Document Type : Research Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kurdistan, Sanandaj , Kurdistan, Iran
This study analyzes the thermal performance of solar thermal energy using double-pass absorber plate in Sanandaj, Iran. To this end, a mathematical model was encoded according to the energy and exergy balance equations and solved by MATLAB software. Given the environmental conditions and radiation intensity of a winter day in Sanandaj, the effects of external parameters such as radiation intensity and internal parameters such as canal’s height, inlet mass flow rate, absorber length as well as some physical parameters on the efficiency of the system were analyzed and the energy and exergy output of the system was studied. To validate the proposed model, the results obtained from numerical simulation were compared with experimental data, which showed an acceptable compatibility. Finally, the ability of the system to supply the thermal load of the building in the given day was examined and the roles of various factors in the area under thermal coverage of this system were analyzed. The obtained findings indicated that a system with an area of 3 m2 and mass rate of 250 kg/hr in radiation intensity of 619 W/m2 and temperature of 3.45° is capable of supplying the thermal load of a space with an approximate area of 14 m2.
3. Wijeysundera, N.E., Lee, A.H. and Tjioe, L.E., “Thermal performance study of two pass solar air
heaters”, Solar Energy, Vol. 28, (1982), 363–370.
4. Persad, P. and Satcunanathan, S., “The thermal performance of the two pass, two glass cover solar air
heater”, Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 105, No. 3, (1983), 254-258.
5. Moummi, N., Ali, S.Y., Moummi, A. and Desmons, J.Y., “Energy analysis of a solar air collector with rows
of fins”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 29, No.13, (2004), 2053–2064.
6. Mohamad, AA., “High efficiency solar air heater”, Solar Energy, Vol. 60, No. 2,(1997), 71-76.
7. Sopian, K., Supranto,W.R., Daud, W., Yatim, B. and Othman, M.Y., “Thermal performance of the doublepass solar collector with and without porous media”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 18, No. 4, (1999), 557–564.
8. Krishnananth, S.S. and Kalidasa Murugavel, K., “Experimental study on double pass solar air heater
with thermal energy storage”, Journal of King Saud University –Engineering Sciences, Vol. 25, No.2,
9. Mahmud Alkilani, M., Sopian, K., Alghoul, M.A., ohif, and Ruslan, M.H., “Review of solar air collectors with
thermal storage units”, Renewable Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, No. 3, (2011), 1476-1490.
10. Ong, K.S., “Thermal performance of solar air heaters– mathematical model and solution procedure”, Solar Energy, Vol. 55, No. 2, (1995), 93–109.
11. Mihalakakou,G., “On the use of sunspace for space heating/cooling in Europe”, Renewable Energy, Vol.
26, No. 3, (2002), 415–429.
12. Ji, J., Luo, C.L., Sun, W., He, W., Pei, G. and Han, C.W., “A numerical and experimental study of a dualfunction solar collector integrated with building in passive space heating mode”, Chinese Science Bulletin,
Vol.55, No. 15, (2010), 1568–1573.
13. Zhao, D.L., Li, Y., Dai,Y.J. and Wang, R.Z., “Optimal study of a solar air heating system with pebble bed
energy storage”, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 52, No. 6, (2011), 2392–2400.
14. Saadatian, O., Sopian, K., Lim, C.H., Asim, N. and Sulaiman, M.Y., “Trombe walls: a review of opportunities and challenges in research and development”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16, No. 8, (2012), 6340–6351.
15. Carlos, J.S., Corvacho, H., Silva, P.D. and CastroGomes, J.P., “Heat recovery versus solar collection in a ventilated double window”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 37, (2012), 258–266.
16. John, A.D. and William, A.B., “Solar engineering of thermal processes”, Wiley, Hoboken NJ, (2006).
19. Szargut, J., Morris, D. R. and Stewart, F. R., “Exergy Analysis of Thermal, Chemical and Metallurgical
Processes”, USA, Edwards Brothers Inc., (1998).
International Journal of Energy Research,Vol. 27, No. 4, (2003), 415–430.
different obstacles on absorber plates”, Applied Energy, Vol. 87, No. 11, (2010), 3438–3450.
air heater with latent storage energy”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 39, No. 27, (2014),
systems for building applications”, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 39, (2007), 509–516.
heaters for building applications”, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 57, (2013), 338–345.
thermal air heaters”, Energy conversion and management, Vol. 37, No. 11, (1996), 1657-1670.
28. Singh, N., Kaushik, S.C. and Misra, R.D., “Exergetic analysis of a solar thermal power system”, Renewable
Energy, Vol. 19, (2000), 135–143.
30. Tabatabaee, M.H., “Construction installation calculation”, Tehran, Kelid Amoozesh, (2008). (In Persian)
31. Sopian, K., Supranto, K., Daud, W.R.W., Othman, M.Y. and Yatim,B., “Thermal performance of doublepass
solar collector with and without porous media”, Renewable energy, Vol. 18, (1999) 557–564.
32. Naphon, P., “Effect of porous media on the performance of the double-pass flat plate solar air heater”, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 32, No. 1-2, (2005), 140 – 150.