Document Type : Research Article
Faculty of Engineering, Shahid Beheshti University, P. O. Box: 1983969411, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Buin Zahra Higher Education Center of Engineering and Technology, Imam Khomeini International University, P. O. Box: 3451745346, Qazvin, Qazvin, Iran.
Radiation Application Department, Shahid Beheshti University, P. O. Box: 1983969411, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
The performance characteristics of InGaN Double-Quantum-Well (DQW) Laser Diodes (LDs) with different barrier structures were studied numerically by Integrated System Engineering Technical Computer-Aided Design (ISE TCAD) software. Three different kinds of structures of barriers including quaternary AlInGaN and AlInGaN/AlGaN superlattice barriers were used and compared with conventional GaN in InGaN-based laser diodes. Replacing the traditional GaN barriers with quaternary AlInGaN increased holes and electrons flowing in the active region and thus, the radiative recombination enhanced the output power. However, it did not reduce the threshold current due to hole and electron overflowing. To investigate the ways of greatly reducing the threshold current, the structure consisting of AlInGaN/AlGaN superlattice barriers was proposed. The simulation showed that electrical and optical characteristics such as output power, Differential Quantum Efficiency (DQE), and slop efficiency were significantly enhanced for LDs containing superlattice barriers compared to the basic structure. This is while the threshold current was considerably reduced. The enhancement was mainly attributed to the improvement of hole injection and also the blocking hole and electron overflowing caused by the reduction of polarization charges at the interface between the barriers, the well, and the Electron Blocking Layer (EBL).
- Ohta, H., DenBaars, S.P. and Nakamura, S., "Future of group-III nitride semiconductor green laser diodes", Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 27, No. 11, (2010), B45-B49. (https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAB.27.000B45).
- Huang, C.-Y., Lin, Y.-D., Tyagi, A., Chakraborty, A., Ohta, H., Speck, J.S., DenBaars, S.P. and Nakamura, Sh., "Optical waveguide simulations for the optimization of InGaN-based green laser diodes", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 107, No. 2, (2010), 023101-023107. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3275325).
- Nakamura, Sh., Senoh, M., Nagahama, S.-I., Iwasa, N., Matsushita, T. and Mukai, T., "Blue InGaN-based laser diodes with an emission wavelength of 450 nm", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 76, No. 1, (2000), 22-24. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.125643).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., Aghajani, H., Mahmodi, H., Rahmani, R. and Hassan, Z., "Analytical and visual modeling of InGaN/GaN single quantum well laser based on rate equations", Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 44, No. 1, (2012), 12-20. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2011.05.003).
- Zhang, Y., Li, P.L., Nie, P.L. and Wu, Y.X., "Effect of ultra-rapid cooling on microstructure of laser cladding IN718 coating", Surface Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 6, (2013), 414-418. (https://doi.org/10.1179/1743294413Y.0000000142).
- Cheng, L., Li, Z., Zhang, J., Lin, X., Yang, D., Chen, H., Wu, S. and Yao, S., "Advantages of InGaN–GaN–InGaN delta barriers for InGaN-based laser diodes", Nanomaterials, Vol. 11, No. 8, (2021), 2070. (https://doi.org/10.3390/nano11082070).
- Ghazai, A.J., Thahab, S.M., Abu Hassan, H. and Hassan, Z., "A study of the operating parameters and barrier thickness of Al0.08In0.08Ga0.84N/AlxInyGa1-x-yN double quantum well laser diodes-Alaa", Science China Technological Sciences, Vol. 54, No. 1, (2011), 47-51. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-010-4183-1).
- Usman, M., Mushtaq, U., Zheng, D.-G., Han, D.-P., Rafiq, M. and Muhammad, N., "Enhanced internal quantum efficiency of bandgap-engineered green W-shaped quantum well light-emitting diode", Applied Science, Vol. 9, No. 1, (2019), 77. (https://doi.org/10.3390/app9010077).
- Xiong, J.-Y., Zhao, F., Fan, G.-H., Xu, Y.-Q., Liu, X.-P., Song, J.-J., Ding, B.-B., Zhang, T. and Zheng, S.-W., "Efficiency enhancement of an InGaN light-emitting diode with a p-AlGaN/GaN superlattice last quantum barrier", Chinese Physics B, Vol. 22, No. 11, (2013), 118504. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1674-1056/22/11/118504).
- Hansen, M., Piprek, J., Pattison, P.M., Speck, J.S., Nakamura, S. and DenBaars, S.P., "Higher efficiency InGaN laser diodes with an improved quantum well capping configuration", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, No. 22, (2002), 4275-4277. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1524690).
- Kuo, Y.-K., Chen, F.-M., Chang, J.-Y., Huang, M.-F., Liou, B.-T. and Shih, Y.-H., "Design and optimization of electron-blocking layer in deep ultraviolet light-emitting diodes", IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 1, (2020), 1-6. (https://doi.org/10.1109/JQE.2019.2957575).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., Amirhoseiny, M. and Hassan, Z., "Effect of different EBL structures on deep violet InGaN laser diodes performance", Optics and Laser Technology, Vol. 76, (2016), 106-112. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2015.08.007).
- Paliwal, A., Singh, K. and Mathew, M., "Strain-free GaN/InAlN chirped short-period superlattice electron-blocking layer for 450 nm InGaN laser diode", Laser Physics, Vol. 29, No. 5, (2019), 056204. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1555-6611/ab05be).
- Paliwal, A., Singh, K. and Mathew, M., "Effects of electron blocking layer configuration on the dynamics of laser diodes emitting at 450 nm", Laser Physics, Vol. 30, No. 1, (2020), 016210. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1555-6611/ab5587).
- Park, S.-H., Kim, H.-M. and Ahn, D., "Optical gain in GaN quantum well lasers with quaternary AlInGaN Barriers", Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 44, No. 10R, (2005), 7460. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1555-6611/ab5587).
- Asif Khan, M., Yang, J.W. and Simin, G., "Lattice and energy band engineering in AlInGaN/GaN heterostructures", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 76, (2000), 1161. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.125970).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., Hassan, Z., Thahab, S.M., Amirhoseiny, M. and Naderi, N., "Comparative study of the performance characteristics of green InGaN SQW laser diodes with ternary AlGaN and quaternary AlInGaN electron blocking layer", Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, Vol. 7, No. 4, (2012), 1869-1880. (https://chalcogen.ro/index.php/journals/digest-journal-of-nanomaterials-and-biostructures/8-djnb/29-volume-7-number-4-october-december-2012), (Accessed: 4 February 2022).
- Schubert, M.F., Xu, J., Kim, J.K., Schubert, E.F., Kim, M.H., Yoon, S., Lee, S.M., Sone, Ch., Sakong, T. and Park, Y., "Polarization-matched GaInN/AlGaInN multi-quantum-well light-emitting diodes with reduced efficiency droop", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 93, (2008), 041102. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2963029).
- Usman, M., Munsif, M. and Anwar, A.-R., "Wedge-shaped electron blocking layer to improve hole transport and efficiency in green light-emitting diodes", Optics Communications, Vol. 464, (2020), 125493. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2963029).
- Usman, M., Munsif, M., Anwar, A.-R., Jamal, H., Malik, Sh. and Islam, N.U., "Quantum efficiency enhancement by employing specially designed AlGaN electron blocking layer", Superlattices and Microstructures, Vol. 139, (2020), 106417. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spmi.2020.106417).
- Yang, W., Li, D., He, J. and Hu, X., "Advantage of tapered and graded AlGaN electron blocking layer in InGaN‐based blue laser diodes", Physics Status Solidi C, Vol. 10, No. 3, (2013), 346-349. (https://doi.org/10.1002/pssc.201200637).
- Tzou, A.-J., Lin, D.-W., Yu, C.-R., Li, Z.-Y., Liao, Y.-K., Lin, B.-C., Huang, J.-K., Lin, C.-C., Kao, T. S., Kuo, H.-C. and Chang, C.-Y., "High-performance InGaN-based green light-emitting diodes with quaternary InAlGaN/GaN superlattice electron blocking layer", Optics Express, Vol. 24, No. 11, (2016), 11387-11395. (https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.24.011387).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., Hassan, Z., Thahab, S.M., Yam, F.K. and Ghazai, A.J., "Numerical study of performance characteristics of deep violet InGaN DQW laser diodes with AlInGaN quaternary multi-quantum barrier electron blocking layer," Optik, Vol. 124, No. 24, (2013), 6765-6768. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.05.080).
- Xiong, J.-Y., Xu, Y.-Q., Zheng, S.W., Zhao, F., Ding, B.-B., Song, J.-J., Yu, X.-P., Zhang, T. and Fan, G.-H., "Advantages of GaN-based light-emitting diodes with p-AlGaN/InGaN superlattice last quantum barrier", Optics Communications, Vol. 312, (2013), 85-88. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2013.08.053).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., Hassan, Z., Thahab, S.M., Yam, F.K. and Ghazai, A.J., "Performance characteristics of deep violet InGaN DQW laser diodes with InGaN/GaN superlattice waveguide layers", Optik, Vol. 125, No. 1, (2014), 341-344. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.06.059).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., Hassan, Z. and Yam, F.K., "Improvement of the performance characteristics of deep violet InGaN multiquantum-well laser diodes using step-graded electron blocking layers and a delta barrier", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 113, (2013), 123108. (https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4798388).
- Alahyarizadeh, Gh., "Improved performance characteristics of violet InGaN MQW LDs through asymmetric W-shaped quantum wells", Physics E, Vol. 127, (2021), 114570. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physe.2020.114570).