Document Type : Research Article
Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Razi University, P. O. Box: 67144-14971, Kermanshah, Kermanshah, Iran.
Over the past decades, power engineers have begun to connect power grids to other networks such as microgrids associated with renewable units using long transmission lines to provide higher reliability and greater efficiency in production and distribution besides saving resources. However, many dynamic problems such as low frequency oscillations were observed as a result of these connections. Low frequency oscillation is a normal phenomenon in most power systems that causes perturbations and, thus, the grid stability and damping process are of paramount importance. In this paper, to attenuate these oscillations, a novel method for designing Power System Stabilizer (PSS) is presented via Linear Parameter-Varying (LPV) approach for a Single Machine Infinite Bus system (SMIB). Because the system under study is subject to frequent load and production changes, designing the stabilizer based on the nominal model may not yield the desired performance. To guarantee the flexibility of the stabilizer with respect to the aforementioned issues, the power system polytopic representation is used. In order to apply the new method, the nonlinear equations of the system at each operating point, located in a polytope, are parametrically linearized by scheduling variables. Scheduling variables can be measured online in any operating point. By using this model and following the H∞ synthesis, feedback theories, and Linear Matrix Inequalities (LMIs), LPV controllers at all operating points are obtained. Finally, the simulation results verify the effectiveness of the proposed controller over classic and robust controllers with regard to uncertainties and changes in system conditions.
- Kundur, P., Balu, N.J. and Lauby, M.G., Power system stability and control, Vol. 7, McGraw-Hill, New York, (1994). (http://dl.poweren.ir/downloads/PowerEn/Book/2019/Jun/Power%20System%20Stability%20and%20Control%20-%20Prabha%20Kundur%20%28PowerEn.ir%29.pdf).
- Wang, S.K., "Coordinated parameter design of power system stabilizers and static synchronous compensator using gradual hybrid differential evaluation", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 81, (2016), 165-174. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.02.016).
- Dey, P., Bhattacharya, A. and Das, P., "Tuning of power system stabilizer for small signal stability improvement of interconnected power system", Applied Computing and Informatics, Vol. 16, (2017), 3-28. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aci.2017.12.004).
- Jin, T., Liu, S., Flesch, R.C. and Su, W., "A method for the identification of low frequency oscillation modes in power systems subjected to noise", Applied Energy, Vol. 206, (2017), 1379-1392. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.09.123).
- Eltag, K., Aslamx, M.S. and Ullah, R., "Dynamic stability enhancement using fuzzy PID control technology for power system", International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 17, (2019), 234-242. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-018-0109-7).
- Suzuki, K., Kobayashi, J., Otani, T. and Iwamoto, S., "A multi-input lead-lag power system stabilizer with H∞ control performance", Proceedings of 2015 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies-Asia (ISGT ASIA), Bangkok, Thailand, (2015), 1-6. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ISGT-Asia.2015.7387023).
- Abido, M.A., "A novel approach to conventional power system stabilizer design using tabu search", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 21, No. 6, (1999), 443-454. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615 (99)00004-6).
- Farahani, M. and Ganjefar, S., "Intelligent power system stabilizer design using adaptive fuzzy sliding mode controller", Neurocomputing, Vol. 226, (2017), 135-144. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2016.11.043).
- Bouchama, Z. and Harmas, M.N., "Optimal robust adaptive fuzzy synergetic power system stabilizer design", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 83, No. 1, (2012), 170-175. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2011.11.003).
- Guesmi, T. and Alshammari, B.M., "An improved artificial bee colony algorithm for robust design of power system stabilizers", Engineering Computations, Vol. 34, No. 7, (2017), 2131-2153. (https://doi.org/10.1108/EC-12-2016-0459).
- Sambariya, D.K. and Prasad, R., "Robust power system stabilizer design for single machine infinite bus system with different membership functions for fuzzy logic controller", Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Control (ISCO), Coimbatore, India, (2013). (https://doi.org/10.1109/ISCO.2013.6481115).
- Milla, F. and Duarte-Mermoud, M.A., "Predictive optimized adaptive PSS in a single machine infinite bus", ISA Transactions, Vol. 63, (2016), 315-327. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isatra.2016.02.018).
- Farhad, Z., Eke, H., Tezcan, S. and Safı, S., "A robust PID power system stabilizer design of single machine infinite bus system using firefly algorithm", Gazi University Journal of Science, Vol. 31, No. 1, (2018), 155-172. (https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/gujs/issue/35772/346118).
- Khawaja, A.W., Kamari, N.A.M. and Zainuri, M.A.A.M., "Design of a damping controller using the SCA optimization technique for the improvement of small signal stability of a single machine connected to an infinite bus system", Energies, Vol. 14, No. 11, (2021), 2996. (https://doi.org/10.3390/en14112996).
- Kadir, N. and Ruswandi Djalal, M., "Optimal design PSS-PID control on single machine infinite bus using ANT COLONY optimization", SINERGI, Vol. 25, No. 2, (2021), 169-176. (http://doi.org/10.22441/sinergi.2021.2.008).
- Bolinger, K., Laha, A., Hamilton, R. and Harras, T., "Power stabilizer design using root locus methods", IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 94, No. 5, (1975), 1484-1488. (https://doi.org/10.1109/T-PAS.1975.31990).
- Gibbard, M.J., "Robust design of fixed-parameter power system stabilizers over a wide range of operating conditions", IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 6, No. 2, (1991), 794-800. (https://doi.org/10.1109/59.76727).
- Abido, M.A., "Optimal design of power-system stabilizers using particle swarm optimization", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 17, No. 3, (2002), 406-413. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.801992).
- Bandal, V. and Bandyopadhyay, B., "Robust decentralised output feedback sliding mode control technique-based power system stabilizer (PSS) for multimachine power system", IET Control Theory Applications, Vol. 1, (2007), 1512-1522. (https://doi.org10.1049/iet-cta:20060393).
- El-Metwally, K.A., "An adaptive fuzzy logic controller for a two area load frequency control problem", Proceedings of 12th International Middle-East Power System Conference, Aswan, Egypt, (2008), 300-306. (https://doi.org/10.1109/MEPCON.2008.4562327).
- Shakarami, M.R. and Davoudkhani, I.F., "Wide-area power system stabilizer design based on grey wolf optimization algorithm considering the time delay", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 133, (2016), 149-159. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2015.12.019).
- Hemmati, R., "Power system stabilizer design based on optimal model reference adaptive system", Ain Shams Engineering Journal, Vol. 9, No. 2, (2018), 311-318. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2016.03.002).
- Kashani, M., Alfi, A. and Arabkoohsar, A., "Optimal robust control scheme to enhance power system oscillations damping via STATCOM", 2020 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies (SEST), Istanbul, Turkey, (2020), 1-6. (https://doi.org/10.1109/SEST48500.2020.9203361).
- Guesmi, T., Farah, A., Abdallah, H.H. and Ouali, A., "Robust design of multi-machine power system stabilizers based on improved non-dominated sorting genetic algorithms", Electrical Engineering, Vol. 100, (2018), 1351-1363. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00202-017-0589-0).
- Nogueira, F.G., Barra Jr, W., da Costa Jr, C.T., Barreiros, J.A. and de Lana, J.J., "Design and experimental tests of an LPV power system stabilizer on a 10kVA small-scale generating unit", IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 48, No. 26, (2015), 236-241. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2015.11.143).
- Jabali, M.B.A. and Kazemi, M.H., "A new LPV modeling approach using PCA-based parameter set mapping to design a PSS", Journal of Advanced Research, Vol. 8, No. 1, (2017), 23-32. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2016.10.006).
- Shamma, J.S., "An overview of LPV system",Control of linear parameter varying systems with applications,Mohammadpour, J. and Scherer, C. eds., Springer, Boston, MA, (2012), 3-26. (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-1833-7_1).
- Bruzelius, F., "An approach to gain scheduling linear parameter varying system", Chalmers University of Technology, (2004). (https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=8860385).
- Sato, M. and Peaucelle, D., "Gain-scheduled output-feedback controllers using inexact scheduling parameters for continuoustime LPV systems", Automatica, Vol. 49, No. 4, (2013), 1019-1025. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2013.01.034).
- Sadeghzadeh, A., "Gain-scheduled filtering for linear parameter-varying systems using inexact scheduling parameters with bounded variation rates", International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 26, No. 13, (2015), 2864-2879. (https://doi.org/10.1002/rnc.3482).
- Xie, R., Wang, X. and Li, Y., " H Infinity State feedback control for the stabilization of the three Euler angles of helicopter based on LMI", International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, Changsha, China, (2008). (https://doi.org/10.1109/ICICTA.2008.332).
- Soliman, H.M., Emara, H., Elshafei, A.L., Bahgat, A. and Malik, O.P., "Robust output feedback power system stabilizer design: An LMI approach", 2008 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting–Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, (2008), 1-8. (https://doi.org/10.1109/PES.2008.4596450).
- Soliman, H.M., Elshafei, A.L., Shaltout. A.A. and Morsi, M.F., "Robust power system stabilizer", IET Proceedings - Generation Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 147, No. 5, (2000), 285–291. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20000560).
- Demello, F.P. and Concordia, C., "Concepts of synchronous machine stability as affected by excitation control", IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-88, No. 4, (1969), 316-329. (https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1969.292452).
- Lofberg, J., "YALMIP: A toolbox for modeling and optimization in MATLAB", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Taipei, Taiwan, (2004). (https://doi.org/10.1109/CACSD.2004.1393890).
- Agulhari, C.M., De Oliveira, R.C.L.F. and Peres, P.L.D., "Algorithm 998: The Robust LMI Parser—A Toolbox to Construct LMI Conditions for Uncertain Systems",
, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, Vol. 45, No. 3, (2019), 1-25. (https://doi.org/10.1145/3323925).
- Yang, T.C., "Applying H∞ optimization method to power system stabilizer design, Part 1: single-machine infinite-bus systems", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 19, No. 1, (1997), 29-35. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615 (96)00026-9).
- Demello, F.P. and Concordia, C., "Concepts of synchronous machine stability as affected by excitation control", IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 88, (1969), 316-329. (https://doi.org/%2010.1109/TPAS.1969.292452)