Document Type : Research Article
1 Department of Technology Management, Sciences and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
2 Department of Economics, Sciences and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
3 Department of Industrial Management, Karaj Branch, Islamic Azad University, Karaj, Alborz, Iran.
4 School of Management and Soft Technologies, Malek Ashtar University of Technology, Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
This research aims to determine the influence of fundamental, applied, developmental research and Nanofabrication (NanoFab) centers on the final outcomes achieved by research and development activities, implying product development and value creation in nanotechnology. Data were collected through library studies and field studies in this study and research factors were also identified. To confirm the collected factors, structural equation technique and Smart PLS software were used and after confirming the research factors, the collected data were analyzed using fuzzy inference method and MATLAB software. The achieved results indicated that this field had the most performance despite the minimal influence of fundamental research on the final results of research and development activities and developmental research, while NanoFabs had the poorest performance with the highest influence on the final results of research activities. It is possible to conclude according to the research results that research and development activities at the fundamental and applied levels cannot easily be connected to the end ring, i.e., industry without NanoFab centers, and provide the final product and create value. Furthermore, providing NanoFab or NanoFabs with emphasis on the development of nanomaterial can significantly affect the development of renewable energies.
- Research and Development
- Structural Equations
- Fuzzy Inference
- Renewable Energy
- Aghaee, F., Mahdian Dehkordi, N., Bayati, N. and Hajizadeh, A., "Distributed control methods and impact of communication failure in AC microgrids: A comparative review", Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 11, (2019), 231-254. (https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics8111265).
- Bayati, N., Baghaee, H.R., Hajizadeh, A. and Soltani, M., "A fuse saving scheme for DC microgrids with high penetration of renewable energy resources", IEEE Access, Vol. 8, (2020), 137407-137417. (https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3012195).
- Miller, G. and Senjen, R., "Out of the laboratory and on to our plates: Nanotechnology in food & agriculture", (2014). (http://emergingtech.foe.org.au/resources/out-of-the-laboratory-and-on-to-our-plates-nanotechnology-in-food-and-agriculture/), (Accessed: 25 July 2014).
- StatNano | Roadmap; nanotechnology and Dutch opportunities, (2013). (https://statnano.com/policydocument/79/Roadmap-Nanotechnology-and-Dutch-Opportunities#ixzz6u4aBw5bu), (Accessed: 7 May 2013).
- Mahmodzadeh, M, Alborzi, M. and Khalili Shorini, S., "Analysis of the structure of Iran's nano-innovation network in the field of health", Quarterly of Scientific-Research of Science-Technology Policy, Vol. 6, No. 3, (2014), 29-53. (In Farsi). (http://jstp.nrisp.ac.ir/article_12908.html).
- Keshavarz, M., Rahimi, M. and Salimi, M., "The Role of research and development centers (R&D) in innovation system", Industry and University, Vol. 3, No. 7, (2020), 13-29. (In Farsi). (http://jiu.ir/fa/Article/6620).
- OECD | Gross domestic spending on R&D, (2019). (https://data.oecd.org/rd/gross-domestic-spending-on-r-d.htm), (Accessed: 20 June 2019).
- Miyazaki, K. and Islam, N., "Nanotechnology systems of innovation-An analysis of industry and academia research activities", Technovation, Vol. 27, No. 11, (2007), 661-675. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2007.05.009).
- OECD | Frascati manual, guide lines for collecting and reporting data on research and experimental development, (2015). (https://www.oecd.org/publications/frascati-manual-2015-9789264239012-en.htm), (Accessed: 08 August 2015).
- Azarpajhoh, E. and Hamedzadeh, T., "A study of research and development systems in developed and developing countries", Proceedings of the National Conference of Industrial Research and Development Centers of the Country, Tehran, IR Iran, (2000), 474-489. (In Farsi). (https://civilica.com/doc/21662/).
- ALBERTA | NanoFab, fabrication & characterization centre, (2019). (https://www.nanofab.ualberta.ca), (Accessed: 14 October 2015).
- Novickis, L., Mitasiunasb, A. and Ponomarenkoa, V., "Information technology transfer model as a bridge between science and business sector", Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 104, (2017), 120-126. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2017.01.083).
- Burns, E. and Rajcan, A., "Research productivity of sociology PhD candidates at interdisciplinary schools of social science at elite Australian universities, 2013–17: A gender perspective", Journal of Sociology, Vol. 57, No. 3, (2021), 501-521. (https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1440783320927094).
- Ivančević, V. and Luković, I., "National university rankings based on open data: A case study from Serbia", Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 126, (2018), 1516-1525. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2018.08.124).
- Zarei Mahmodabadi, M., Tahari Mehrjerdi, M.H. and Mahdavian, A.R., "Evaluation of R&D activities in Iran: An approach to data envelopment analysis", Industrial Management. University of Tehran, Vol. 6, No. 1, (2015), 47-55. (in Farsi) (https://imj.ut.ac.ir/article_52235.html).
- Pourghafarmaghferati, A,. Pishgar, F. and Gharakhani, D, "Presenting a conceptual model for evaluating the performance of R&D units of manufacturing companies with DEA / AHP approach, Case study: Guilan province", Industrial Management, Vol. 9, (2014), 25-40. (In Farsi). (https://www.sid.ir/fa/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=230681).
- Abd Latif, N.S., Abdullah, A. and Mohd Jan, N., " A pilot study of entrepreneurial orientation towards commercialization of university research products", Procedia Economics and Finance, Vol. 37, (2016), 93–99. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212567116300983).
- Ali, A. and Sinha, K., "Exploring the opportunities and challenges in nanotechnology innovation in India", Journal of Social Science for Policy Implications, Vol. 2, No. 2, (2014), 227-251. (http://jsspi.com/vol-2-no-2-june-2014-abstract-12-jsspi).
- Shamsi, M. and Nourmohammadi, H.A., "Identification of the most important models and indicators in the evaluation of science and technology in Iranian knowledge-based companies", Journal of Scientometrics, Vol. 4, No. 2, (2018), 1-16. (in Farsi) (http://rsci.shahed.ac.ir/article_536.html).
- Chen, K., Kou, M. and Fu, X., "Evaluation of multi-period regional R&D effciency: An application of dynamic DEA to China's regional R&D systems", Omega, Vol. 74, (2018), 103-114. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2017.01.010).
- Shapira, P., Youtie, J. and Kay, L., "National innovation systems and the globalization of nanotechnology innovation", Technology Transfer, Vol. 36, No. 6, (2011), 587-604. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-011-9212-0).
- Wang, G. and Guan, J., "Value chain of nanotechnology: A comparative study of some major players", journal of Nanoparticle Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, (2012), 1-14. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-011-0702-7).
- INIC | Performance report of the document on the development of nanotechnology in Iran, (2015). (https://nano.ir/page/1/5009#rep2), (Accessed: 18 April 2015).
- StatNano | Status of nano-science, technology and innovation, (2017). (https://statnano.com/publications/4144/StatNano-2016-Status-of-Nano-science-Technology-and-Innovation), (Accessed: 25 July 2017).
- Ansari, R. and Tayebi, H.R., "Study and explanation of research and technology organizations in Iran's national innovation , Case study: University Jihad", Technology Growth, Vol. 10, No. 37, (2012), 13-21. (in Farsi) (https://www.sid.ir/fa/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=217026).
- EARTO | Position on the next generation of European union research and innovation programmers, (2011). (https://www.earto.eu/wp- content/uploads/EARTO_Response_Innovation_Union_Final_01.pdf), (Accessed: 25 July 2011).
- Thuriaux-Alemán, B., Eagar, R., Webster, P. and Ku, B., "Research & technology institutes-meeting the challenges of the post-recession world", (2010). (https://www.adlittle.com/sites/default/files/viewpoints/ADL_Research_Technology_Institutes.pdf), (Accessed: 27 July 2010).
- Alizadeh, P., "Promotion policies of R&D and innovation (2): Research and technology Oorganizations", (2012). (in Farsi) (https://rc.majlis.ir/fa/report/show/804856). (Accessed: 27 January 2012)
- Sá, C.M., "Redefining university roles in regional economies: A case study of university–industry relations and academic organization in nanotechnology", Springer Science, Vol. 61, (2011), 193-208. (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10734-010-9332-8).
- Franco, R., "NanoFab: Making nanotechnology work for industry Veneto", (2010). (https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/projects/best-practices/italy/1367), (Accessed: 10 July 2010).
- Chung, B.H., Park, H.K. and Jung, Y., "Nanobiotechnology R&D strategy in the Republic of Korea", Asia-Pacific Biotech News, Vol. 10, No. 17, (2006), 978-987. (https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219030306001510).
- NIST | An assessment of the national institute of standards and technology center for nanoscale science and technology fisical year 2016, (2017). (https://www.nist.gov/system/files/documents/2017/01/03/cnst_nas_assessment_fy_2016_final_report.pdf), (Accessed: 27 April 2017).
- NIST | The NIST center for nanoscale science and technology: Ssupporting US innovation in nanotechnology, (2010). (https://www.nist.gov/publications/nist-center-nanoscale-science-and-technology-supporting-us-innovation-nanotechnology), (Accessed: 15 July 2011).
- NIST | Theory and modeling of materials for renewable energy, (2020). (https://www.nist.gov/programs-projects/theory-and-modeling-materials-renewable-energy), (Accessed: 18 August 2020).
- Kadhim Hussein, A., "Applications of nanotechnology in renewable energies, A comprehensive overview and understanding", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 42, (2015), 460-476. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.10.027).
- Amagu Echiegu, E., "Nanotechnology as a tool for enhanced renewable energy application in developing countries", Journal of Fundamentals of Renewable Energy and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 6, (2016). (https://doi.org/10.4172/2090-4541.1000e113).
- Moon, R.J., Frihart, C.R. and Wegner, T., "Nanotechnology applications in the forest products industry", Forest Products Journal, Vol. 56, No. 5, (2006), 4-10. (hhttps://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/24445).
- NNI | A progress review of the nanotechnology for solar energy collection and conversion (Solar) NSI, (2015). https://www.nano.gov/sites/default/files/pub_resource/nsi_status_report_solar_12_2015.pdf), (Accessed: December 2015).
- Faramarzi, V. and Sofyanian, A.R., "Evaluation of environmental effects using fuzzy logic inference model", Environmental Science, Vol. 40, No. 4, (2014), 973-988. (in Farsi) (https://dx.doi.org/10.22059/jes.2014.53013).
- Nematizadeh, S., Bidar, A. and Alizadeh, N., "Evaluation of the use of DMA electronic trading system in increasing the volume of transactions on the Tehran Stock Exchange using the fuzzy inference model", Quarterly of Scientific-Research of Financial Knowledge of Securities Analysis, Vol. 5, No. 15, (2012), 131-150. (in Farsi) (https://jfksa.srbiau.ac.ir/article_3154.html).