Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Technology, University of Med Boudiaf, M’sila, Algeria.
Laboratory of Materials and Mechanics of Structure L.M.MS, University of Med Boudiaf, M’sila, Algeria.
Laboratory of Renewable Energy and Sustainable Development L.R.E.S.E, University of Mentouri Brothers, Constantine, Algeria.
The study explores the impact of surface orientation and tilt on incident solar irradiation. It was conducted in M'Sila, an Algerian province, from February to June. A number of experiments were carried out using an experimental setup consisting of a heliometer and a slant changer, which allowed for the variation of the tilt angle. Nineteen tilt angles ranging from 0° to 90° were investigated for the four main directions: North, South, East, and West. The obtained outcomes were statistically analyzed. At east and south orientations, incident solar irradiance rose as a function of tilt angle, reaching a maximum at the optimal angle, and then gradually decreased. Generally, the incident solar irradiance decreased as the tilt angle increased in the case of west and north orientations. The tilt angle of the exposed surface as well as the sun's elevation in the sky affected the amount of intercepted energy significantly at each orientation (p<0.05). When the sun was low in the sky, the south orientation was most preferred for an inclination greater than or equal to 25°. The north-facing surfaces with steep slopes (β³ 55°) received the least amount of solar radiation. These results hold great importance, particularly in the building sector, as they can be utilized to achieve energy saving.
- Kalogirou, S. A., "Solar thermal collectors and applications", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 30, (2004), 231–295. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2004.02.001).
- Ka-LunLau, K., Lindberg, F., Johansson, E., Rasmussen, M. I., Thorsson, S., "Investigating solar energy potential in tropical urban environment: A case study of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania", Sustainable cities and Society, Vol. 30, (2017), 118-127. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2017.01.010).
- Chegaar, M., Chibani, A.,"Global solar radiation estimation in Algeria", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 42, (2001), 967-973. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00105-9)
- Handoyo, E. A., Ichsani, D., Prabowo, "The Optimal Tilt Angle of a Solar Collector", Energy Procedia, Vol. 2, (2013), 166-175.(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2013.05.022).
- Devereux, L. R., & Cole, J. M., "Data-driven materials discovery for solar photovoltaics", Data Science Applied to Sustainability Analysis, (2021), 129–164. (https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-817976-5.00008-5).
- Kousksou, T., Allouhi, A., Belattar, M., Jamil, A., El Rhafiki, T., Arid, A., Zeraouli, Y., " Renewable energy potential and national policy directions for sustainable development in Morocco", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 47, (2015), 46-57. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.02.056).
- Skeiker, K., "Optimum Tilt Angle And Orientation For Solar Collectors In Syria", Energy Conversion And Management, Vol. 50 (9),(2009), 2439-2448. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2009.05.031).
- El-Kassaby, M. M., "Monthly and daily optimum tilt angle for south facing solar collectors; theoretical model, experimental and empirical correlations", Solar & Wind Technology, Vol. 5 (6),(1988), 589–96. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0741-983X(88)90054-9).
- Anshul, A., Akash, K. S., Murali, M.S.R., Chandrakant, D., Shukla, K.N., Deepak, P., Geetam, R., "Review on sun tracking technology in solar PV system", Energy Reports, Vol. 6, (2020), 392-405. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2020.02.004).
- Elminir, H. K., Ghitas, A. El-Hussainy, E.F., Hamid, R., Beheary, M.M., Abdel-Moneim, K. M.,"Optimum solar flat-plate collector slope: Case study for Helwan, Egypt", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 47, (2006), 624–637. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.05.015).
- Torres, D., & Crichigno, J., "Influence of Reflectivity and Cloud Cover on the Optimal Tilt Angle of Solar Panels", Resources, Vol. 4(4), (2015), 736–750. (https://doi.org/10.3390/resources4040736).
- Basharat, J., Abid T. S., Naiem A., "Estimation of solar radiation and optimum tilt angles for south-facing surfaces in Humid Subtropical Climatic Region of India", Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Vol. 19 (4), (2016), 1826-1835. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2016.10.004).
- Jakhrani, A. Q., Othman, A., Rigit, A. R.H., Saleem R. S., Shakeel A. K., "Estimation of Incident Solar Radiation on Tilted Surface by Different Empirical Models", International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Vol. 2(12), (2012). (http://www.ijsrp.org/research-paper-1212.php?rp=P12487).
- Shukla, K.N., Rangnekar S., Sudhakar, K., "Comparative study of isotropic and anisotropic sky models to estimate solar radiation incident on tilted surface: A case study for Bhopal, India", Energy Reports, Vol. 1, (2015), 96-103.(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2015.03.003).
- Ashetehe, A. A., Gessesse, B. B., Shewarega, F., "A generalized approach for the determination of optimum tilt angle for solar photovoltaic modules with selected locations in Ethiopia as illustration examples", Scientific African, Vol. 18, (2022). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sciaf.2022.e01433).
- Qiu, Dr G., & Riffat, S. B., "Optimum tilt angle of solar collectors and its impact on performance", International Journal of Ambient Energy, Vol. 24 (1), (2003), 13-20. (https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2003.9674898).
- Hafez, A.Z., Soliman, A., El-Metwally, K.A., Ismail, I.M., "Tilt and azimuth angles in solar energy applications – A review", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 77, (2017), 147-168. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.03.131).
- Duffie, J. A., Beckman, W. A., Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, Wiley, New York, (1982).
- Calabrò, E., "An Algorithm to Determine the Optimum Tilt Angle of a Solar Panel from global horizontal solar radiation", Journal of Renewable Energy, (2013), 1-12. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/307547).
- Idowu, O. S., Olarenwaju O. M., and Ifedayo, O. I., "Determination of optimum tilt angles for solar collectors in low-latitude tropical region", International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, Vol. 4 (29), (2013). (http://www.journal-ijeee.com/content/4/1/29).
- Ihaddadene, N., Ihaddadene R., and Charika, A., "Best Tilt Angle of Fixed Solar Conversion Systems at M’Sila Region (Algeria)", Energy Procedia, Vol 118, (2017), 63–71. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.014).
- Duffie, J. A., Beckman, W. A., Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, 2nd ed. John Wiley&sons, Inc, Canada, (1991).
- El-Sebaii, A.A., Al-Hazmi, F.S., Al-Ghamdi A.A., and Yaghmour, S.J., "Global, direct and diffuse solar radiation on horizontal and tilted surfaces in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia", Applied Energy, Vol. 87, (2010), 568 –576. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.06.032).
- Kherbiche, Y., Ihaddadene, N., Ihaddadene, R., Hadji, F., Mohamed, J., Beghidja, A.H., "Solar energy potential evaluation. Case of study: M'Sila, an Algerian Province", International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning, Vol. 16 (8), (2021), 1501-1508. (https://doi.org/10.18280/ijsdp.160811).
- Ihaddadene, N., Ihaddadene, R., Betka, A., "Experimental Investigation of Using a Novel Insulation Material on the Functioning of a Solar Thermal Collector", Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 140 (6), 06100, (2018). (DOI:10.1115/1.4039747).
- Jafarkazemi, F., Ali Saadabadi, S., "Optimum tilt angle and orientation of solar surfaces in Abu Dhabi, UAE", Renewable Energy, Vol. 56, (2013), 44-49. (DOI:10.1016/j.renene.2012.10.036).
- Gunerhan, H., Hepbasli, A., "Determination of the optimum tilt angle of solar collectors for building applications", Building and Environment, Vol. 42(2),(2007), 779-783. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2005.09.012).
- Li, D. H. W., Lam, T. N. T., "Determining the Optimum Tilt Angle and Orientation for Solar Energy Collection Based on Measured Solar Radiance Data", International Journal of Photoenergy, (2007), 1–9. (https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/85402).