Journal of Green Energy, Vol. 12, No. 5, (2015), 493-505. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15435075.2013.848405).
- Arkian, A.H., Najafi, G.H., Gorjian, Sh., Loni, R., Bellos, E. and Yusaf, T., "Performance assessment of a solar dryer system using small parabolic dish and alumina/oil nanofluid: Simulation and experimental study", Energies, Vol. 12, No. 24, (2019), 4747. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en12244747).
- Loni, R., Askari-Asli-Ardeh, E., Ghobadian, B., Kasaeian, A.B. and Gorjian, Sh., "Thermodynamic analysis of a solar dish receiver using different nanofluids", Energy, Vol. 133, (2017), 749-760. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.05.016).
- Pavlovic, S., Daabo, A.M., Bellos, E., Stefanovic, V., Mahmoud, S. and Al-Dadah, R.K., "Experimental and numerical investigation on the optical and thermal performance of solar parabolic dish and corrugated spiral cavity receiver", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 150, (2017), 75-92. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.02.201).
- Li, X., Dai, Y.J. and Wang, R.Z., "Performance investigation on solar thermal conversion of a conical cavity receiver employing a beam-down solar tower concentrator", Solar Energy, Vol. 114, (2015), 134-151. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2015.01.033).
- Abdulrazzaq Alhsani, Z.I. and Al-Dulaimi, R.K.M., "Experimental analysis of solar dish concentrators with cylindrical, oval, and conical cavity receivers", International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 10, (2020), 591-600. (https://ijrer.org/ijrer/index.php/ijrer/article/view/10594)
- Pavlovic, S., Loni, R., Bellos, E., Vasiljević, D., Najafi, G. and Kasaeian, A., "Comparative study of spiral and conical cavity receivers for a solar dish collector", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 178, (2018), 111-122. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2018.10.030).
- Daabo, A.M., Mahmoud, S. and Al-Dadah, R.K., "The optical efficiency of three different geometries of a small scale cavity receiver for concentrated solar applications", Applied Energy, Vol. 179, (2016), 1081-1096. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.07.064).
- Daabo, A.M., Mahmoud, S., Al-Dadah, R.K. and Ahmad, A., "Numerical investigation of pitch value on thermal performance of solar receiver for solar powered Brayton cycle application", Energy, Vol. 119, (2017), 523-539. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.12.085).
- Daabo, A.M., Ahmad, A., Mahmoud, S. and Al-Dadah, R.K., "Parametric analysis of small scale cavity receiver with optimum shape for solar powered closed Brayton cycle applications", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 122, (2017), 626-641. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.03.093).
- Azzouzi, D., Boumeddane, B. and Abene, A., "Experimental and analytical thermal analysis of cylindrical cavity receiver for solar dish", Renewable Energy, Vol. 106, (2017), 111-121. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.12.102).
- Loni, R., Kasaeian, A.B., Askari-Asli-Ardeh, E., Ghobadian, B. and Gorjian, Sh., "Experimental and numerical study on dish concentrator with cubical and cylindrical cavity receivers using thermal oil", Energy, Vol. 154, (2018), 168-181. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.04.102).
- Singh, A.K. and Natarajan, S.K., "Comparative study of modified conical cavity receiver with other receivers for solar paraboloidal dish collector system", Research Square, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-237950/v1).
- Yuan, Y., Xiaojie, L., Ziming, C., Fuqiang, W., Yong, S. and Heping, T., "Experimental investigation of thermal performance enhancement of cavity receiver with bottom surface interior convex", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 168, (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.114847).
- Bopche, S., Rana, K. and Kumar, V., "Performance improvement of a modified cavity receiver for parabolic dish concentrator at medium and high heat concentration", Solar Energy, Vol. 209, (2020), 57-78. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.08.089).
- Bellos, E., Bousi, E., Tzivanidis, C. and Pavlovic, S., "Optical and thermal analysis of different cavity receiver designs for solar dish concentrators", Energy Conversion and Management: X, Vol. 2, (2019), 100013. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecmx.2019.100013).
- Soltani, S., Bonyadi, M. and Madadi-Avargani, V., "A novel optical-thermal modeling of a parabolic dish collector with a helically baffled cylindrical cavity receiver", Energy, Vol. 168, (2019), 88-98. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.11.097).
- Thirunavukkarasu, V. and Cheralathan, M., "An experimental study on energy and exergy performance of a spiral tube receiver for solar parabolic dish concentrator", Energy, Vol. 192, (2020), 116635. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.116635).
- Wang, H., Huang, J., Song, M. and Yan, J., "Effects of receiver parameters on the optical performance of a fixed-focus Fresnel lens solar concentrator/cavity receiver system in solar cooker", Applied Energy, Vol. 237, (2019), 70-82. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.12.092).
- Al-Dulaimi, R.K.M., "Experimental investigation of the receiver of a solar thermal dish collector with a dual layer, staggered tube arrangement, and multiscale diameter", Energy Exploration and Exploitation, Vol. 38, No. 4, (2020), 1212-1227. (https://doi.org/10.1177/0144598719900658).
- Loni, R., Askari-Asli-Ardeh, E., Ghobadian, B., Kasaeian, A.B., Gorjian, Sh, Najafi, G. and Evangelos, B., "Research and review study of solar dish concentrators with different nanofluids and different shapes of cavity receiver: Experimental tests", Renewable Energy, Vol. 145, (2020), 783-804. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.06.056).
- Gavagnin, G., Sánchez, D., Martínez, G.S., Rodríguez, J.M. and Muñoz, A., "Cost analysis of solar thermal power generators based on parabolic dish and micro gas turbine: Manufacturing, transportation and installation", Applied Energy, Vol. 194, (2017), 108-122. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.02.052).
- Pathak, A., Deshpande, K., Kurhe, N., Baste, P. and Jadkar, S., "Comfort cooling application using fixed focus solar parabolic dish concentrator integrated with double effect vapor absorption Machine", International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 3, (2018), 1875-1880. (https://www.irjet.net/archives/V5/i3/IRJET-V5I3424.pdf).
- Xie, W.T., Dai, Y.J. and Wang, R.Z., "Numerical and experimental analysis of a point focus solar collector using high concentration imaging PMMA Fresnel lens", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 52, No. 6, (2011), 2417-2426. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.12.048).
- Çengel, Y.A. and Ghajar, A.J., Heat and mass transfer: Fundamentals and applications, McGraw Hill, Turkey, (2007), 432-522. (https://www.mheducation.com).
- ROCKWOOL stone wool insulation. (https://www.rockwool.com/group/).
- Kirkup, L. and Frenkel, B., An introduction to unceratinty measurement using the GUM, Calculation of unceratinty, Cambridge University Press, Sydney, (2006), 97-125. (https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511755538).
- Yang S.M. and Tao, W.Q.B.Z., Heat transfer, Higher Education Press, (2000). (https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-third-Higher-Education-Chinese/dp/7040066939).
- Jilte, R.D., Kedare, S.B. and Nayak, J.K., "Investigation on convective heat losses from solar cavities under wind conditions", Energy Procedia, Vol. 57, (2014), 437-446. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.10.197).
- Prakash, M., Kedare, S.B. and Nayak, J.K., "Investigations on heat losses from a solar cavity receiver", Solar Energy, Vol. 83, No. 2, (2009), 150-170. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2008.07.011).
- Jilte, R.D., Kedare, S.B. and Nayak, J.K., "Natural convection and radiation heat loss from open cavities of different shapes and sizes used with dish concentrator", Mechanical Engineering Research, Vol. 3, No. 1, (2013), 25-43. (https://doi.org/10.5539/mer.v3n1p25).
- Mawire, A. and Taole, S.H., "Experimental energy and exergy performance of a solar receiver for a domestic parabolic dish concentrator for teaching purposes", Energy for Sustainable Development, Vol. 19, (2014), 162-169. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2014.01.004).