Document Type : Research Article
Department of Electrical Engineering, Annamalai University and Annamalai Nagar 608002, India.
Department of Electrical Engineering, SRKREC and Bhimavaram, India.
In the present day, a significant portion of the world's energy demand can be satisfied through the utilization of renewable energy sources. Solar energy, in particular, holds a pivotal position owing to its numerous merits. However, it faces a challenge known as mismatch response within the photovoltaic (PV) modules of an array when subjected to partial shading. This issue restricts power output, leads to the formation of local hot spots, and results in the underutilization of PV modules within the array. One of the most effective solutions to address this problem is optimizing the PV array (PVA) configuration to maximize output power under partial shading (PS) conditions. In this research paper, we commence with a thorough numerical analysis under uniform shading conditions. Following that, we scrutinize the performance of six traditional PVA configurations and three hybrid PVA configurations under PS conditions. The results consistently indicate that the Total Cross Tied (TCT) configuration outperforms others in all shading scenarios in terms of mitigating mismatch power loss, enhancing the fill factor, and improving overall efficiency.
- Desai, and S. Mikkili. "Comprehensive Analysis of Conventional and Hybrid PV Configurations Under Partial Shading Conditions to Mitigate Mismatching Loss and Optimize the Output Power," Journal of Control, Automation and Electrical Systems, pp. 1-22, Sep 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40313-021-00800-2
- Bhadoria, Vikas Singh, Rupendra Kumar Pachauri, Shubham Tiwari, Shiva Pujan Jaiswal, and Hassan Haes Alhelou. "Investigation of different BPD placement topologies for shaded modules in a series-parallel configured PV array." IEEE Access 8 (2020): 216911-216921. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3041715
- Belhachat, C. Larbes, “Modeling, analysis and comparison of solar photovoltaic array configurations under partial shading conditions,” Sol. Energy, vol. 120, pp. 399–418, Oct 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2015.07.039
- Goud, J. Saikrishna, R. Kalpana, Bhim Singh, and Shailendra Kumar. "A global maximum power point tracking technique of partially shaded photovoltaic systems for constant voltage applications." IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 10, no. 4 (2018): 1950-1959. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2018.2876756
- Harish Kumar Varma, G., Venugopal Reddy Barry, and Rohit Kumar Jain. "A Novel Magic Square Based Physical Reconfiguration for Power Enhancement in Larger Size Photovoltaic Array." IETE Journal of Research (2021): 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/03772063.2021.1944333
- Husain, Alaa AF, Wan Zuha W. Hasan, Suhaidi Shafie, Mohd N. Hamidon, and Shyam Sudhir Pandey. "A review of transparent solar photovoltaic technologies." Renewable and sustainable energy reviews 94 (2018): 779-791. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.06.031
- Kho, Charles Tze Kang, Jubaer Ahmed, Yi Lung Then, and Mostefa Kermadi. "Mitigating the effect of partial shading by triple-tied configuration of PV modules." In 2018 IEEE PES Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), pp. 532-537. IEEE, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/APPEEC.2018.8566375
- Krishna, Sai G., and Tukaram Moger. "Optimal SuDoKu reconfiguration technique for total-cross-tied PV array to increase power output under non-uniform irradiance." IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 34, no. 4 (2019): 1973-1984. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2019.2921625
- Okan Bingol and Burcin Ozkaya, “Analysis and Comparison of different PV array configurations under partial shading conditions,” Solar Energy, vol. 160, pp. 336-343, Jan 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.12.004
- Premkumar, M., Subramaniam, U., Babu, T.S., Elavarasan, R.M. and Mihet-Popa, L., 2020. Evaluation of mathematical model to characterize the performance of conventional and hybrid PV array topologies under static and dynamic shading patterns. Energies, 13(12), p.3216. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13123216
- R. Pendem and S. Mikkili, “Modelling and performance assessment of PV array topologies under partial shading conditions to mitigate the mismatching power losses,” Solar Energy, Vol. 160, pp. 303-321, Jan 2018.
- Suresh, H.N., Rajanna, S., Thanikanti, S.B. and Alhelou, H.H., 2022. Hybrid interconnection schemes for output power enhancement of solar photovoltaic array under partial shading conditions. IET Renewable Power Generation. https://doi.org/10.1049/rpg2.12543
- Tatabhatla, Venkata Madhava Ram, Anshul Agarwal, and Tirupathiraju Kanumuri. "Improved power generation by dispersing the uniform and non-uniform partial shades in solar photovoltaic array." Energy Conversion and Management 197 (2019): 111825. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2019.111825
- Zhou, Guohua, Qingxin Tian, Minrui Leng, Xianyan Fan, and Qiang Bi. "Energy management and control strategy for DC microgrid based on DMPPT technique." IET Power Electronics 13, no. 4 (2020): 658-668. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2019.0383