Document Type : Research Note
Department of Agricultural Machinery Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology, University of Tehran, Karaj, Alborz, Iran.
The orientation of greenhouses is one of the effective factors in terms of radiation they receive. In the present study, a multi-span greenhouse (40 m × 93.5 m with a coverage area of 5457.44 m2) located in the central region of Iran was investigated in three orientations including: North-South (N-S), East-West (E-W), and Northeast-Southwest (NE-SW: the most frequent orientation of the existing greenhouses in the study area). The solar irradiation received on the outside surface of the greenhouse cover and the amount of irradiation captured inside the greenhouse for each orientation during the cold season were calculated using mathematical modeling and the results were compared. According to the results, in the E-W orientation, the main sections of receiving solar irradiation, such as the south and north roofs, have a better angle toward the sun; therefore, the quantity of solar irradiation captured inside the greenhouse with the E-W orientation was on average 361.48 MJ day-1 more than that with the N-S orientation. The north wall of the greenhouse could not receive the beam radiation for all the orientations investigated, and the total irradiation captured by this section was composed of the diffused radiation and the ground-reflected radiation, which is an important result for insulation of some surfaces of greenhouses.
- Duro, J.A., Lauk, C., Kastner, T., Erb, K.-H. and Haberl, H., ''Global inequalities in food consumption, cropland demand and land-use efficiency: A decomposition analysis'', Global Environmental Change, Vol. 64, (2020), 102124. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2020.102124).
- Iddio, E., Wang, L., Thomas, Y., McMorrow, G. and Denzer, A., ''Energy efficient operation and modeling for greenhouses: A literature review'', Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 117, (2020), 109480. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2019.109480).
- Taki, M., Rohani, A. and Rahmati-Joneidabad, M., Solar thermal simulation and applications in greenhouse, Information Processing in Agriculture, Vol. 5 (2018), 83–113. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inpa.2017.10.003).
- Anonymous, Annual Agricultural Statistics, Organ. Agric. (2019). (https://yazd.maj.ir), (accessed May 7, 2019).
- FAO, Iranian National Census of Agriculture, Food and Agriculture Organization, (2014). (www.fao.org), (accessed July 24, 2020).
- Mohammadi, B., Ranjbar, S. F. and Ajabshirchi, Y., Application of dynamic model to predict some inside environment variables in a semi-solar greenhouse, Information Processing in Agriculture, Vol. 5 (2018), 279–288. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inpa.2018.01.001).
- Shamim Ahamed, M., Guo, H. and Tanino, K., Energy saving techniques for reducing the heating cost of conventional greenhouses, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 178 (2019), 9–33. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2018.10.017).
- Pishgar-Komleh, S. H., Omid, M. and Heidari, M. D., On the study of energy use and GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions in greenhouse cucumber production in Yazd province, Energy. Vol. 59 (2013), 63–71. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.07.037).
- Vadiee, A. and Martin, V., Energy management in horticultural applications through the closed greenhouse concept, state of the art, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16 (2012), 5087–5100. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.04.022).
- Zarezade, M. and Mostafaeipour, A., Identifying the effective factors implementing the solar dryers for Yazd province, Iran, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 57 (2016), 765–775. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.060).
- Tiwari, G. N., Din, M., Srivastava, N. S. L., Jain, D. and Sodha, M. S., Evaluation of solar fraction (Fn) for the north wall of a controlled environment greenhouse: an experimental validation, International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 26 (2002), 203–215. (https://doi.org/10.1002/er.776).
- Gupta, M. J. and Chandra, P., Effect of greenhouse design parameters on conservation of energy for greenhouse environmental control, Energy, Vol. 27 (2002), 777–794. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-5442(02)00030-0).
- Ghosal, M. K. and Tiwari, G. N., Mathematical modeling for greenhouse heating by using thermal curtain and geothermal energy, Solar Energy, Vol. 76 (2004), 603–613. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2003.12.004).
- Gupta, R. and Tiwari, G. N., Modeling of energy distribution inside greenhouse using concept of solar fraction with and without reflecting surface on north wall, Building and Environment, Vol. 40 (2005), 63–71. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2004.03.014).
- Gupta, R., Tiwari, G. N., Kumar, A. and Gupta, A., Calculation of total solar fraction for different orientation of greenhouse using 3D-shadow analysis in Auto-CAD, Energy and Building, Vol. 47 (2012), 27–34. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.11.010).
- Attar, I., Naili, N., Khalifa, N., Hazami, M. and Farhat, A., Parametric and numerical study of a solar system for heating a greenhouse equipped with a buried exchanger, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 70 (2013), 163–173. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.02.017).
- Bouadila, S., Kooli, S., Skouri, S., Lazaar, M. and Farhat, A., Improvement of the greenhouse climate using a solar air heater with latent storage energy, Energy, Vol. 64 (2014), 663–672. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.10.066).
- Zhang, L., Xu, P., Mao, J., Tang, X., Li, Z. and Shi, J., A low cost seasonal solar soil heat storage system for greenhouse heating: Design and pilot study, Applied Energy, Vol. 156 (2015), 213–222. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.07.036).
- Ghasemi-Mobtaker, H., Ajabshirchi, Y., Ranjbar, S. F. and Matloobi, M., Solar energy conservation in greenhouse: Thermal analysis and experimental validation, Renewable Energy, Vol. 96 (2016), 509–519. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.04.079).
- Shamim Ahamed, M., Guo, H. and Tanino, K., A quasi-steady state model for predicting the heating requirements of conventional greenhouses in cold regions, Information Processing in Agriculture, Vol. 5 (2018), 33–46. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inpa.2017.12.003).
- Yildirim, N. and Bilir, L., Evaluation of a hybrid system for a nearly zero energy greenhouse, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 148 (2017), 1278–1290. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.06.068).
- Wei, B., Guo, S., Wang, J., Li, J., Wang, J., Zhang, J., Qian, C. and Sun, J., Thermal performance of single span greenhouses with removable back walls, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 141 (2016), 48–57. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2015.11.008).
- Von Elsner, B., Briassoulis, D., Waaijenberg, D., Mistriotis, A., von Zabeltitz, C., Gratraud, J., Russo, G. and Suay-Cortes, R., Review of Structural and Functional Characteristics of Greenhouses in European Union Countries: Part I, Design Requirements, Journal of Agricultural Engineering. Research, Vol. 75 (2000), 1–16. (https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1999.0502).
- Kendirli, B., Structural analysis of greenhouses: A case study in Turkey, Building and Environment, Vol. 41 (2006), 864–871. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2005.04.013).
- Sethi, V. P., On the selection of shape and orientation of a greenhouse: Thermal modeling and experimental validation, Solar Energy, Vol. 83 (2009), 21–38. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2008.05.018).
- Singh, R.D. and Tiwari, G.N. Energy conservation in the greenhouse system: A steady state analysis, Energy, Vol. 35 (2010), 2367–2373. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2010.02.003).
- Çakır, U. and Şahin, E., Using solar greenhouses in cold climates and evaluating optimum type according to sizing, position and location: A case study, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 117 (2015), 245–257. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2015.08.005).
- El-Maghlany, W. M., Teamah, M.A. and Tanaka, H., Optimum design and orientation of the greenhouses for maximum capture of solar energy in North Tropical Region, Energy Conversion and. Management, Vol. 105 (2015), 1096–1104. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.066).
- Stanciu, C., Stanciu, D. and Dobrovicescu, A., Effect of Greenhouse Orientation with Respect to E-W Axis on its Required Heating and Cooling Loads, Energy Procedia, Vol. 85 (2016), 498–504. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.12.234).
- Chen, C., Li, Y., Li, N., Wei, S., Yang, F., Ling, H., Yu, N. and Han, F., A computational model to determine the optimal orientation for solar greenhouses located at different latitudes in China, Solar Energy, Vol. 165 (2018), 19–26. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.02.022).
- Ghasemi-Mobtaker, H., Ajabshirchi, Y., Ranjbar, S.F. and Matloobi, M., Simulation of thermal performance of solar greenhouse in north-west of Iran: An experimental validation, Renewable Energy, Vol. 135 (2019), 88–97. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2018.10.003).
- Chen, J., Ma, Y. and Pang, Z., A mathematical model of global solar radiation to select the optimal shape and orientation of the greenhouses in southern China, Solar Energy, Vol. 205 (2020) 380–389. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.05.055).
- Baghestani Maybodi, N., Baghestani Maybodi, M.A. and Soufizadeh, S., Pruning height and its effect on quantitative and qualitative seed production in old saxual (Haloxylon aphyllum) forests of Yazd, Iran, Desert, Vol. 11 (2006), 27–33. (https://doi.org/10.22059/jdesert.2006.31864).
- Erbs, D. G., Klein, S.A. and Duffie, J. A., Estimation of the diffuse radiation fraction for hourly, daily and monthly-average global radiation, Solar Energy, Vol. 28 (1982), 293–302. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-092X(82)90302-4).
- Duffie, J. A. and Beckman, W. A., Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, fourth ed., John Wiley & Son, New Jersey, (2013), (https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118671603)
- Sethi, V.P. and Sharma, S.K., Thermal modeling of a greenhouse integrated to an aquifer coupled cavity flow heat exchanger system, Solar Energy. Vol. 81 (2007), 723–741. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2006.10.00-2).
- Mertens, K., Photovoltaics : fundamentals, technology and practice, first ed., John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK., 2014), (https://www.google.com/books/edition/Photovoltaics/AMNcDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Mertens,+K.,+Photovoltaics+:+fundamentals,+technology+and+practice+first+edition&pg=PR14&printsec=frontcover)
- Godbey, L. C., Bond, T. and Zornig, E. H. F., Transmission of Solar and Long-Wavelength Energy by Materials Used as Covers for Solar Collectors and Greenhouses, Trans, ASAE, Vol. 22 (1979), 1137–1144. (https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.35169).
- O. Kitani, O. and Jungbluth, T., CIGR handbook of agricultural engineering, ASAE Publications St Joseph, MI, 1999), (https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.36337).
- Berroug, F., Lakhal, E. K., El Omari, M., Faraji, M. and El Qarnia, H., Thermal performance of a greenhouse with a phase change material north wall, Energy and Building, Vol. 43 (2011), 3027–3035. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.07.020).